Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Have: 10 Grand; Need: Car

So I'm moving back west and shipping my loyal 2001 Subaru Outback with 85k miles across the country would cost me $1000. YIKES. So I'm going to sell her (for about 8k) and add the money I'd be using to ship her (and an extra grand for shits 'n giggles) for an upgrade.

Options:

1) Another 2000-2004 Subaru Outback with about 60,000 miles

2) A 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Wagon with about 100,000 miles

3) A 2002ish Volvo V70 XC with about 80,000 miles

4) A 2002ish BMW 325xi (sedan or wagon) with about 60-80,000 miles

She'll be used around town and on relatively frequent commutes from the Bay Area to Tahoe. Do you have any reasons why I should NOT buy any of the aforementioned options? Is upkeep on the Audi/BMW going to significantly jack up the cost in the long run?

WTF should I get. I've been looking at so many car ads my head hurts.
    Hail Ullr

Honda Element?
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I would look for a 2001 or 2002 Tacoma TRD with lower milage. Tacos run forever and parts are cheap.

Put some BFG All-Terrain KOs on her and SLAY any and all road conditions.

Those early elements are butt ugly imho. How are the 01/02 Tacos on gas?? That's an interesting option I had totally forgotten about since selling my old lifted Ford Exploder...
    Hail Ullr

Love my taco, but only because I do like 5k/year on it. Doesn't get good enough mileage to commute from SF to Tahoe every weekend.

Why not drive the subie cross country?

WNL's 06 impreza books for around 10k and is by far the nicest driving, most reliable, easiest car I've had. And gets just around 30 mpg. And can do stuff in the snow my taco can't, including tow the snowmobile trailer better.

Was gonna drive her across the country with the girlfriend but then the girlfriend didn't work out (after 2.5 years...), and I'd rather put the time/money into other ventures now (like traveling outside of the states).

I'll look into the Impreza, thanks for the heads up.
    Hail Ullr

Coming from a European car mechanic that owns both a Forester Xti and a 325xi wagon I would choose the 325xi out of the cars on the list. The xi is a pure pleasure to drive, works great in the snow, and you get a lot of car for the money spent. You can pick up a used xi in the 10-13k price range that is in great shape and low miles. The 2.5l will last forever and you also get the benefit of not having to worry about timing belt replacements. About the only maintenance things you will have to worry about are replacing the cooling system at 100k, typical shocks and ball joints, and cv boots. I would stay far away from any VAG products unless you have a deep wallet to keep it on the road. Subaru's tend to have a very high resale and I don't see the value in them these days. I have owned Subaru's for 6 years too and will not be purchasing another. Also the early Volvo XC's 98-03 have major issues with expensive items like transmission failures, throttle body failures, and undersized brakes and suspension components that constantly wear out. Owned a Volvo V40 wagon as well and will not own another Volvo product. Fire away if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

^^ this is why I love TGR. I sure do have more questions for you.

1) What do you mean by VAG products?
    2) The mileage seems decent on the 325xi - but I found one site that said it requires premium gas only. Is that true?
    3) Any difference between the wagon/sedan version? Should I lean one way or another?
    4) I've known some bmw's to have electrical malfunctions, any issues with the 325xi?

Thanks man!!
    Hail Ullr

1. VAG = VW and Audi Group
    2. I drive like an ass and with the auto expect low 20's on gas mileage. The awd and auto are a poor combo for good economy. I can see mid 20's if I drive normal. Expect a manual to get better mileage. Every car on the list except the Subaru Outback (unless the Outback turbo xt model) require premium gas. I run mid grade in the BMW and it's fine.
    3. They are essentially the same car. The sedan is more available though as there are not too many wagon xi's around. There is a really cool ski pass through/bag option to look for in the one you get. I prefer wagons for my dog so it is an easy choice for me.
    4. I can't say I have to deal with too many electrical gremlins on the BMW's. Maybe more so with the older ones but stupid little stuff. With the 02+ E46 you really shouldn't have any issues. I just spent 3 hours today diagnosing electrical problems on a VW Passat at work, much more common to have issues with vw/audi. Check out e46fanatics.com forum and poke around. Also have a reputable shop that knows these cars pre-buy it for you. Could save you big bucks in the long run.

Thanks so much - I'm heading out Monday to check out an '02 325xi with 62k miles for 10grand, and I won't buy without a mechanic pre-inspection. Pretty excited!
    Hail Ullr

If you'd consider something without AWD, I'd look at a used Mazda 3 wagon. I bought a used Mazda Protege 5 (predecessor to the 3 wagon) in 2006, and it's been a fantastic car, even in the snow. Had it for a year in Tahoe with zero issues, and it's handled the current (albeit mellow) Utah winter just as well. FWD will save you a bit on gas while driving around the Bay too. Worst that happens is you throw chains on over Donner Summit every now and then.

If you hadn't said you've already decided, I'd start with, why ship? You can drive for less than half that, including gas, food, and sleezy motels, end up with a car you know that isn't a lot different than the unknowns you will pay 10K for. That said, middle aged Tacomas make a lot of sense for out west. Most versions are good for 250K, if 4WD you can take them anywhere, nice to just toss your shit in the back. Do some research on the engines. Some good threads here.

Also why does a BMW excite? Have driven several (318, wagon, X5, X3) in the snow, they do OK on plowed roads if AWD, but not much clearance, suspension is built for hugging curves, not washboard roads, repairs will cost you a kidney, and the nice leather trim isn't totally happy with snow, salt and mud. Mostly depends on lifestyle projections, I guess.

This thread is well timed. I have been thinking about replacing my 16 year old Ford Ranger, was originally thinking I would buy new, but now thinking I would buy in the $10k range. AWD or 4WD is my only firm criteria (and probably manual tranny).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

still kicking myself for not jumping on dieselcruiserhead's passat wagon for under $4. That thing looked cherry...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Seems like having a car you know the history of is way less a gamble. Driving east coast to west coast can be done in as little as 4 days solo, 6 comfortably. Find someone to drive it for you? I was between jobs once and drove a friends car Portland-Boston solo, pretty fun times visiting friends and checking out some cool shit along the way.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

^^^ On that note, there are a number of 'driveaway' companies that match drivers with cars needing driven...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    ^^^ On that note, there are a number of 'driveaway' companies that match drivers with cars needing driven...
    as someone who has been a driver for driveaway cars many years ago, my advice is, don't do a drieveaway company.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Whoa this thread got popular. I ain't letting some young whippersnapper shred the shit out of my subie driving her across the country, and since she's getting up towards 100k (which is the impossible to sell range in my experience) I'd rather let her go and get something with closer to 60k that'll keep it's resale value up for another 6 years (2 years of floating, 4 years of med school).

time to keep refreshing craigslist...
    Hail Ullr

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    still kicking myself for not jumping on dieselcruiserhead's passat wagon for under $4. That thing looked cherry...

Don't kick yourself too hard, every TDI I have worked on has been a pos. The newer ones should be better but time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by gholman12 View Post
    Whoa this thread got popular. I ain't letting some young whippersnapper shred the shit out of my subie driving her across the country, and since she's getting up towards 100k (which is the impossible to sell range in my experience) I'd rather let her go and get something with closer to 60k that'll keep it's resale value up for another 6 years (2 years of floating, 4 years of med school).
    My buddy who decided to have three kids just sold his 2000 Outback Wagon for $3900 bucks. Took him two days though it prolly helped that a major winter storm was bearing down on the neighborhood. 185k and since it was an east coast transplant the thing was rusty underneath.

Cars depreciate more from 60 to 85 than from 85 to 110k etc with.

I understand you want a newer, cooler car. Just don't bother trying to justify it on cost. Chances are good that your Subaru is just now entering the cheapest period for cost of ownership per mile even if you have to shell out a few bucks to get is across country. You'll have to pay taxes on a new car and have higher registration and insurance fees. My 02 is now at 115k and knowing what I know about it I've no plans to trade it till I can find and a afford a decent diesel wagon that will offer me low ownership costs for years to come - but at the rate this country is rocketing toward insolvency and our fear of diesels that might be a long time.

car reg. here in CA is $$$

So if I were to drive my NH registered car to CA is there some reason that it would be cheaper to get it registered there than to buy an already CA registered car in CA?

I have to switch my residency back to CA for med school purposes so I can't keep it registered in NH...

And insurance wouldn't be an issue cuz (lucky me) I'm still on mommy/daddy's car insurance plan (although I pay for my own share) but we could just assign the newer, spiffier bimmer to daddy and I'd take the 2001 Camry under my name, hence nixing much of an insurance hike.

(You're right though Mr. UglyMoney, I am just trying to make excuses to buy a cooler car )
    Hail Ullr

This makes me sadpants to hear that you can get an '02 325xi for that little $. Oh well. Absolute ripper car, be sure to get the manual transmission. I put some snow tires on mine ('04 sedan) and it's been unstoppable up LCC in all the big storms this year. Nothing drives quite like a BMW. I drove a Subaru Legacy GT (turbo) and an Infinity G35x while shopping, both of the Japanese cars were faster 0-60 but the handling and refinement in the BMW just blows the others away. Also drove an A4 which was nice, but slower and really mushy through the corners. And the BMW isn't any slouch. Have fun shopping!

P.S. when you switch from the 01 Subie (we had one in the family) you are going to shit your pants at how much better the turn radius is.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Mmmmmm black with a manual transmission = exactly what I'm looking for... you have excellent taste.

I'm probably going to need to put a roof rack/rocket box on mine as well, but none of the sedans seem to come with one (whereas the wagons do). Does BMW make their own rack for the sedan, or do you have to go 3rd party? Are they expensive?
    Hail Ullr

Thanks! I luv it. Sport package, aluminum interior trim as well Only prob with mine is the backseat doesn't fold down and has no pass-thru. Small sacrifice for finding everything else I wanted in a used (CPO) car.

As far as the rack goes, the 3 series have this really cool track system in the roof. Just flip up these little levers in the roof and there is a screw-in plug for the rack towers - you have to go Thule (or re-branded BMW racks). Not too spendy really, pretty standard rack pricing. But it's a great system because the rack towers don't rest on the paint. And super easy to install/remove.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.