Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Just got mine. Upgraded from a 8330. Holy. Shit.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

So the Incredible is already about to be upstaged by the X:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/15/e...oid-x-preview/

Copied at the very bottom of this post are the two data plan choices that appear to me on the Verizon website. The latter costs $12/month more than the former.

Question #1:
    I can access one of my biz email accounts here:
    https://www.indecon.com/gw/webacc
    ... using the basic interface:
    http://www.novell.com/documentation/...cbasic_qs.html
    And my other biz email account has this interface:
    https://mm.mobilemail.secureserver.net/login.php
    So does the more expensive plan offer any benefits for me with email?

Question #2:
    At first I thought the anti-tethering language meant that only the more expensive plan offered tethering, but now I realize (correctly?) that it's a caveat against upgrading to the more expensive plan in an attempt to tether.
    Any disadvantages to buying the nearly free one-time cost option:
    http://www.junefabrics.com/android/buy.php
    . . . for occasional tethering?
    BTW, although Verizon offers its own tethering plans:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...nd/?page=plans
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...oducts_connect
    . . . they don't show up when I add an Incredible to my plan?

Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email)
    Get unlimited access to the Internet and your personal email accounts.
    - Check and send personal emails when you’re out and about.
    - Access up to 10 POP3 and IMAP email accounts.
    - Enjoy unlimited Internet access.
    The Email and Web for BlackBerry and Email and Web for Smartphone Features are designed for personal, consumer use and are not compatible with some Internet email service offerings or with email applications utilizing BlackBerry Enterprise Server, BlackBerry Desktop Software, Wireless Sync or Wireless Sync Enterprise Server or Good™ Mobile Messaging. These features cannot be used to tether your device to laptops, personal computers or other devices for any purpose other than syncing of data; any other use is not permitted using these features.
    Unlimited Corporate Email & Web for Smartphones (business & personal email)
    Get unlimited access to the Internet and your corporate and personal email accounts.
    - Get access to corporate email using Wireless Sync, Exchange Active Sync, IBM Lotus Notes Traveler or Good Mobile Messaging.

Found some discussions here on the topic:
    http://forums.verizon.com/t5/BlackBe...s-45/m-p/20694

See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Copied at the very bottom of this post are the two data plan choices that appear to me on the Verizon website. The latter costs $12/month more than the former.

Question #1:
    I can access one of my biz email accounts here:
    https://www.indecon.com/gw/webacc
    ... using the basic interface:
    http://www.novell.com/documentation/...cbasic_qs.html
    And my other biz email account has this interface:
    https://mm.mobilemail.secureserver.net/login.php
    So does the more expensive plan offer any benefits for me with email?

You won't want to access your email through a web interface, you'll want your messages 'pushed' to your device. You may require the more expensive plan if you're using an on premise email exchange server. That's a question for your company IT people.

Question #2:
    At first I thought the anti-tethering language meant that only the more expensive plan offered tethering, but now I realize (correctly?) that it's a caveat against upgrading to the more expensive plan in an attempt to tether.
    Any disadvantages to buying the nearly free one-time cost option:
    http://www.junefabrics.com/android/buy.php
    . . . for occasional tethering?
    BTW, although Verizon offers its own tethering plans:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...nd/?page=plans
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...oducts_connect
    . . . they don't show up when I add an Incredible to my plan?

Do not purchase tethering from Verizon. Pay the one time fee for pdanet. Works great.

Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email)
    Get unlimited access to the Internet and your personal email accounts.
    - Access up to 10 POP3 and IMAP email accounts.
    The Email and Web for BlackBerry and Email and Web for Smartphone Features are designed for personal, consumer use and are not compatible with some Internet email service offerings or with email applications utilizing BlackBerry Enterprise Server, BlackBerry Desktop Software, Wireless Sync or Wireless Sync Enterprise Server or Good™ Mobile Messaging. These features cannot be used to tether your device to laptops, personal computers or other devices for any purpose other than syncing of data; any other use is not permitted using these features.
    Unlimited Corporate Email & Web for Smartphones (business & personal email)
    Get unlimited access to the Internet and your corporate and personal email accounts.
    - Get access to corporate email using Wireless Sync, Exchange Active Sync, IBM Lotus Notes Traveler or Good Mobile Messaging.

Quote Originally Posted by djc View Post
    You won't want to access your email through a web interface, you'll want your messages 'pushed' to your device. You may require the more expensive plan if you're using an on premise email exchange server. That's a question for your company IT people.
    Okay, thanks.

Here's the answer (I think):
    "No advantages right now [from the more expensive "corporate" plan]. Novell has a product in public beta that will work with Exchange sync clients. That product will allow you to seamlessly sync not only your e-mail but calendar and contacts. However, if you need to sync only your email than the cheaper plan is and will remain sufficient."
    (And my interest is in syncing only my email, not the calendar and contacts, which I don't use from there.)

And seems like this will work just fine with the less-expensive plan:
    http://help.godaddy.com/article/4906?isc=appemail40

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    you don't need the vz navigator with any new droid.

are you on 4G reliably upstate? If so, how fast is your 4G on speedtest?

I still like having a keyboard, but............ curious

no 4g up here, i have turned a bunch of stuff off, and doing app kills all the time is a good habit. battery life is fine, but i don't use it all the time. pics are amazing. the thing is so fast it's retarded. key board chanqe was tough the first couple of days, getting good at it now a week in

also, speech to text is pretty rad.

overall, well worth it. it's faster than my laptop without 4g.

I am thinking of getting one of these in the next couple days.
    my question is,
    How do you people feel about getting a phone at Walmart/getting your verizon plan set up there? The phone is 50 dollars cheaper than verizon. maybe they will price match?
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

There are actually two new 1 ghz droids coming out soon, I can't believe how into a motorola phone i am. I'd consider upgrading just to have the latest toy but I don't have the cash for it.

My ONLY issue with the droid is lack of solid A B button on the right side for me to play every hacked and downloaded nintendo rom. But, without a physical keyboard at all I have no idea how'd you be able to play punch out on the train and enjoy it.

Damn you both, touch screens and Mike Tyson!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I am thinking of getting one of these in the next couple days.
    my question is,
    How do you people feel about getting a phone at Walmart/getting your verizon plan set up there? The phone is 50 dollars cheaper than verizon. maybe they will price match?
    I got mine from wirefly, and they don't really give a crap where you bought it from.

i would check out amazon's wireless store. they have some pretty sweet deals.

also if going with verizon it might be wise to wait for teh new droid phones to come out , think they are due in the next couple of months.

agree with thinking you would not want all the power until you use it. i just got a nexus one and its awesome.

as far as tethering goes, you can use PDAnet or hope your phone gets froyo which has tethering and hot spots built into the OS. Though Verizon would probably kill that feature

FYI- HTS version has big issues with bluetooth! Do a search on HTS site. Mine won't pair with by BMW, I have seen other posts with Fords, land rover, mercedes and even a Prius.

I first paired it with a 07' X3, it was working fine for a couple of weeks, dropped the connection, now won't pair. it see's the car but can't connect. HTS needs to issue patch. If I can't get this going, I am returning it. I found one suggested work around I will try 2nite.
    Be more like your dog...

Trigger finally pulled. $80 Bing cashback per phone (via Wirefly) over the weekend -- got the Incredible for me, and a Samsung "Intensity" (slide-out keyboard texting phone, but doesn't require any data plan) for mini-Chup. Mrs. C. is upgrading her old phone to an Intensity too; couldn't run it through Wirefly for various reasons though.

We're cancelling the house land line once all the phones arrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Does anyone know if you can sync the Incredible with Outlook, email and calendar?

Mine should be arriving sometime before next weekend. pretty pumped, been checking out android forums and their Incredible section, already got a bunch of apps picked out. this and my dukes are hopefully showing up this week, like christmas in july!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

the nytimes app kills it.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Does anyone know if you can sync the Incredible with Outlook, email and calendar?
    Yes, but do you just use Outlook locally with a .pst file for the data, or connected to a Server that is running Exchange and has the messages and data stored on it? Also push messages vs periodically checking or using a pull strategy (not as good as it uses more bandwidth and battery than the push solution). For Outlook by itself, some are using 3rd party apps (companionlink and a few others), others just link their Google mail and calendar to their Outlook and get it that way.

If it is to an Exchange Server- some are reporting everything working directly, but I ended up with a 3rd party email client on the Droid- Touchdown to do the full syncing and push email

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    If it is to an Exchange Server- some are reporting everything working directly
    Mine syncs perfectly with Outlook via an Exchange server: email, contacts, calendar.

I really like the Incredible phone.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Mine syncs perfectly with Outlook via an Exchange server: email, contacts, calendar.

This was not the Incredible that I ended up doing the Touchdown app for full capabilities for the stuff. It was an earlier version of the Droid software that was not Google's latest that comes on the Incredible, etc.

HTC Sense is the UI on the incredible, and it supports full outlook sync with HTC's own mail, calendar and contact apps. The Moto Droid runs the stock build of android from Google and only includes mail and rudimentary support of contact syncing in the version of the OS that is on the droid (2.1) supposedly the next version (2.2) will offer full exchange activesync support with calendar, email, GAL, contacts and the ability to respond to meeting requests via email.

My favorite free apps (so far).

Air Control - Fun Game.
    Aldiko - Awesome Book Reader, tons of free books which are downloadable at an instant.
    Astrid Tasks - The best task manager that I've found.
    Gmote - Turns your phone into a touchpad and keyboard remote for your computer (I use it for my media center)
    Handcent SMS - Text Messaging program, way better than the stock one. Fully customizable.
    My Tracks - Good for tracking mt bike rides and hikes. Easily uploads to google maps and google docs.
    Replica Island - One of the most fun games I've tried yet. Cool graphics and uses the accelerometer for gameplay.
    Shazam - Identifies music
    TaskPanel - Task manager.

I've got a ton more, but these are the ones I've actually spent a good deal of time using and really enjoy on a daily basis.

HTC EVO.
    "Life's not a bitch. Life's a beautiful woman. You only call her a bitch 'cause she won't let you get that pussy." - Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

Chup,

You should've held out for the Droid X. 1 Ghz processor, half a GB of RAM, HDMI, 4.3" screen, 720P video, 8MB camera.

I've been with T-Mobile for 5 or so years and recently bought an HTC HD2 (basically the same as the Droid X but runs WM and doesnt have HDMI nor the 8MB camera) off craigslist so I didn't have to extend my contract. I'm running the tzones unlimited internet plan, introduced for ringtones, wallpapers, etc. for $5.99 a month and am getting full data. When I'm in airports, I use it to tether 3G. I was pulling down 5.95 Mbps a month ago in Columbus, OH. On top of all of that, I can run Android Froyo 2.2 from my MicroSD card.

Notice for Android users. Download TIKL from the marketplace. You can use your phone as push to talk to connect with any other android phone on any network, as long as they have the app installed and have it running. You can essentially talk to multiple people without using your minutes.

For anyone who is stuck in Windows Mobile land, you can use xda-developers to download different roms for your devices. They are easy to flash and run much better than the stock Windows Mobile load that comes from the manufacturer.

Now that I sound like a pedophile, live in my parent's basement geek, I'll move on.

Sounds like the Incredible has been on short supply ever since it came out. I read somewhere that Fry's had a deal for new VZW customers. If anyone is thinking about it, you should look into it.

I'm really liking my Incredible. Had it for about 2 months now. It has a few drawbacks, which almost all new devices these days do. Personally, I get annoyed with the Force Closes, but they are few and far between.

Works well as a phone, which is something I couldn't say for the iPhone. Once Apple breaks free from AT&T and starts getting some of their reception issues in check, I would highly contemplate purchasing one. Won't be for another year or two. Happy for now.

I recently purchased the Incredible and wow this is phone is amazing. I have noticed this phone is a lot faster than my iTouch. I don't really care for the music player, but you can use another app that allows you to sync with iTunes and create playlists in iTunes. If you want you can Root your phone and get WiFi Tether and a couple other cool apps. This is my first smartphone so maybe the coolness will wear off but I am currently digging it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    Chup,

You should've held out for the Droid X. 1 Ghz processor, half a GB of RAM, HDMI, 4.3" screen, 720P video, 8MB camera.
    There's always something newer/faster/bigger/shinier coming along... I got the Incredible for $150 (less $80 Bing cashback = $70); thought that was pretty good. I'm happy with it.