Thread: Dibs?

Dibs?

What is protocol for when "dibs" are called but no further communication is made?
    Wait a half day, a day, a week, or what, for the buyer to get back to you?

And yes, it is in regards to the VCT thread. Guy called dibs, I PMed him back this morning, have not heard back from him yet. A bunch of others have now fallen into line behind him. I am not really worried, but I don't want to lose a sale to another mag who wants them, ya dig?

I really don't care about waiting a day, but, what is protocol for the "dibs" system?

JONG away!
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

money talks and bullshit walks.

dibs = funds on the way, just need to arrange payment in my book.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I always hated the whole dibs thing... money talks.

it seems like a lot of people respect the dibs thing... and common protocal seems to be 24 hours.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    DIBS= slacker stoner skifishbum
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I agree with Marshalolson and skifishbum
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Dibs and a PM trying to arrange payment/provide info is "real" dibs. Without other communication with the seller, calling dibs is b.s. and is a discourtesy to the seller.

If I were selling and got no other communication, I'd wait half a day to let the guy do work or whatever, send him a second PM to give warning that "dibs" is expiring, and move on the next day. YMMV...

dibs is however you want to define it on your sale. You don't need to respect it at all, or you can wait a week.

But for me, as has been said already, dibs = I will take it and am now arranging payment and/or contacting you.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Dibs in some peoples mind is hold on till I get paid on Friday, No not unless its thursday night....
    Dibs needs to be followed by a PM requesting paypal address. I expect funds within 4 hours or onto the next one
    I treat people the way I would treat them if I was the buyer
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

What marshal said.

Money talks. If I call dibs, I'm just making sure that nobody beats me to the punch in the next say, 30 minutes while I'm PMing/emailing to arrange payment.

If it doesn't happen within a reasonable (as defined by you) amount of time, then move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Dibs means JACK SHIT.

I have had many good deals - but almost as many people who flaked... and almost none of my sales have gone to the first "Dibber".

I go by this if I'm selling:

1. Long standing maggs with a good reputation.
    2. Immediate PM's / Email /phone call to arrange payment and pickup/shipping.

I've told Jong buyers no thanks quite a few times. If I wanted to sell gear at TGR prices to jongs, I'd go to C-List and charge more.

TGR is strictly for good prices going to worth while bro-hamms that post stoke and nice pix of titties.

As a seller, I've given people 24 hours to get me payment. If you can't pay in that amount of time, don't send it without contacting me to make sure I haven't sold to someone else in the mean time.

As a buyer, I've done my absolute best to make payment immediately after receiving a paypal address. Only on one occasion have I not been able to pay within 10-15 minutes of receiving the address, as I was at a conference, and couldn't access the internet until we broke for lunch. 3 hours later, paid.

I'd say 12 hours without any form of contact would be bad form. As a seller, I'd be upset, gear has a tendency to move quickly on here. 24 hours, and you've lost dibs.

I don't believe in dibs.

As a buyer, i don't post in the thread, just pm the seller. If he'll take what I offer, it's paypalled in under five minutes. The seller can post 'sold' if he wants.

As a seller, i'll go along with most of the above. If someone calls dibs and doesn't get me a pm in the next ten minutes, it means shit. If he pm's me, he and i work out how soon he pays, usually 4 hours or less. He can't do that, it's done.

I'm a bit of an ass about it, but that avoids misunderstandings.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Defined by the seller.

Dibs should be followed w/ contact info/transaction details. I think it recognizes that syncing up schedules/payment methods may take a varying amount of time, and as long as we're headed down that road dibs make sense. If I'm sorting out somebody's personal check I'm not going to let some dude with paypal jump in line, and I'd be annoyed if I was the buyer in that situation. Ultimately, though, that's the seller's discretion.
    focus.

Well, the guy who called dibs in this situation just PMed me and said that the buyer of his skis backed out so now he has to back out of our transaction. Should have just sold them to the first person with the dollars!

So, if the guy called dibs, said he would take them, then backed out, would it be uncalled for to leave bad feedback in said individual's profile page or in the feedback thread? It might have cost me another sale to at least two other buyers who I sent packing after he called "dibs".
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by F.D.V. View Post
    Well, the guy who called dibs in this situation just PMed me and said that the buyer of his skis backed out so now he has to back out of our transaction. Should have just sold them to the first person with the dollars!

So, if the guy called dibs, said he would take them, then backed out, would it be uncalled for to leave bad feedback in said individual's profile page or in the feedback thread? It might have cost me another sale to at least two other buyers who I sent packing after he called "dibs".
    You put yourself in a box by going by dibs instead of cash. You can sell shit to whoever you want. You choose to send cash packing, you deal with the results.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

i've seen dibs called in gear swap and just moved on instead of pming.

dibs on dibs

regarding feedback, i'm not sure. might be determined by how much a PIA it is to move the skis now.

the guy should have made full disclosure with regard to the conditional nature of his dibs (i need to sell my skis before i have the $ to buy yours) so that you could have treated his less than solid commitment in the way you deemed best.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Just posting Dibs without an immediate PM to arrange payment should mean nothing....

Posting Dibs with a contingency for a photo or relevant question is somewhat understandable but should be overruled by the guy willing to make the go/no-go decision based upon the posting as it is...Why should the seller have to work harder to sell shit if someone is ready to put up the cash?

If you post dibs then stick to your word and just buy the fucking thing and deal with it. If it turns out to not be what you want then resell it.

This isn't Egay...we shouldn't need rules to make us do the right thing?

For an outlaw community, we are strangely good about respecting one another...espicially the whole "Dibs" thing...don't fuck it up!

Dibs - means I am PM'ing you immediately to arrange the payment/shipping...

No PM then you never fucking existed!

Just my JONG $.02
    Last edited by moops; 03-24-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: stupid spelling

is there any way to call double dibs and trump the original dibs or perhaps call dibs but really what's going on is the dude is hungry and it's a typo for ribs? i mean ya never know... in conclusion, money gets the girls and the goods.

I never quite know what to make of the "money talks" routine.
    So, someone else calls dibs before me, it seems the suggestion is that I need to paypal the mag a bunch of money just hoping that my money will talk. Then, presumably I get my cash back when JesseJones decides to sell to the original dibber?
    Then I see sellers who haven't responded to my PM saying I've got cash in hand but need a paypal addy, but they update their post to say somebody already sent them money. How the fuck to you send somebody money if you don't know their addy and you don't know if they've sold the shit already.

Seems like what's been said above: Dibs means I'm ready to buy and we just need to sort out payment method. "Tentative Dibs pending (pics,details,etc)" means if you want to put up with my bullshit, I'm here, but if a more motivated buyer comes along he's all yours.

Quote Originally Posted by moops View Post
    If you post dibs then stick to your word and just buy the fucking thing and deal with it.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by coreyb View Post
    is there any way to call double dibs and trump the original dibs or perhaps call dibs but really what's going on is the dude is hungry and it's a typo for ribs?
    mmmm, dibs on ribs

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Then I see sellers who haven't responded to my PM saying I've got cash in hand but need a paypal addy, but they update their post to say somebody already sent them money. How the fuck to you send somebody money if you don't know their addy and you don't know if they've sold the shit already.
    ^^^ the classic "dibs block".
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

My experience as a buyer - dibs is followed in minutes by "How can I pay you?". If I have questions or reservations, no dibs. About the only non-immediate payment situation is if I absolutely NEED pics, but if someone snags it in the meantime, too bad for me.

My experience as a seller - dibs followed by waiting sometimes days for questions to be cleared up. If you call dibs, know what size you need, what color you want, whether dings, scratches, stains, etc. Sometimes I have waited days until I hear from them, and other times, nothing at all. If there's no immediate payment on dibs, I'm through waiting unless it's someone who I know personally. This is a new thing for me, but I hate being strung along.
    Last edited by axebiker; 03-24-2010 at 05:33 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

advres Guest
    I just called dibs on a camera from smmokan. I PMed him immediately, he got back to me with shipping price immediately and he had his money paypal'd within 10 minutes of the calling of the dibs. That's how it should work. Any lolligagging around waiting is bullshit. If I called dibs and didn't PM him within a few hours I would expect to have him sell it to someone else.

If I'm the seller, I sell to who I want. I'm still holding wheels for someone I know from a month ago who called dibs. It's cool. If I don't know you, I better have money pretty fast after a dibs or an explanation of when I'll get it. Then I'll decide if I want to wait but I'll always tell the dibster my decision.

If I'm the buyer, I'll sometimes call dibs but I'll pm instantly to tell my situation. Sometimes there's a deal too good to pass up and I want to mull it over for an hour, sometimes I'm dibsing for a friend and have to make a phone call, sometimes I have to see if it will work for what I want to do with it. I always say in my pm not to wait for me to make a decision if the seller is in a hurry to get rid of something.

If I know it's what I want, a pm goes out saying check or paypal. Send me an address and preference and funds will go out that day.

Really, it comes down to communication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!