Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    how fuckin boring. Everyone agrees with me? I thought Reveljunk was the second coming of Jackkson Hole. What? did everyone finally actually go ski the place and realize it sucked? Here's how I would rate em up. Excluding Whistler/Blackcomb as it is clearly the best but a beast of it's own and a total gong show.
    1. Kicking Horse
    2. Castle
    3. tie Fernie and Red
    5. Shames
    6. Whitewater
    7. Marmot
    8. Sunshine
    9. Lake Louise
    last place reveljoke
    lastest place Panorama
    ok lastest of the lastest: Sun peaks? wtf is that. it's called fuckin sun peaks not powder peaks. The fishing is cool in Kamloops but the skiing at sun peaks? isn't there a sweet mall there too?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbydave View Post
    Everyone should move to Sun Peaks, especially jafas
    JAFA now = just another fuckwhit from Alberta?

I fell sorry for all you whistlerites that have to ski with 120mm wide "snowboards" under your feet or maybe you are snowboarders.

Sun Peaks can be fun but it never snows (those runs on the lower part of burf you rave about usually have good coverage and good snow a few weeks a year tops) and the terrain is boring as fuck especially compared to whistler. Ive spent the last couple winters in kamloops for school and am pumped for the few days a year i get to spend at whistler or revy.

In order to really help the OP out we should tell him/her to forget snow volume or quality or terrain or crowds or night life but instead focus on accommodation. Finding a place to stay for Jan/Feb will be very problematic at any ski resort. Most places are available by the night or by the week or for the whole season, but not by the month.

Most of the small ski towns like Rossland, Nelson, Fernie, Revelstoke are well...small, with less choices then larger cities so my recommendation would be to try and find a motel in Vernon to rent by the week. There might even be one with a kitchenette. Silver Star is only about a 15 or 20 minute drive away and Big White, Apex, Sun Peaks, Revelstoke and Kicking Horse are all 2 to 4 hours away.

Buying a discounted season pass in early summer will save the OP $200 to $400 and just about any ski resort in western Canada (except Whistler) will give a pass holder from another mountain a 25% discount on lift tickets.

Rush 1975, I just realized that its Dec./Jan that you want to ski in Canada not Feb. Definitely stay in the B.C. interior in Dec, as you do not want to be at Whistler during the Xmas holidays when 20 thousand plus skiers from Vancouver might show up.
    If you are budgeting for 2 months of hotel living then you will need around $250 or $300 per day or more for food, lodging and lift tickets/season pass. That works out to a $15000 plus ski trip. For that kind of money you can get about 12 days to 14 days heli skiing or 3.5 to 4 weeks snow cat skiing. I'd pick the cat or heli package as the skiing, food and lodging will all be better than resort skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    I fell sorry for all you whistlerites that have to ski with 120mm wide "snowboards" under your feet or maybe you are snowboarders.

Congrats, now you just look stupid. I suppose Sun Peaks is fine for carving wiggly little turns on the groomers on your 75mm wide "shaped" skis. Let me guess, when you stand your skis on end they come up to your nose level because that's the "proper" size. By the way, the 80's called, they want their hate on snowboarders attitude back.

Dano, words can't describe how happy I am to finally see a like minded person on this board. It's a shame to see "skiers" strapping these monstrosities to their feet. It not only requires no skill, it makes you look completely ridiculous. I also agree that Sun Peaks is by far the best resort around. The impeccable grooming, incredible weather, unrivaled terrain, and apres ski which always results in a wonderful time! I hope one day we can ski with each other (on REAL skis), and enjoy some long island iced tea's afterward!!

Rush 1975, I just realized that its Dec./Jan that you want to ski in Canada not Feb. Definitely stay in the B.C. interior in Dec, as you do not want to be at Whistler during the Xmas holidays when 20 thousand plus skiers from Vancouver might show up.
    If you are budgeting for 2 months of hotel living then you will need around $250 or $300 per day or more for food, lodging and lift tickets/season pass. That works out to a $15000 plus ski trip. For that kind of money you can get about 12 days to 14 days heli skiing or 3.5 to 4 weeks snow cat skiing. I'd pick the cat or heli package as the skiing, food and lodging will all be better than resort skiing.
    W.T.F. If you can't come and ski in BC for two months for $3000 (w/ Pass) then you are mentally challenged.

Edit: Alright, you probably can't do it for that cheap at Whistler but you definitely can at plenty of other resorts/resort towns; including Revelstoke.

++vibes++

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    A few years ago I got on the Burfield chair on opening day and when I finally got to the top it was closing day. True story!
    no lie, i can hike faster than that thing

although i don't think it should go detachable
    holy fucking shitballs

Kamloops is BC's hidden secret. Don't listen to anybody about Whistler, Rossland, Revelstoke or any other one of those wanna be ski towns. Hangin in the Loops is where its at!

danot brought some much needed hilarity to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    Congrats, now you just look stupid. I suppose Sun Peaks is fine for carving wiggly little turns on the groomers on your 75mm wide "shaped" skis. Let me guess, when you stand your skis on end they come up to your nose level because that's the "proper" size. By the way, the 80's called, they want their hate on snowboarders attitude back.
    I love the way snowboarders side slip the runs early season and make a firm base on runs that don't get groomed and in the trees where the machines can't groom. So if I owned a ski resort snowboarders would ride for free... until Jan. 1st and then they would be banned!]

BTW when the 80s called I thanked her for the slow running Burfield chair that the skiing public does not want to ride, leaving myself and a few friends our own private resort with 2900 vertical of mostly black runs and and no line ups. Also thanks for developing Whistler in the 80s so Whistler types could have a place to stand in line and over pay for everything.
    Last edited by DanoT; 04-30-2010 at 09:44 AM.

...then they would be banded!
    I think the word you were looking for is banned.

Did they not teach English when you went to school back in the 1940s?

Quote Originally Posted by DownhillRider View Post
    Dano, words can't describe how happy I am to finally see a like minded person on this board. It's a shame to see "skiers" strapping these monstrosities to their feet. It not only requires no skill, it makes you look completely ridiculous. I also agree that Sun Peaks is by far the best resort around. The impeccable grooming, incredible weather, unrivaled terrain, and apres ski which always results in a wonderful time! I hope one day we can ski with each other (on REAL skis), and enjoy some long island iced tea's afterward!!
    People that want to rip powder on super wide skis at high speed without many turns, sort of like a snow boarder, can fill their boots. In powder I prefer to slow, down sink in and crank as many turns as I can. For me on a powder day its how many turns not how many runs. Where I like to rip it at high speed (I pick my spots) is on the hard pack with big wide GS type turns.

^^^ You're a dentist, aren't you?

Dammit - i got trolled!!!

Haha Sun Peaks, great satire, then LeeLau getting called out on terrain. Pro trolling.

I'd put a vote for Golden over Revelstoke, way better in bounds and good sidecountry, less rain (or at least rain is usually below the alpine).

What are real estate prices doing in Revy lately anyway?

^ From the very limited stuff I've heard it seems like nothing is actually moving, but still staying at the same over inflated prices.

One of my best days ever was at Sun Peaks, true story. I was just a lucky bastard to be there that day.

For a whole season, Revelstoke, for a couple of months, Whistler

Pitching in because this is a topic i tried to research at one point on here and didn't get the right idea from reading the discussions. Went to Revelstoke anyways and it had these plussiz:

-Could hitchhike or walk around. Didn't need a car.
    -No lift lines or pressure. You'll know half the people on the hill and can always find rad people to ride with.
    -Roger's Pass and other touring options in the area. The ACC huts, including Fairy Meadows.
    -Eventually lived in a cheap house up on a hill with great roommates and a killer view.
    -It's isolated, so you're in an amazing bubble. The people are rad and stay for the season, not a lot of coming and going from the cities.
    -The Aquatic Center.
    -The lift served terrain was fun. Epic is a short skin and traverse away.
    -Our snow was better than the surrounding resorts. It was a bad year for sure, but usually RMR had better snow conditions than kicking horse, the rockies and Red. It's also overdue for a huge year.
    -The season pass was cheap.

Downsides:
    -It took some time and work to figure the place/terrain out and find a good place to live, finding a place was tough.
    -There are some cute girls there, but not many.
    -The food options and nightlife were not great.
    -Jobs are shitty unless you can do construction.

Anyways, I had an awesome time.

Quote Originally Posted by inqueens-->tobc View Post
    Downsides:
    -There are some cute girls there, but not many.
    -The food options and nightlife were not great.

whistler girls come and go, but the clap stays with you!
    holy fucking shitballs

Quote Originally Posted by Gilla View Post
    W.T.F. If you can't come and ski in BC for two months for $3000 (w/ Pass) then you are mentally challenged.

Edit: Alright, you probably can't do it for that cheap at Whistler but you definitely can at plenty of other resorts/resort towns; including Revelstoke.
    Gilla don't you know B.C. means "bring cash"? If you are going to ski Revy it is best to get a hotel reservation beforehand because there are tons of snowmobilers 7 days a week. And I'm not a dentist I'm a ski bum and likely have been since you were in diapers.

To all you super wide rippers: its not my fault or yours that I learned to ski powder on 208cm skinny skis and you learned on easy turning short fat skis, but don't take it personal, if I had to ski Whistler's rain soaked coastal slush or even the snow that you can make snow balls out of then I'd be on the full fats too.