View Poll Results: How long before you could "play" like before after a broken femur ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-2 months

0 0%
  • 2-4 months

1 5.56%
  • 4-6 months

3 16.67%
  • 6-8 months

0 0%
  • 8-10 months

5 27.78%
  • more than 10 months

9 50.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

MY HIP EXERCISE PROGRAMME

Here is my hip exercise programme. I normally start off with a sun salutation followed by 15 mins easy bike riding as warm up before starting the programme. I´m doing 3 sets with 10-15 reps. I am no longer under supervision of a physical therapist, but will check in every month to assess my progress and make adjustments to the programm if necessary.

Two months after surgery

Went golfing 9 holes a couple of days ago and today. Doesn´t feel to bad, the pain is more in the muscles above the knee and on the top back of the left buttock. Do not feel any pain in the backswing or followthrough, so things are looking good I would say. I have no pain with full weight and only some pain when adding weight to my squats exercise.

How much of a squat are you doing? I'm at 50% weight bearing for the next fortnight then full. Still can't go on stationary bike or swimming. Neeeed to get fit again :\

The first 6 weeks after surgery I was 25% weight bearing and on crutches. After ditching the crutches I have more or less been on the programme I posted a few days ago. Squats are done on a balance board without weights. None of the exercises are done with weights yet, I´ll wait another 3-4 weeks on that.

The advice I tried my best to follow whilst on crutches, was to do the stretches as advised and keep the 25% weight bearing as much as possible. It was difficult, but I managed it.

This has been helpful to read thank you. Unfortunately my brake is so severe it is 4-6 months non weight bearing. I think this has a lot to do with the recurring surgeries that I need to have in that span, so there is no real time to let things heal until all the cutting is done. I have a complex right distal femur fracture dislocation, status post open reduction and internal and external fixation with bone defect( shattered my knee cap, dislocated the femur from the knee and broke it, and tore every muscle and tendon in there including a tear of my femural artery). This is an injury that will be with me the rest of my life and require constant maintenance through surgery. A tough toke to take for sure.

I never knew I could cry so much, praying and hoping for better days soon. But not letting myself get crazy about the inactivity, although it is by far the worst aspect of this. I am just focusing on small victories that will prepare me for being active once again. Its amazing how little tasks become insurmountable when you are like this and the associated psychological effects. Its really easy to lose your shite and give up, but just like health and activity were a prominent force in my life prior to this, they will be again and there is no way I am letting that go.

That sounds pretty harsh. With the right approach you should be able to make a good recovery especially with the improving technology these days; maybe not 100% but certainly full functioning. Attitude is key in recovering from a break like this - good luck!

P.S. How'd you break it?

2 1/2 months after surgery

Been golfing 18 holes without much difficulties and I am training strength exercises twice a week. Another few weeks and I´m allowed to jog. I guess I´m really really lucky that my recovery is as good as it is !

Do you have any pain while walking? I'm still experiencing quite a bit and general discomfort.

I'd say the pain is negligable, lucky me I guess

There's no way I could walk for 4 or 5 hours with no pain, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Superduper View Post
    I'd say the pain is negligable, lucky me I guess
    Well whaddayaknow - the day after I wrote this the pain kicked in again. But is was entirely my own fault. Having played two 18 hole rounds of golf, two rather hard workout sessions at the gym and biking to work one day, all in the space of a week, I guess it wasn't more than fair to get a kick in the a.. for doing to much.

So when playing a golfmatch tomorrow I have taken precautionary measures in the form of renting a golf buggy.....

Cheers !

Had to scrap the golf, too much pain unfortunately. When will I ever learn ? Just booked ski trip to Engelberg, Switzerland, early next year and will hopefully be completely restored till then. Time will show.

Well I at least feel better that I'm not abnormal feeling some pain I'm sticking with swimming and stationary bike for a few weeks. Even a 30 minute walk causes me pain.

Three and half months now since the fracture. Of course I'm still getting pain but all things considered, I can't complain. In the last week I've been for a couple of 30km bike rides without too much reaction. I can also walk for 2 hours without too much reaction now.

So, naturally, now I'm beginning to think about rod removal (see my other post - [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194601"]http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194601[/ame]).

Didn't you already ask that? I'd stick with what the docs say. I want mine out as soon as possible too but I don't think it will be before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by ahuramazda View Post
    ...So, naturally, now I'm beginning to think about rod removal (see my other post - http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=194601).
    I have talked to my friend who is an MD specializing with orthopaedics and he says he wants to take the plate and screw fix out this fall. This because if there would ever be need to operate in that area again, it will be far easier without the metal in the way.

3 MONTHS AFTER SURGERY

Went to see the physio yesterday. As I suspected I have got ITBS which is causing the pain around the knee. She gave me shockwave, triggerpoint and acupuncture treatment. Said I should give it a couple of days rest. Can still feel some pain in the area with the incision as well.

I'm cursing myself for not taking it slow enough with the training, if I had, this wouldn't have happened !

Anyways - for someone just operated in a plate and screw in the femur/hip only three months ago I guess I really shouldn't complain too much.

Swimming dude, swimming! I've given up walking really since it aggravated my leg, but the pool is great. Almost feel like a normal person

Now nearly 3 1/2 months out and the pain is on and off. Most pain is around the knee from the itbs I guess and having weak muscles in general. Can feel the hip from time to time and mostly in the area where I bruke off part og the hip. Om summer holiday now, starting my 2nd of 4 weeks and I'm gonna do nothing exercise wise, just gonna let the damn thing rest.

What about you guys ?
    Last edited by Superduper; 07-14-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Just over 4 months for me now. I still have pain in the front part of my leg which I talked about in another post, but I can manage it much more now. It's obvious the pain won't go away completely until the rod is out (Nov time). I can walk for long periods now and I've even started running on the leg over a short distance.

Mm, yes, a holiday would suit me fine but no such luck.

I'm at 6 months

Thanks for the read, it is nice to not feel alone on the recovery bench.

Broken my femur on the 23rd of january. I still have a cane and don't know when I'll be able to ski again.

Pics of the process:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/EoPhil/XRAYSBrokenFemur#
    Give me a beat to pump to fatty.

Hello all,
    i had a car accident in december 2009 with complex femur fracture. it's been 6 and half months since then and I still can't walk without one crutch. I have a hole of 5 cm in the bone.
    did you guys took any medication during recovey? i have to take Osseor and Calcium with Vit. D, swimming, sitting in the sun and I have a room bike at home but that doesn't seem to help that much. I have terrible pains because of the rod and that doesn't allow me to talk well and straight.

4months into a severe distal femur fracture with knee dislocation while tearing every ligament and tendon in there. There have opted not to touch the ligaments for at least another 2 months and maybe not at all since the damage was so vast. I have about 10 degrees of motion now and switch from in home PT to out patient now. So hoping to really work on this thing. But it is super weak, painful as hell, and not going to be able to walk for another 12 months they said without crutches. Sucks but can only work with what I have.

Yea, that looks bad. Be positive, regardless. This is bad, but could be far worse, and there are many others in far worse straits. Try to be as educated as you possibly can on the problems you're facing - reading superduper's posts really helped me to get focused. Don't waste time. PMA. When the negativity comes from the inevitable setbacks you'll face, just keep on. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    4months into a severe distal femur fracture with knee dislocation while tearing every ligament and tendon in there...

Shitty situation for sure, although there is significantly less metal in that pic than the last ones I saw. Keep biting the bullet...