Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

HTC "Incredible" smartphone - anyone have?

It's new phone time again, and I'm going back to Verizon, dropping AT&T.

The Google Nexus phone is now not coming to Verizon, but there's the latest-greatest (supposedly superior to the Motorola Droid) one from HTC called "Incredible." Also an Android OS. It's available now.

Anyone have it? Like it/ hate it?

My current phone is a 2 year old HTC Tilt, which is a Windows Mobile 6 phone. Except for short battery life, it's been OK overall, but all the new smartphones are a lot faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

It's badass. Love it.

Compared to the nexus one, the case is klunkier (but actually easier to hold). And the nexus one has fantastic desk and car docks. You have to plug the Incredible in to charge it.

On the pro side, the Sense overlay is better than the stock Android UI. And it has HDMI out.

If you will be on VZ, the Incredible is it.

HDMI out thats crazy. I should have waited 5 more weeks now I'm stuck with a HTC Imagio oh well only 2 years. I did just order the Incredible for our Publics works director hope he likes it.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Wait! Sorry, I gave bad info (I've only had the phone for 5 days). It has component out, not full HDMI. Sorry for the misinformation.

The reviews on this phone look good. It looks like I just missed a $99 sale promotion on it -- prices seem to be around $149 everywhere now. Gotta keep watching it over the next month...
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm in the same boat... due for an upgrade on the VZ account and deciding between the Droid and the Incredible.

Droid has dramatically better battery life, which is kind of a big deal to me.

Incredible is way faster. From what I gather, Sense is sick for social media stuff, although I'm not a Twitter addict yet.

Droid can be overclocked fairly easily, but it voids the warranty. You can reclock it though if you have any issues. Easy to tether too.

Way better camera on the HTC.

Droid = $20 from wirefly with a contract.
    Incredible = $150, as you said, El C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Have it and love it. This is my first smart phone so I don't have a basis for comparison, but it seems really fast, I like the navigation, camera is 8 MP, and I just like being able to customize everything. Now that I understand some of the power saving tricks the battery isn't as much of an issue, but I could envision getting a higher capacity battery at some point. Me gusta.

Edit to add that the screen is a thing of beauty.

I played around with the Incredible at a Verizon booth yesterday. I like it. Seems very fast.

The Droid screen looks pretty similar, and the Droid case feels sturdier (metal?), but I haven't had such great luck with Motorola phones. I'll go with the HTC again (current smartphone is an older HTC, and it's been fine in terms of build quality).

The droid is the only motorola since the startac that deserves a look.

good battery life, totally rugged, great for tethering, never notice it being too slow but the incredible is just so damn fast. I can't say you'd regret either purchase, there is the EV0 on the horizon that's a portable hotspot and 4G ready, so that will be the shiniest toy of all when it drops.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I've had my Incredible since they were released. Nothing but good to say about it. Fast, intuitive and well made. Get an app killer and turn off what you're not currently using. Press the lock button which simply dims the screen when you're done using it. I'm getting almost two full days out of each charge. I own a cabin in the north woods of Minnesota and I get excellent reception up there.

Shortly after you get it, you'll get an automated Android system update which improves the signal bar issue (which is an indicator issue and not an actual signal strength issue).

I've had several Verizon smartphones in the past and returned them all (including Blackberry's) because they all sucked for enough reasons. This one is a winner.

i'm on sprint, and looking forward to the evo,

my bberry curve has been rock solid, but looks to be nothing compared to the evo

bought for wife for mothers day. Its on backorder. Should be here by months end. Shes switching from Blackberry.

Should be interesting.

I Dont have that exact phone, but i have the HTC Hero, which runs Android with HTC Sense, wich is the same as the incredible. I love it. Definately the best phone i've ever had.

Anyone enlighten a guy on whether or not is possible to connect my laptop to the innerwebz VIA the droid (think its called tether?)

What I am looking to do is: get rid of my quest DSL, get the droid (paying the $30/month data fee) AND then use the phone as a wireless modem = FREE INTERNET?

I think it is called PDAnet - the app that will do what you speak of. Not sure if this practice is officially "supported" by VZW. They would rather have you pay $59.99/mo for their official mobile broadband service... don't stream netflix and you'll probably be ok!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    I think it is called PDAnet - the app that will do what you speak of. Not sure if this practice is officially "supported" by VZW. They would rather have you pay $59.99/mo for their official mobile broadband service... don't stream netflix and you'll probably be ok!
    Or you can root it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacking/

Shouldn't be too hard, you just have to be careful. And, yeah, don't stream Netflix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I have one and like it a lot. Only complaint is the battery, but I use mine pretty heavily. I'll be upgrading it before too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

IMO the Droid was launched far before it was fully tested. I'm on my third phone, my dad is on his 5th and I personally can't wait to get rid of it. Tons of cool options with the phone....if it worked all the time. Super glitchey! It will randomly deleted all messages, send messages at random times. Sometimes it will decide to take you to a different application then you chose and totally disable itself, force closes itself all the time.

Stay away from Droid, until they decide to update/upgrade the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe_rider View Post
    IMO the Droid was launched far before it was fully tested. I'm on my third phone, my dad is on his 5th and I personally can't wait to get rid of it. Tons of cool options with the phone....if it worked all the time. Super glitchey! It will randomly deleted all messages, send messages at random times. Sometimes it will decide to take you to a different application then you chose and totally disable itself, force closes itself all the time.

Stay away from Droid, until they decide to update/upgrade the phone.
    The original on T-Mobile?

The software is soooo much better than that now it's crazy. My Motorola Droid droid on the latest software is pimpin. I did lose all my texts once in 8 months, which is still better than any piece of crap phone that limits you to say 500, which is like two days of texting for a teen or maybe a month for me.

Anyway, now all my SMS's back up to my gmail, and the phone still kicks ass.

Yes you can tether it, but you have to pay a bit to get https.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I'm still looking for a deal on the Incredible; clock is ticking.... best I can find now is $150 w/ 2 year contract. The Droid is free now though.

Anything and all Droid phones look here:

http://androidforums.com/android-phones/

I've got the Eris and I'm pretty happy with it especially after the recent update.
    There's some talk that this might be the last update on it, so keep that in mind.
    It was the cheapest of the bunch at the time and I like the smaller size compared to the Motorola. Always have kept phones in my pants pocket.
    Haven't seen the Incredible yet, always get the second-tiered phone anyway, too cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    Anyone enlighten a guy on whether or not is possible to connect my laptop to the innerwebz VIA the droid (think its called tether?)

What I am looking to do is: get rid of my quest DSL, get the droid (paying the $30/month data fee) AND then use the phone as a wireless modem = FREE INTERNET?
    There's been some controversy about this, providers may clamp down on use and warn abusers or start charging for tethering. I'm on Verizon and so far(what I've heard) they haven't done this yet but there is a 5mb limit.
    I'll tether only when there is an unreliable connection/pay for internet at hotel situation. The connection is about 2.4 mbps, not great.
    I have both easytether and Pdanet(install Pdanet first, then easytether if you want to try both, 'cause of conflicts) on my Eris and they are easy to setup for tethering. You need to add drivers/programs to the computer you use as well.
    If you have a Linux computer, you need to use Proxoid and it is a little time consuming for a Windows-based user to set up. For Linux users, no sweat. This program sets up a proxy connection with your phone/computer.
    In order to access https sites, you need to get the paid versions of easytether and Pdanet. I figure if I need to access those sites, I'll just do that by phone and just use the free versions for now...
    Last edited by mmmthmtskier; 05-30-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Anybody used the HTC Incredible and the Iphone? My contact is expiring soon and I was wondering if I should upgrade to the Incredible or go to AT&T and the Iphone. I know the Iphone on Verizon is the biggest rumor as far as phones go so I am not counting on the Iphone on Verizon.

RE Tethering of a smart phone on Verizon- they of course require the data plans. Cheapest is email only, then they have the 2 data plans with the most expensive being their "unlimited"- which is not unlimited at all. They still want to also charge you an added $10 for the tethering (unless you also have a separate data plan for a USB or PC Card data plan.)

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...nd/?page=plans

As for the Iphone for Verizon- there has been no official announcement of when the AT&T exclusive is up (some still state 5 years as part of the oiginal contract signed) and other carriers will be offered models. But the time is coming soon from what I have read. Walmart just reduced the price of the IPhone (just weeks before Apple's developers conference in June) where there will be some new IPhones offered. Most web sites report that the Verizon version will be more likely end of 2010- November or December.

How about doc & xls file editing on the Incredible?
    Seems like two competing options are available:
    http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/android/
    http://www.quickoffice.com/quickoffi...suite_android/

Also, how about integration with Go Daddy email?
    I also need it to work with Groupwise WebAccess, but I know that the Droid works fine for that, so Incredible should too.

I think that's pretty much it for my smart phone needs -- I've never had one, but easier access to email (as well as light edits to file attachments) would be very helpful. (Plus BYates1 will stop bugging me about my "caveman" ways and with a real data plan I won't keep incurring all these charges for his silly text messages.)