Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Truck tire recommendations?

Need new tires for my truck - it's a 1986 F-250 4x4. Size is 215/85R16, currently I have some high load-range tires on it (range D) but I don't need anything that fancy - I rarely carry a load much heavier than my motorcycle.

I'm looking for something that would be decent for highway use as well as off-roading...lots of that to be had here. I don't think I need high-end muddin tires or anything fancy, my truck is at stock height and I don't need to make a huge racket just driving down the road. Also I'd like to keep the total cost around 400 bucks, which is pretty tough to do in Hawaii considering if it's not already here I gotta FedEx it in.

Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?

The local Goodyear shop was offering me a mismatched set for 80 bucks a tire for one pair, 95 each for the other pair, but I'd rather have a matching set I think.

$400 bucks per tire??

I dunno, Toyo Open Country's have been the big winner on previous threads but if you are seriously trying to keep it under $400 for the set I have nothing.

I am trying to keep it around 400 for the set, but if that's unrealistic I can go north if I have to (reasonably). How is this for a price?

BFG All Terrains are my choice. But they aren't cheap.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I had BFG long trails on my last truck. a little less beefy of a tread vs the all terrain's, but I liked them
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I would go with a bigger size to start, along the lines of a 265/75/R16 as a minimum for an F-250, but it will mess with your speedometer. A quick google search of the tire size you wanted in a BF goodrich priced at $115-140 per tire, plus shipping.

BFG all terrain would be my choice. The just belong on pickups. Make any vehicle look burlier really. See
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

ftw, bfg a/t, KO series.

Hankook Dynapros. Toyo quality at a better price.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Fuzion XT1 - sleeper tire, cheap and i have found to be very good. You just have to get past the sidewall graphics. Not that noisy for an AT tire.

They work well in snow....

Love my Nitto Terra Grapplers. Got 25K on them so far (on an Xterra) and they still look nearly new. Great traction in the wet and off the road with minimal noise on the pavement. Gonna break the budget a bit though...

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Another vote for the BFG A/T ko.

Check out the consumer survey results for on/off road A/T's:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

BFG AT more on the off road side of things, I love mine. Nitto TG more on the road side.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

x2 on bigger tires. I like the 285 75R16 over stock.

I personally don't like the BFGs on anything bigger than a 1/2 ton truck. I had them on a 3/4 ton Chev and hated them, but I like them on my F-150. And I run only 10-ply tires if it matters.

I liked the Toyo Open Country and the M-55 on bigger trucks.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Jumper, I ran the Goodyear wrangler duratrac all winter (studded) and it's a helluva tire. Never got stuck once and it's not too loud either. My girlfriend and I put 5500 miles on them this winter and didn't have a complaint about the noise. They seemed to wear pretty good too. Fronts still look brand new and I went through about 40% of the rears. Never did rotate them and for almost all of those 5500 miles the truck had our travel trailer behind it and two sleds on the deck.

Mine were more than your $400 limit but I also got a set of 5 and I'm running a larger size. check 'em out, they might be reasonable in your size.

Now that I think of it, you are in Hawaii where 90% of the trucks are lifted. You should have 35's on it!

General Grabber AT2s are fairly cheap. I use Cooper ATRs on my 3/4 ton and think I got them for around $150 installed (265/70R17 E rating). Love the ATRs on everything except snow once they passed 30k miles. Not bad sound on highway for an AT tire.

D range is not a high load range for a 3/4 ton. I wouldn't drop to C load range given the depth of your sidewall and weight of your rig (even if you aren't towing heavy).

Wider tires ride better unless you're mudding or in snow (I know that isn't the case). Plus you're probably not running it on long hauls given your location, so nominal MPG loss likely isn't a big deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    BFG All Terrains are my choice. But they aren't cheap.

This is what I run.
    watch out for snakes

I'm digging the General Grabber AT2, they can be found cheap, have long tread life, and I get pretty damn good off-road grip.

Some of the sizes happen to be rated for snow, but that's not something that concerns you in hawaii.
    "Life's not a bitch. Life's a beautiful woman. You only call her a bitch 'cause she won't let you get that pussy." - Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Love my Nitto Terra Grapplers. Got 25K on them so far (on an Xterra) and they still look nearly new. Great traction in the wet and off the road with minimal noise on the pavement. Gonna break the budget a bit though...
    An Xterra? In Colorado? GTFO.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    NOTHING AT, at only means it sucks at everything equally. if you have the money, Toyo open country mt's are the BEST tires for trucks imo. they are quiet, have GREAT traction and tread cleaning ability and they also have a decent wear life.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

They haven't encountered much yet....but my Grabber AT2s(31") are great on a wet highway. No doubt will hit some muck tomorrow on woods roads...tread looks and feels like they should do pretty well. Will add a little off-road review(lol) tomorrow night. They lean slightly more towards highway than the Hankooks I think....

SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

Had those on my F-250. Worst tires I've ever owned. Worn out by 30k and sucked when they were new. Squirmy in the dry and shit traction everywhere else. I literally got stuck in a flat, semi icy parking lot with them, even with 4x engaged. Had to get towed by some guy in a little ranger. Fuck those tires.

Timely thread. I’m looking for tires for my ½ ton pickup. I’ve been “researching” tires on the internet, and just ended up confused.

The Bridgestone Revo 2 seems to be the “sexiest” tire on the internet. They’re not cheap, but decent priced.

I was leaning towards the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors originally, but read their quality isn’t the best and ice / snow traction were marginal.

The Hankook ATM RF10 seems like it might work. They’re relatively new, I haven’t found reviews for these on sites like Tirerack, 1010 or Consumer Reports.

I also looked at the expensive Michelin LTX AT2 and the cheap Firestone Destination AT.

At this point I might forget the “All Terrain” tires and buy the General Grabber HTS. Every website seems to agree these are the best “Highway-All Season” tire right now.