Page 14 of 78 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Hello Amy
    Sounds like youi are getting back to your life? 3 to 4 miles a day is a lot. You are doing better than OK if you ask me. I went 7.5 yseterday. I was beat last night but it was on uneven ground (farm auction). Felt very good to get out amongst the normal people. Sore today but still logged 3 miles. My foot doesn't give me much trouble. Just tightness of the tendons on top of my foot where they go between big toe and the next one. This has bugged me from the beginning. My knee grinds and pop. Some pain below the kneecap and the top of the tibia aches pretty bad when I overdue it. Twisting adds some new dimensions of pain such as stepping in a hole. For the most part the leg is healing up faster than expected though. I am looking forward to summer too. Hope it doesn't get into triple digits all summer like last year. Glad you enjoyed San Diego. I have been there one time it is a neat city. Going to LA in May that should be interesting. Airport security should be fun. I like California but not sure I could live with that many people day in day out?
    Do you use a ting unit for electric shock therapy? They start my PT with heat and the ting every visit. Loosens the knee up to start with. Ice cool down with tinge at the end. I have been going to therpy since the first of November. I have seen total knee, hip, shoulder replacements, repair etc. They come and go and I am still there. I know all of the therapist very well now along with the assistants and staff. I also have some new friends that I have met thru that place. My doc gave me the choice of going or not going. I choose to go (wife doesn't see why I still go!). They seem to be able to find a way to fix the little bad habits I have developed so maybe I will walk normal eventually. PT is the only reason I have been able to advance this fast.
    I wish I could ease back into work but that isn't an option. I start back full time the end of the month. My boss assured me he would give me some light duty and flexible hours but I need to get my hours in to eat. Short Term runs out in April anyway. Good days outnumber the bad days that is the best part.
    My accident wasn't my fault so my insurance situation is probably different. E mail or PM me if you want to hear the entire story of my accident. It is a long story. I wanted to take spring break week off then start back to work so 2 visits a week should finish me up. I will miss those guys but looking forward to returning to my rat race in the working world. I will check in here regularly for a while. Possibly I can help someone get thru this mess by sharing the wealth of knowledge I have earned.
    thanks
    jesse

Quote Originally Posted by liamy View Post
    Hi Jesse. I'm still here, I've just been quiet
    I finally started work last week. It's so nice to be back! I only do 6hrs/day twice a week for two weeks, then three days a week. I have three months to work up to 12hour days. I'm doing some education projects that put me at a computer half the time and walking around the hospital half the time. I've been clocking in at 3-4 miles while I'm there. It seems like it should be more! I'm sore at the end of the day but feel back to "normal" quickly. My foot and ankle have flared up again and making my limp alot worse. I spent a long weekend down in sunny San Diego and found that my new knee loves the warmer weather. I'm looking forward to summer!
    6.5 miles?! Good for you! I'm jealous
    I'm still struggling with getting extension but it's so much better. I can definitely get it straight, it just doesn't stay! I have some stretches that my husband helps me with and it seems to help. Some days it seems straight as can be and other days it seems so bent. You know the story, good days followed by not good days.
    So, only 4 more PT appts? My Pt says he's never treated anyone along as me (my last one said that too). Does your insurance limit it, or does PT think you've had enough? I can't imagine not going to PT any longer. It's (unfortunately) become a part of my life!
    Take care....amy

Great news for me! I had my 3 month check up and was able to get to 129 degrees, so NO manipulation surgery for leg 1. Now my goal is to get leg 1 to be strong enough to support me weight so that I can have Meniscus and ACL surgery on my leg 2 (that has a non displaced TPF). I hope to have that in the next 3 weeks. I am riding stationary bike now and walking with crutches for short periods of time until leg 2 causes issues.

For all new TPF patients....It DOES GET BETTER! Stay positive and keep working hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Mallen65 View Post
    I had my 6 month check up today. Level VI, 3 plates and 19 screws, everything holding up fine. The problem with having a OS in a large city trauma hospital is you never get to see the same Doctor every time. I have only seen the actual surgeon once, all the other check ups have been with the resident on staff at the time. Today was no exception, the doctor I met with has a lot to learn about his bedside manor. I had two major concerns, I cannot walk up or down a flight of stairs with out major pain, and when sitting or laying down with my leg bent I have major pain when I straighten my leg. I was told that this is the best it's going to get, that I should stop with pt and just go about my life and be careful. I have been through hell and back and this is the answer I get from a doctor that up until he entered my room only knows me by the X-rays I just had. He told me when the pain gets bad enough that I want to do something about it that I can come back and get a steroid shot in my knee. He then told me when things get so bad that I can't take it anymore, we can talk about knee replacement.

He told me that everything I was going through was "normal" and it can take up to 2 years before things get better. I said you just told me this is as good as it gets, and now you say things will get better but it will take a couple of years. I felt that he thought I was second guessing him but I was trying to understand what he was trying to tell me. I gave up after that, I am going about my business and if I need to go back I will make an appointment with the surgeon that put me back together and if I can't see him I will find another doctor. I bought a exercise bike today so I will use that everyday along with all the other exercise's and stretching I do every morning and evening. I am not going to let that doctor visit get me down, I will move on from here and do this on my own. This has been a hell of a roller coaster ride and now I am ready to get off. I am grateful to be walking and back to work. I am going to work hard to get back to some of the other activities I enjoy by summer time. I have learned a lot and I am ready to move on. Thanks to everyone on this site who shared there stories and there feelings, and advice, it has helped me get a lot. I am signing off for good and putting this whole experience behind me. Thanks again and good luck to all!!
    hang in there!!

Quote Originally Posted by 97r82 View Post
    Hello Amy
    Sounds like youi are getting back to your life? 3 to 4 miles a day is a lot. You are doing better than OK if you ask me. I went 7.5 yseterday. I was beat last night but it was on uneven ground (farm auction). Felt very good to get out amongst the normal people. Sore today but still logged 3 miles. My foot doesn't give me much trouble. Just tightness of the tendons on top of my foot where they go between big toe and the next one. This has bugged me from the beginning. My knee grinds and pop. Some pain below the kneecap and the top of the tibia aches pretty bad when I overdue it. Twisting adds some new dimensions of pain such as stepping in a hole. For the most part the leg is healing up faster than expected though. I am looking forward to summer too. Hope it doesn't get into triple digits all summer like last year. Glad you enjoyed San Diego. I have been there one time it is a neat city. Going to LA in May that should be interesting. Airport security should be fun. I like California but not sure I could live with that many people day in day out?
    Do you use a ting unit for electric shock therapy? They start my PT with heat and the ting every visit. Loosens the knee up to start with. Ice cool down with tinge at the end. I have been going to therpy since the first of November. I have seen total knee, hip, shoulder replacements, repair etc. They come and go and I am still there. I know all of the therapist very well now along with the assistants and staff. I also have some new friends that I have met thru that place. My doc gave me the choice of going or not going. I choose to go (wife doesn't see why I still go!). They seem to be able to find a way to fix the little bad habits I have developed so maybe I will walk normal eventually. PT is the only reason I have been able to advance this fast.
    I wish I could ease back into work but that isn't an option. I start back full time the end of the month. My boss assured me he would give me some light duty and flexible hours but I need to get my hours in to eat. Short Term runs out in April anyway. Good days outnumber the bad days that is the best part.
    My accident wasn't my fault so my insurance situation is probably different. E mail or PM me if you want to hear the entire story of my accident. It is a long story. I wanted to take spring break week off then start back to work so 2 visits a week should finish me up. I will miss those guys but looking forward to returning to my rat race in the working world. I will check in here regularly for a while. Possibly I can help someone get thru this mess by sharing the wealth of knowledge I have earned.
    thanks
    jesse
    Jesse ...you are a wealth of knowledge...thank you for your support!

I walked, I walked without crutches and any other assistance today after almost 7 weeks, Wish you all the best

I remember that day. Felt kind of silly being that excited about the simple things in lilfe. All you have to do now is keep moving. I walk as much as I can stand every day. Congratulations are in order.
    thanks
    jesse

Quote Originally Posted by abcde View Post
    I walked, I walked without crutches and any other assistance today after almost 7 weeks, Wish you all the best

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
    hang in there!!
    Moonstruck has the plan mallen
    65. These doctors are smart but they don't have a clue on the healing process. If you don't go to PT just do the exercises they taught you while you were going. This type of injury takes so much longer than most broken bones we lose what little patience we had to begin with. It will get better but the pain may not totally go away. I am @ 5 months today level V/VI and I can tell you the pain is still there at times but it doesn't control me like it did in the beginning. I have 4 more PT visits then I go back to my job. That will be very interesting but I am ready to move on. These doctors are good at what they do (repair your broken stuff). They suck at helping you mentally get thru this. They should be sent us to a shrink right after breaking your tibiia? Keep a good atttitude and you will do fine. I came to a realization I won't be as good as I once was but at 50 years old that is true about a lot of things so take what you can get. Not saying I give up but I am being realistic.
    thanks
    jesse

A soccer girl's struggle with tibial plateau fracture

Quote Originally Posted by bananas View Post
    I'm 39 years old and broke my tibia plateaux 9 days ago playing soccer - I had a ski trip planned 3 weeks from now so that's off!
    Basically I charged towards the ball got it first but some monkey ploughed through me forcing my femur into my tibia - with a bit of a twist. Required a plate and 7 screws.
    I'm currently in a brace with crutches and 1 week out from surgery - have pain occasionally but can be quite severe if I even slightly twist my knee - such as trying to put on socks. Surgeons have also said that there is some cartilage damage. I had no idea how nasty this injury was until the surgeons started talking about screws and plates. I feel pretty confident about my recovery but would have to admit that this has scared the crap out of me. I asked the surgeons about my long term prognosis and they said good - I asked if i might be in pain and they said possibly due to cartilage damage - I also asked if I would have arthritis at 60 and they said yes. In some ways I'm more worried about the cartilage damage as they said that cartilage can't be regenerated - I don't think they repaired it during surgery but I could be wrong. My questions if anyone can answer are: Can cartilage be repaired ?- for example ive heard of people having the meniscus trimmed. Are other people out there worried about arthritis after recovering or hobbling around in their 50s /60s / 70s ? or is this a side issue as the bone needs to heal first and foremost. By the way I live in Australia, - I get the feeling alot of Americans /Canadians use this site. I'm seeing my surgeon in 2 weeks time to look at my progress and to possibly work out a time for me to go back to work.
    Good to see so many positive people on this site fighting through some severe fractures. I need to be more positive at present I think. It looks like most people recover even if it takes a year!
    Hey Bananas, I found this post through an internet search... you posted like 9 months ago but if you're still out there reading this, we have some real similarities with slight differences about our injury experience! I am 29 (vs. 39) and broke my right tibial plateau about 3 weeks ago, also playing soccer. I am female but was playing co-ed, and I too was going for the ball: I saw it coming, turned hard and fast for it, eyes on the ball, when suddenly two or three guys collided into me laterally at such incredible cement-like force that it shattered my TP. I have never felt such pain in my life. It was so bad I was hyperventilating and almost passed out on the field because i couldn't breathe, the pain and fear were so horrible. And I too had a ski trip planned, just 3 days after the injury occurred (vs. your 3 weeks). I also have a long plate down my tibia and several screws/ nails holding up the crushed, previously displaced pieces of bone (so that hopefully they'll fuse together and in good alignment). My leg has already atrophied so much, and it really worries me that i still cannot move my ankle/foot much at all post-op -- Doc thinks it's cuz of the nerves/ muscles that were cut in surgery. My calf muscle has shortened/ wadded up so extremely that trying to manipulate the ankle is excruciating.

Anyway, I see you plan to avoid soccer, but for me that will/would be devastating. Soccer is like part of my soul -- such a deep passion -- i feel so alive when i have soccer in my life. I have scoured the internet to find hope for returning to soccer after such an injury but I see mostly lots of people conceding that you may have to give-up contact sports for good ... But the closest hopeful article i can find is one on how USA player Stuart Holden once suffered a soccer knee fracture (though much more minor than mine, it seems-- just in the back of his knee or something) and did in fact return after the year or so of recovery. My surgeon continues to say "it depends on your recovery" but cautions even if i do return to sports, my knee will never be good as it was. For me, it's esp. sad cuz I was totally right-footed -- never could develop any skill with my left. So to face that i'll possibly never be able to kick that ball beautifully again -- it's a loss, y'know?

Also, i too am now extremely worried about knee arthritis. I have been reading everywhere that it's pretty much guaranteed to happen after a Tibial Plateau fracture, and that if the fracture occurs when you're young (like me), you're high risk for early onset arthritis. People have testified that it has occurred just within a few years post-injury! This would be devastating to me. From what i read, Osteoarthritis in the knee can be extremely dehabilitating and treatment options are not at all hopeful, at least when it comes to being able to keep playing sports. I am a totally active girl (soccer, frisbee, baseball, running, Crossfit, skiing, dancing...) so all of this has been a huge blow to me emotionally and has changed my whole life and life-plans. All cuz some guys couldn't stop themselves from crashing into me!! Such a weird unexpected moment that changes your whole life... it's hard to adjust...

I do plan to work as hard as i can in PT to get back into best shape possible. You always hear stories of people beating the doctor's prognosis right? One of the saddest near-guaranteed losses for me is that I have always been an incredibly fast sprinter. That came in so handy in soccer, making those break-aways towards the goal, etc. It is so exhilarating to be sprinting so fast you are outrunning everyone around you. I am going to miss that ability so very, very much

Hi everyone I am new on here glad i found the forum....I fractured my TP 3 weeks ago playing soccer aswell, I just jumped for the ball came down and snap worst pain ever had a an op to put in a plate and 2 screws....Finding it so hard really to sleep at the minute, On crutches and have managed to go into college last week for 3 half days ....So exhausting though, my family say that I should not be doing so much what do you all think im keeping the weight off it but very tired after the day...I only have 5 weeks till college finishes .....Any tips for someone starting out on the road to recovery ....im eating well and taking vitamins just wanna get over this im 30 years of age I know I will never play football seriously again I just want to at least be able to run round with my son and play with him....

Some inspirational stories on here that really do give you strength to overcome this
    Last edited by dannybhoy; 03-10-2012 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannybhoy View Post
    Hi everyone I am new on here glad i found the forum....I fractured my TP 3 weeks ago playing soccer aswell, I just jumped for the ball came down and snap worst pain ever had a an op to put in a plate and 2 screws....Finding it so hard really to sleep at the minute, On crutches and have managed to go into college last week for 3 half days ....So exhausting though, my family say that I should not be doing so much what do you all think im keeping the weight off it but very tired after the day...I only have 5 weeks till college finishes .....Any tips for someone starting out on the road to recovery ....im eating well and taking vitamins just wanna get over this im 30 years of age I know I will never play football seriously again I just want to at least be able to run round with my son and play with him....

Some inspirational stories on here that really do give you strength to overcome this
    Wow I am impressed you are going into college after just two weeks!! Not sure if your break is less bad than mine or something but I definitely wouldn't be able to handle that, esp with the craziness from the narcotics -- but you do what you have to i guess! Yeah sadly i think football must be be one of the least-likely-to-play-again-seriously sports out there. Sorry for that It's tough being young-ish and this happening right? i keep thinking i wish this had waited to happen until i was like 20 or 30 years older. Would've loved to have 20 more years of sports . Icing, elevating, ROM very important at this stage. I do recommend the supplements too. Not-well-known, Silica is supposed to be really good for speedy/ proper bone healing, doc's recommended to me as even better than taking calcium! (i take 5, 3x/day with meals, 3 bottles worth)... also proteolytic enzymes, big doses too (six 3x/day between meals for a week or so)

Since it looks like there are some new members to the thread I will post my latest progress report. A few of the new posters are right behind me in recovery time so hopefully this will give some encouragement.

Seven weeks ago yesterday (3/9/12) I broke my tibial plateau (type 4) and started physical therapy two weeks after the injury/surgery. I felt like at the five week mark I really hit a turning point and things started to progress and the pain started to fade drastically. The swelling, the pain, and my range of motion have all improved. I have an extension of -2 degrees and I am able to flex up to 127 degrees. It is a slow process but at each PT appointment I see a little more progress. One week from now I have my next appointment with my OS and it will be time to start the weight bearing process. It can't come fast enough. I'm over crutches, I want to be able to carry things with my hands again.

I am going back to work (temp desk job) next week and I am ready to start getting things back on track. It is still uncomfortable to crutch around but I'd rather go sit at a desk and answer phones than collect disability (which is hardly anything) and watch TV all day. Going back to the grind will help the restlessness. Hopefully the progress continues and I can be back to my normal job (40 hours per week on your feet, lifting and being mobile) by Summer.

The biggest help for my recovery lately has been clearance by the OS for stationary biking. It loosens my knee up and seems to be helping a lot. Also, I have been icing it as often as I can. Once another pack it frozen, I strap it back on my knee. Good luck to the recently injured!

Thanks chas512 this is encouraging! Yeah as a new poster it's good to meet others with this type injury... while ACL is so common to tear, i have never known/ heard of anyone that broke their knee before! At almost 3 weeks, I am barely 90 degrees flex, still sharp pains in knee/ good amount swelling. So, good to hear that eventually things hit a turning point for you! I know what you mean about wanting to get over the restlessness and crutches! Good reminder about icing too... i have been to slack on that and today my swelling's painfully increased. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
    This is my first post. My accident was due to a horseback riding injury. I have been riding all of my life and am an avid hunter/jumper equestian who is active in show jumping. I am 49 years old and am able to ride about 3-4 times a week. I work full time and am a mother to a 15 year old son, so my riding in not my highest priority.

I had a very bad accident on 10/30/12. I had just mounted my horse and was going for a typical trail ride before ring work. I was about to go in the heavy part of the woods when a loose 140 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback ran out in front of me to chase a deer. My horse spooked and took off, which in turn caused the dog to chase us towards the woods. I was falling off of the horse to the right when the lights went out. I knew that we were headed for the woods and trees ( I live in NC where we have a lot of trees) and knew I was going to hit a tree. I was knocked out at this point. The next thing I recall is EMT's putting me in neck braces carrying me out on a stretcher. After trying to relive the events of the accident, we believe that I was drug by the horse for a period of time (right leg) as the stirrup and leather were found next to me. My horse was then chased all over the property by this loose dog, until she was finally caught. She suffered some cuts as we were caught up in a grouping of for a while with the dog barking.

I was taken to a trauma center where my injuries includes, hear trauma (I was wearing a helmet), a collapsed lung, 8 broken ribs, two broken vertebrae, and a shattered tibia plateau. I spent 7 days in the hospital the first time, and had sugeries for the collapse lung, had blood and platelet transfusions to prepare me for the first leg surgery. I had an external fixator put into my leg with screws in my lower tibia and upper femur. This stayed in place for about a week. I have my tibia plateau surgery on 11/14/12. I had plates on both sides of the tibia and plate at the top of the tibia and 11 screws. My bone was shattered and there was nothing to set so I have cadeaver bone packed into my leg. I started PT in a CPM machine about 4 days following surgery. My situation has been so difficult because my broken ribs have caused me so much pain, that my PT was a slow start. It has now been about 9 weeks since the surgery and the CPM is gone and I am in PT. I am so frustrated becuase I can only get to about 90 degrees and it is painful to go any further. My Dr has already said that he may have to go in an "clean up" scar tissue that he thinks has limited my ROM. I am still in a wheel chair and have actually now aggrevated my "good knee" due to the twisting of getting up and down and in and out and had an MRI on the good new yesterday. Results are pending.

I am glad to have found this website to be able to communicate with people who have suffered a similar injury. I can now understand how terrible this injury can be. I am trying to stay positive but it sure has been hard!
    oh my goodness!!! bless your heart. How absolutely horrible. I had a friend in a car accident with similar things -- broken ribs, two collapsed lungs, fractured shoulder... i have indeed heard from many how horribly painful broken ribs are! Wow i truly look up to you for living through all this and as i see in a post below for making the most of this by getting into art and selling art and such! I too always longed to be an artist. I should follow suit with my recovery period! thanks for sharing i can't believe what you went through. Sure puts my own mammoth-feeling-injury into perspective!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanrene View Post
    thanks hev and 97r82...I've read this entire thread and everyone's various stories and injuries and recoveries and from that I try to maintain my motivation. this injury has been life altering to say the least. I have family and friends helping me and giving me support but at the end of the day, it's just me adapting to life as it is now. Each day I find more challenges: today is how in the world do i take steri strips off when it feels like I am ripping my skin off?? I had 26 staples after surgery and 4 giant holes in my leg from the ex fix. I look like I've been shot! My main focus is to strengthen my foot and ankle. I stretch and use the elastic bands but its so darn slow! I just dont know how it got so stiff in the first place..I mean I didn't break that part! sigh. And how long is it going to take before your foot doesnt' turn purple after you have it down on the ground? I imagine when I can start using it again...I am just grateful to have someone to talk to about this injury...
    Sorry for all the posts everyone but as I read back through all these old posts I have so much i want to respond to! This is exciting to find people going through same things! Ryanrene, maybe by now you've gotten all your answers, but about your earlier posts, ask your Doc, but i have had burning/ shooting pains too and was suggested this it's likely my damaged nerves trying to reconnect -- as you hoped, a good sign (nerves damaged in injury + being cut by surgeon). Also, I totally feel you about the foot/ankle-- i keep telling everyone, "it's crazy and scary, my ankle is fine but it won't move at all!!" I been majorly struggling with foot drop issues too -- have hope, it slowly gets better the more you work on it and the more your nerves/ muscles heal up!! Foot/ankle was freaking me out most post-surgery (TPF)... they swelled to elephant proportions... took days to go down... and still ever since, bottom of my foot/toes are very tingly to the touch, + i can't get my ankle to 90 degrees, and if someone tries to make it, there's excruciating pain in my calf (which PT says has shortened from non-use) and ankle and it just won't budge far. However, PT showed me how to lay/ sit with legs straight out in front, gradually pushing foot flat (as possible) against wall, stretching more and more aiming for that 90 degrees. Can put a cloth/ little pillow in between foot and wall (or arm of couch if on couch) to help. And the more you keep TRYING to do this stretch and ankle pumps/ side-to-side/ circles, urging your muscles to start working again, the better! ... And yes, just today, just for standing with crutches for a short while, i looked down and noticed my entire lower leg and foot were bright purple! Pretty freaky. I am 3 weeks post-op and wondering how long that will last too! ALSO: I had to put steri strips too cuz my wound was reopening ... but why would you take them off?? i was told not to! You just leave them on until they naturally fall off -- even if that's 2-3 weeks or whatever. Shower with them, etc... And for the scars, when you're cleared by Doc, besides vitamin E, you might try these cool silicone pads i found, "Scar Away," can order on Amazon -- used by burn centers, plastic surgeons, etc...

Question: Does anyone know of any professional athlete who ever suffered a major displaced TPF and made it back one day to his game? i can only find a couple football examples of minor/ non-displaced ... sure would be encouraging to find.

Soccergirl
    Remember this. You are young. Plenty of time to heal. It takes time and this injury takes more time than any other that I know of. Good to see you are so positive. Hang in there no one can tell you if you will ever play soccer again. You do the best to get back to normal and you will know if it iis worth it or not?
    For now you have to keep yourself occupied to kill the boredom. This site is a great place to vent. Hang in there you will do fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGirl View Post
    Question: Does anyone know of any professional athlete who ever suffered a major displaced TPF and made it back one day to his game? i can only find a couple football examples of minor/ non-displaced ... sure would be encouraging to find.

Wow. Great site. TPF on 2/13/12. Can relate to a lot in here especially the skiing in vail part...execept I was only 15 yards from a lift and just got tripped up.....and next thing I know I cannot stand. Right ski did not release and I end up at vail valley medical center on day 2 with a TPF fracture...wtf? I need surgery, a plate and six screws and 4 nights in the hospital? Well as it were if you were going to need this surgery vail is not a bad place to have it.

I am just at 4 weeks and have gotten to 128 degree of flexion and have been on a stationary bike 4 times- have to agree that is a great step. It seems I got to hit PT early and although mentally depressing, physically progressing and may lose the brace just before week 5. I got good advice, get off the drugs asap, hit the PT early and as hard as allowed. So I did those home exercises by the book and by first PT appt....120 degree of flexion and leg was straight. A lot of pain getting there in the beginning, but well worth it. My PT tells me I will be able to ski again next season, but I don't think will.....going to be tough getting back on that horse- that soon. But I do hope to ski again.

Work the knee, ice, elevate and repeat as much as possible and the flex comes back. Cannot wait to WB and get back to life.......

This a great forum and a lot of help and encouragement.

Jesse: As usual, your words of encouragement are appreciated. There are days that I just need somebody to remind me of the progress I'm making since it's as quick as watching paint dry! I always seem to read a post from you on those days. Thank you so much. My email is a.meobrien@gmail.com I'd like to hear in more detail what happened to you. I just cut back my PT to once a week. We think that we'll do that for a couple weeks and then maybe I'll see him ever few weeks so he can progress my exercises as able. There's a community pool near me and I don't know why I haven't thought to go and check it out. They have time set aside for people to use the pool for therapy. I'm going to go see what it's like on Tuesday. I've been to three PTs since the beginning of all of this. The one I'm going to now doesn't do the electricity. I haven't asked him why, he just doesn't. The other guy did it at the end of my session along with ice. Oh, how I love ice!

abcde: I'm late, but congratulations on walking!!!! I took my first three steps on Thanksgiving. I surprised my husband with it and he yelled " it's a Thanksgiving Day miracle!!" we still chuckle about it. I'm so happy for you!

Hi to all the new people. I's so sorry that you're here but I'm glad you found this place. This site and these people have given me so much support...And a it's a great place to vent! You're gonna need that!! Don't forget, it gets better. It's going to be a slow process, but I promise it gets better.

A little update: I've conquered two weeks of light duty work (only two days per week, six hours per day). This next week I go to three days a week. So far, so good. It's nice to be back and see everyone but at the same time it reminds me how hard it will be to get back to my normal job. And that little voice in the back of my head tells me that it just might be impossible. Of course I'm going to do everything i can to get back. It's just hard to not be discouraged.
    As fast as my foot flared up on me, it's settled back down and isn't giving me too much grief. I walked 4-5 miles yesterday and feel good today. I shouldn't say walk, I should say limp. I'm still working on this terrible limp. Like everythine else it will take time, I suppose.
    I'm starting to think that some of the discomfort I feel is the hardware. I kinda hope it is, since it can be removed. Anyone else have hardware pain?

Talk to you all soon.....amy.

soccergirl:
    believe it or not things have gotten a bit better since that dark post back in January. My steri strips finally came off with some Emu oil. My OS told me not to wait too long as the adhesive would stick to the skin and sure enough it did. I spent the next few weeks getting the sticky off my leg. My foot and ankle have also gotten better with time. The skin on my foot would peel off in chunks like I was a burn victim. Pins, needles, burning. My foot is better with the sensation and peeling. It still gets purpleish when I have it down too long but the swelling is minimal. Now I sit and watch TV and roll my foot over a tennis ball to get it toughend up. I still don't have full ROM in my ankle and my calf is tight and contracted which isn't helping me. My PT gets on me about that. My toes also don't have the flexibility my other foot has and if I squeeze them, they hurt. But I see progress, just not as fast as I'd hope.

I try to update my progress every now and then just to give back to those who have just joined this thread. My fracture was the worst of the worst, a type VI. Both condyles broken off, 7mm depression and spiral fractures to the tibial shaft. I jacked my leg up. I'm on day 91 since the accident and day 74 since being plated and screwed (2 plates, 12 screws). I'm non weight bearing still but I have my 3 month appointment this week and my OS said he would clear me for partial weight bear. At the moment I am pretty discouraged in PT. I'm a bit stuck at 70 flexion and 5 extension. I was locked in an ex-fix, then a cast for nearly 6 weeks. I am afraid that a manual manipulation is in my near future. I hate this injury. I hate my crutches. Ugh.

Ankle Pain

Hi everybody,

I started walking from a TPF just 1 week ago but from four days ago I had a very bad ankle pain that is getting even worth, My ankle was ok before the surgery because I walked two weeks after accident to surgery and there was no pain. Whats the problem? did you also experience something like this? I heard that is because of long period (6 weeks) of non weight baring. is it true? when it will go away?

I think the foot/ankle pain is normal after a long time of not bearing weight. Mine was so bad that it took me 6-8 weeks to bear full weight once I was finally allowed to. I was non weight bearing for 3 months. I got a foot XRay and it showed "disuse osteoporosis". The OS said the only fix is to bear weight. Along with the bones being affected, I'm sure my achilles shrank up while I was non weight bearing. I had alot of pain back there too.
    I started walking in November and my ankle still bothers me at times but not too often. I have some calf/Achilles stretches that I do several times a day. And toe curls, I put a towel on the floor and try to use my toes to pull it toward me. Does that make sense?
    amy

Talking

I think the foot/ankle pain is normal after a long time of not bearing weight. Mine was so bad that it took me 6-8 weeks to bear full weight once I was finally allowed to. I was non weight bearing for 3 months. I got a foot XRay and it showed "disuse osteoporosis". The OS said the only fix is to bear weight. Along with the bones being affected, I'm sure my achilles shrank up while I was non weight bearing. I had alot of pain back there too.
    I started walking in November and my ankle still bothers me at times but not too often. I have some calf/Achilles stretches that I do several times a day. And toe curls, I put a towel on the floor and try to use my toes to pull it toward me. Does that make sense?
    amy

Hi Amy
    My 3 month follow up is tomorrow. Im nervous about the PWB that I hope will be cleared tomorrow. Any advice for my first few steps and what to look for? Good and bad? Any advice?

Hi Ryan. I wish you luck for tomorrow. Just don't get discouraged if it takes a while for your "first steps". I looked forward to the doc saying I could weight bear and I thought that I would just walk out of his office! I wasn't prepared for how hard it would be. I didn't take real steps, without a crutch or cane for about two more months. It was hard at first just to place my foot flat on the ground. But at the same time it was so exciting!
    Here's my timeline:
    Fracture: June 20
    Allowed to start to bear weight and increase as able: Sept 19
    Transitioned from two crutches to one crutch then finally a cane: Nov 8 (my BDay gift was to cane-walk
    First unassisted steps: Nov 24
    Ditched the cane for good: Jan 5th

Listen to your body (hard to do sometimes) and only push it so far. You're bound to have set backs here and there. Don't let that stop you. During the time I was using the cane and was close to not needing it, I pushed myself to hard in the pool (I did pool PT for a couple months). I ended up going back to two crutches for a week or so. I hurt so much, I wasn't even putting the foot on the ground again. It was devastating. But it got better and hasn't given me to much grief since. About week or so ago it flared up but it was nothing like before.
    Good luck tomorrow and I look forward to hearing how it goes!
    amy

Thank you, I look forward to walk painless

amy