red rings on dogs stomach

I just noticed red rings a touch smaller than a penny with small red dots in the middle on both of my border collies.

I'm 99% positive they showed up this after noon. They spent the day in a field of cut grass while I was at a triathlon. No woods or tall grass. We're downstate where its warm, but typically in cold snowy lake placid.

They don't seem to notice them and are acting normal. Ringworm and lyme seem to be the most obvious. I don't think its ringworm b/c of the dot that looks like a bite mark. One dog is covered (20+) and has no ticks so I don't think its lyme. The other only has maybe 8 spots.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a brown recluse bite, but the number of them would prolly suggest it was something else like maybe fire ants?

was the grass about belly high? are they licking it a lot? could just be dry skin.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

If you live in a tick area, that would be a possibility. I haven't lived in a chigger area for 25 years, but as I recall that is how their bites look. Also, that is a common appearance for superficial folliculitis...basically skin infection from ruptured pimple like lesions. Got a picture?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Maybe they are allergic to cut grass. Seriously. Hollywood's dog gets itchy as fuck after it roots around in some freshly cut grass.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Any chance these are the dogs nipples?
    another Handsome Boy graduate

chiggers

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2deep View Post
    chiggers
    Is that slang for a black person from Hong Kong?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

sounds alot like ringworm. My dog has getten those rings several time. Never really determined it was ringworm for sure, but some topical ointment from petsmart or wherever should clear it up in a few days. Still there after a week maybe vet time.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post

chigger please.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    You mean a "Chiggel"?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    You mean a "Chiggel"?
    chiggel prease.

What flea meds are you using? If you're using Revolution it kills/repels ticks. Also my wife had a tick bite and the tell tale target was about 10" in diameter. Unlikely to have that many tick bites without finding one of the critters on site. It sounds like ringworm and if so it is quite contageous. Definitely time to go to the vet. BTW ringworm glows under UV light if you have one handy.

cat hickies?

-not sure how your dog rolls

This was yesterday. This one doesn't have as much of a dot in the middle as some of the others.
    They look less red today, like the color is fading away. If I didn't know to look for them, I probably wouldn't have noticed at this point. They haven't gotten any bigger. Still no itching or difference in behavior.

They are currently not on any tick meds because the vet claims "there are no ticks in LP"and I'm not okay getting the lower quality generic over the counter tick repellent.
    Last edited by XtrPickels; 05-03-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    chiggel prease.
    awful, yet fucking funny.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    They are currently not on any tick meds because the vet claims "there are no ticks in LP"and I'm not okay getting the lower quality generic over the counter tick repellent.
    I would find that hard to believe. I'm in the Chicago area and I've been finding ticks for a month. I still use Frontline, my dog's don't seem to react adversely.

My dog also gets those red rings when he lays in the yard for long periods. They don't seem to bother him much. They might just be gnat bites?

They're about 95% gone today, so I'm thinking it was something benign like a gnat or other insect bite. Just a little alarming at first because one was covered in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I would find that hard to believe. I'm in the Chicago area and I've been finding ticks for a month. I still use Frontline, my dog's don't seem to react adversely.

My dog also gets those red rings when he lays in the yard for long periods. They don't seem to bother him much. They might just be gnat bites?
    For what its worth:
    We're on trails running or hiking almost daily and I've never found a tick on him.
    I did find 1 tick after 1 day in an area @ lower elevation and about 2 hours away. Luckily this was just after I rescued Jake and he had been treated by the rescue farm.

In this situation, we were away from home so ticks were a possibility.

Your lucky, there thick as hell here. I find them all the time, especially in the spring and then again in the fall. Not so much mid summer.

This was yesterday. This one doesn't have as much of a dot in the middle as some of the others.
    They look less red today, like the color is fading away. If I didn't know to look for them, I probably wouldn't have noticed at this point. They haven't gotten any bigger. Still no itching or difference in behavior.

looks like a tick bite to me. I live due east of you and we have plenty of ticks. not deer ticks - but ticks none the less

I suspect it is a bite of some type. Tick, chigger, ant, mossie, no-seeum, black fly? what ever you have in your area. I doubt it is ringworm based on the sudden appearance, et cetera. If it keeps happening on trips consider Advantix, frontline, revolution, or similar since they treat/repel more then just fleas and ticks.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

black fly bite. If you layed down for five minutes you'd have em too.

what vet do you go to? There are ticks up here. not as many as downstate where you cant go out and not get a tick on you, but they are here in summertime.
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares