Goethe and Darwin 4.23.10-4.25.10

On Friday we set out over Piute Pass. It had snowed a little bit two days earlier, and the April sun was already hard at work. Though it wasn't much fresh snow, the intense heat had turned the surface into sticky glop.

Just one more day, and this stuff would probably transition to corn. But we had places to go, and had to be back to work on Monday. So up we went.

We tried not to get distracted by the chutes above the pass:

Getting up to the pass was a bit challenging. The heavy snow slowed us down considerably. On spring corn, this probably would have taken 3 hours. On Friday, we pushed pretty hard to make it in less than 8 hours. Thankfully, the travel got easier as we got higher in elevation, and we made it to Goethe Lake before dark.

From camp we had a great view of the north side of Goethe, and Alpine Col which we would be getting to the next day.

Sunset on the west side of Humphreys:

Dusk:

In the morning we got up and headed towards Goethe, climbing the bowl in the center of the north face.
    Goethe has two summits. The left side being the true summit, and the right side holding the prime ski terrain. Since there isn't much elevation left to gain once you hit the ridge, we opted to get both.

We skinned up to the summit and took in the view.
    Looking out towards Darwin, and the rest of the ground we still had to cover that day:

Then back down to the saddle and up the other side to the entrance of the chute.

The top was a little hammered by the wind:

But that changed as we got lower:

We returned to camp, cooked up a little water and headed over Alpine Col.
    Looking back:

From the top of the Col looking out towards Darwin:

From there we dropped down into Darwin Canyon and continued back up to camp 2. The view was OK

Looking out towards the next days objective, Mt Darwin:

Dusk:

A quick approach to the base, a few switchbacks up the lower section and we were nearing the top:

From the summit ridge we got views of some excellent terrain, including one of the chutes on Picture Peak:

Then it was time to ride snowboards again.
    Exiting the upper chute:

After that, every single turn was just like this:

Tracks:

From there we climbed back up to camp, packed it up, and headed over Lamarck Col. The ride down from the col was pretty good as well, but the camera was packed away and we were ready to get home. After getting through the slush at the lower elevations we arrived back at North Lake with a view of our start and finish. Piute Pass on the right, Lamarck Col on the left:

dude that cornice is RIDICULOUS.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

awesomeness amigo!!!!! where did u guys park???? are south lake and north lake roads open???

Awesome. And, that is one monster of a cornice.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Darwin Canyon FTMFW!

Thanks for sharing, as always, BCD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

that was outstanding...gracias amigo
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

I've got to roadtrip out there again one of these years. Thanks for the sweet tr.

I love that area, but only did Darwin as a summer climb. That looks great as a winter/ spring ascent.

Great photos and TR

thanks for posting

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Looks awesome, glad the slog in sloppy snow paid off. Sure is nice when it works out that way. Great lines and pictures.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

nice!

^^^ the chute on lookers right (west of mendel 'bowl') always perked my interest for a fun descent. did you all climb the summit block on darwin?

Great trip beautiful pictures. Alpine Col looks like a whole lot more fun than it was in the summer.

Great photos of a great area.
    I'm not much into hauling tents around any more, but that's one of the few places I could be talked into it.

A longer skiing trip which goes thru there is Lake Sabrina (Echo Col?) to Muir Pass and exit over Lamarck Col. I would do it a third time with the right partners + weather. Lots of beautiful, skiable peaks. And frozen lakes.

First time I did it with Sharon, we didn't know what Lamarck Col looked like from the west side -- so we ended up climbing almost to the top of the Lamarck peak.

Ken

Booyah!
    Humphreys shot is sweet.

Beautiful pictures in a beautiful area!

Thank you for making my morning!
    The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir