Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Daily-driver rockered skis

I'm trying to narrow down what skis will fit me best, hopefully I can pick something up before the season is over.

Weight: 130-135-ish
    Height: 5'5" (I know I'm short, but I'm done growing so I gotta deal)
    What I'm on: 159 K2 Public enemies, I think the first year they were made. Too short and too skinny. Not poppy.

Where I ski: Mostly A-Basin, Vail, Breck. I don't huck anything huge, but I'm trying to get better.

What I'm looking for: A twin tip (or partial twin) with tip rocker and camber underfoot that's stiff enough to charge any conditions but not so stiff that it isn't playful. I'd like something about 100-115 underfoot.
    So far I've really wanted to get JJ's, S3's, or Surface OneLife's. 185 JJ's are super hard to find and I've heard that the 175's ski so damn short. I hand flexed some S3s and they seemed very playful and poppy but felt like they might be too soft for crud.I know ON3P has some models that fit what I'm looking for, but I don't see them for sale used anywhere and I don't have the money to blow on new ones.
    Any help guys?
    Thanks

EDIT: I'm also trying not to sped over $400
    Last edited by GnomeinGnarnia; 03-30-2010 at 04:53 PM.

I have some 185 jj's (first year with rocker) how much are you looking to spend?

dps wailer 112rp hybrid

currently available on pre-order. pm me for info if interested.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I'm really trying to stay under $400 for skis. How many times have those JJ's been mounted?
    I don't know too much about DPS, but like I said, money is a large factor.

2nd on the DPS 112, should be dope.

Lhasa pow - 186 or 191. Salomon Shogun, 4frnt CRJ or VCT Turbo are solid options to consider and with more deals to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeinGnarnia View Post
    I'm really trying to stay under $400 for skis. How many times have those JJ's been mounted?
    I don't know too much about DPS, but like I said, money is a large factor.
    sorry, no dice on being less than $400... they are new for next year, so obviously no used ones.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Lhasa pow - 186 or 191.
    You don't think they would be too long for someone my weight?

[QUOTE=GnomeinGnarnia;2814876]I'm really trying to stay under $400 for skis. How many times have those JJ's been mounted?
    QUOTE]

they have been mounted once on the line for marker jesters (315 bsl)

How much are you asking for the JJ's?
    And has anybody rode Surface OneLifes?

Buy some uber-cheap Ninthward Rorys and do a little bit of home-rockering. Then take the rest of your money and buy some bacon cheeseburgers.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Buy some uber-cheap Ninthward Rorys and do a little bit of home-rockering. Then take the rest of your money and buy some bacon cheeseburgers.
    I really like that idea, I could go for some cheeseburgers right now. But I think I can score some new onelife for $300. (not the ones in gear trade right now btw)

On gearswap somebody is selling some 169 obsetheds with px12's for 350, its a hell of a deal and would fit the bill for what you metioned

If you want rockered, and that cheap, very limited choice. Some of the K2's, if you like that feel, will fit. I saw an new 09 Anti-Piste the other day for $399 on a clearance sale, that was the Coomba with a rocker. Obsethed's are also out there.

But if you think the PE is soft and not enough pop, unsure any K2 will satisfy. I'd think about this year's Goat or Katana, you might score one for 4 benjamins if you look around at clearances, small shops wanting to unload their inventories, get past the first page of Google search.

perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    On gearswap somebody is selling some 169 obsetheds with px12's for 350, its a hell of a deal and would fit the bill for what you metioned
    Be more like your dog...

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    If you want rockered, and that cheap, very limited choice. Some of the K2's, if you like that feel, will fit. I saw an new 09 Anti-Piste the other day for $399 on a clearance sale, that was the Coomba with a rocker.
    '09 Anti-Pistes (167cm) are going for about $210 on evogear.com when you use their 35%-off code. It has a 102mm waist, small rocker, and is more or less the same as the Coomback but with tele inserts (which, I'm told, don't interfere with alpine binding mounts). You can also pick up Dukes for, like, $250, and end up with skis and bindings for $460.

I'm solving problems today, people. Who's next?

I've got some Surface Live Life's 08 year (I believe) new/unmounted that I could let go for 276 plus shipping/paypal

get volkl chopsticks. im your same height and weight. im a fairly aggressive skier. and i love my chopsticks. they would be my daily driver if i didnt have my gotamas as a touring ski with barons.

ON3P Wren...

And, you could probably snake some for 550-ish, and it is worth selling some Plasma or sperm over to accomplish
    You should have been here yesterday!

I'm trying to narrow down what skis will fit me best, hopefully I can pick something up before the season is over.

What I'm on: 159 K2 Public enemies, I think the first year they were made. Too short and too skinny. Not poppy.

Where I ski: Mostly A-Basin, Vail, Breck. I don't huck anything huge, but I'm trying to get better.

What I'm looking for: A twin tip (or partial twin) with tip rocker and camber underfoot that's stiff enough to charge any conditions but not so stiff that it isn't playful. I'd like something about 100-115 underfoot.
    So far I've really wanted to get JJ's, S3's, or Surface OneLife's. 185 JJ's are super hard to find and I've heard that the 175's ski so damn short. I hand flexed some S3s and they seemed very playful and poppy but felt like they might be too soft for crud.I know ON3P has some models that fit what I'm looking for, but I don't see them for sale used anywhere and I don't have the money to blow on new ones.
    Any help guys?
    Thanks

Umm...have you skied any of the above or have you just been killing it all year on the 159 PE's? Go demo some skis and find out what works for you in terms of waist width, length, and rocker profile. Oh, and hand-flexing skis and making decisions soley on that information is totally the way to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Umm...have you skied any of the above or have you just been killing it all year on the 159 PE's? Go demo some skis and find out what works for you in terms of waist width, length, and rocker profile. Oh, and hand-flexing skis and making decisions soley on that information is totally the way to go!!
    Unfortunately I haven't demoed any skis. I never seem to be around when demo event are going on and I don't have a car so I just have to ski where my buddies are going.

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189880"]Feeler: 185 JJ's - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

You would be hard pressed to get more fun for 350 bucks than this deal.

Just get em. There tons of reviews on them here but to sum, crazy easy to ski, ski short, carve well (for fat skis) and are really fun in pow.

Any help guys?
    Thanks

I'm 6'1" and 180 pounds, skiing for about 20 years and freeriding for 15.
    Last season i couldn't get the 185 JJ i wanted, and decided to try some 175... I skied all the season on them and as expected, they were short for me... BUT even super short, a super fun and versatile ski. This year (season here at the Andes stars on June) i'm finally going for 185 JJ, but didn't forget the great season I had over my 175...

Thanks, everybody's input has been really helpful. This place is a goldmine compared to all the kids on NS that just say "Get afterbangs or pip-cleaners."
    Anyway, as I said earlier, I can get some new surface onelife's for $300, so I want to grab that.
    I've also found some great deals on 185 and 175 JJ's. I really wish I could ski em to make the final decision.
    EDIT: AHHH! REI has S3's for $300. Now I'm stumped. 3 skis that everybody seems to love, all I can find at great prices.
    Last edited by GnomeinGnarnia; 03-31-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Nobody has mentioned the new Gotama. It doesn't have traditional camber underfoot but reviews seem positive, and seem to be saying it's still very versatile. Now that it's so late in the season I have seen it numerous places brand new for about $400.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Can't speak to the Surfaces, but would say that the S3 and JJ are very distinct skis, so not just an issue of "everybody loves." Neither are exactly XXL's for your stated need to charge, but the JJ will be lighter and quicker in tight places, have more pop, while the S3 will be a bit more stable and damp, better (not great) on hardpack. Can't speak to the Surfaces. So this may depend on what your priorities are; you can't have everything in one ski, despite what some folks here claim. If it were me, I'd think about all the days when your area will NOT get fresh snow, go with the S3 as an everyday all-around, save up for a dedicated pow ski like a Praxis Pow, or new PM whatever-they're-going-to-call-their-reverse, or DPS 138 later.
    Last edited by Beyond; 04-01-2010 at 01:20 PM.