School me on creating a massive garden complex on the cheap...

So, since Rasta ski dog bro has stated that sod wastes the world's ever dwindling water supply I have started to think about creating a massive garden complex. Have not checked this out yet with the boss woman yet, but, the more solid the pitch the better it will be received.

Any recommendations for doing it on the cheap (less than 1200) and also for keeping the neighborhood cats out of their newly found Mecca of shit holes? The area is already fenced in about 6' high with chainlink, but, the cats still seem to make it into the yard to shit and piss in the beds we have already installed.

The soil at present is PH neutral, is slightly rocky, and does not contain a wealth of nutrients. N-P-K ratios would have to be improved, that is for sure, esepecially if I use the soil that is already there. Raised beds? If so, rock or wood? In ground garden with borders? Import soil or drive to a local horse barn and shovel shit?

I live in S. Colorado, the yard/garden area gets sun all day (south facing) and we get a decent amount of rain. Really looking to raise veggies and the like for winter canning, etc., so I can afford more skis, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

sheet mulch the entire lawn. I'd do raised beds with wood. put out a mayday to all your family, coworkers and friends for good composting materials. Horse manure works but you need to compost it first. The first year will be the hardest, set your mind to getting a good composting system running and limit yourself to a couple of beds at first. Remember it's a process not an event.

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    My $.02;

Plan a backyard that mixes a nice large hardscape patio (granite dust/flagstone/cement/etc) with a modest section of grass (for doggers, parties and resale) that are surrounded with curving beds with a mix of areas for native trees/bushes, zero maintenace flowers/foliage plants, and intermixed areas for veggies, etc...

I personally think wood structure raised beds may be fine for areas that are hidden and fully agricultural production/use, but in a residential backyard also used for entertainment IMHO they look tacky... besides they often rot in 5 to 10 years. Do something more artistic, that blends with a larger design. But again... who gives a shit what I think.
    pmiP triD remroF

-dna-

!!!timoV cimotA erutuF

-ottom-

"!!!emit a ta anigav eno dlroW eht gnirolpxE"

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    [spew] A few more comments... this "design" stage is where you need to slow down and take some extra time. A good design doesn't always equal expensive... you can substitute materials or do it in sections. For example plan a patio, but build it with cheaper traffic bond (mix of different stone sizes and sand etc designed to pack tight) to start, and later make it concrete or flagstone or brick or whatever. For sections example, buy 1/3 of the plants in each of the next 3 years... etc. Remember if you build something and a few years later start over, you just wasted a ton of money.

Some design thoughts... Think of building an "outdoor room", a space where you can chillax by yourself, or have a bigger group over on a beautiful warm summers eve. My preference is to have almost zero straight lines in the design, exceptions might be the hardscape patio if done in multiple unconnected rectangular sections. Certainly by the time you get to landscape bed edges, rocks, dirts and plants... nothing straight ever. And again... mixing the veggie sections into the landscape beds around the outside of patio and grass area in the sunniest areas can look great and be productive.

I also thought I'd remind you that LOTS of people PLAN to be vegetable gardeners and build up big garden areas, only to let the weeds take them over in a year or two when they've lost interest. Make sure to judge how successful you've been long term in past "plans" of these sorts... if not too good, may be best to not go gonzo on making the whole backyard a veggie garden.

Some things I'd try and put in any new design, in addition to parts of post above... an arbor or trellis, fire pit (if allowed by local codes), an outdoor fireplace (budget buster), outdoor "kitchen" area (maybe as simple as a spot for grill and some table prep space next to it), good night lighting scheme including mix of moonlighting and uplighting out in the landscape.

There are some real design pros, and other frustrated wannabes like me around. Maybe list some dimensions of backyard, description of terrain changes, any existing features like trees etc that you want to keep, and perhaps most helpful would be pics of backyard from several angles.

I quick grabbed some interweb pics of spaces with patios plus smaller grass areas, etc. Most are different climates... with completely different trees, temperatures, etc... but give you ideas to kick start your brain. I also grabbed some examples of fire pits and etc.

[/spew]
    pmiP triD remroF

-dna-

!!!timoV cimotA erutuF

-ottom-

"!!!emit a ta anigav eno dlroW eht gnirolpxE"

^^^ Good luck doing any of that (except the last one) for under $1200.

Just put grass in your back yard. Maybe not as much as you originally thought, but there's nothing wrong with it. Leave a decent amount of room for gardens and a patio, but with the amount of rain and sun (and relatively cool temps), grass doesn't suck up water like a lot of other areas around the country.

1. Round-up entire area - wait till everything is dead.

2. Mulch / Peat Moss entire area

3. Roto till entire area

4. Seed to taste - choose deer proof plants or suffer. (Bee Balm-many colors available, Butterfly Weed, Cone Flower, yarrow-avoid white, loosestrife) I would plant them in drifts vs mixing everything together. Mix looks like a mess quickly. (I'm in zone 3 and all these plants work great)

5. Fill in with potted perenials for things you like that don't grow too well from seed,if you have the budget. Siberian iris ads a nice texture

6. Figure out what's a flower and what's a weed, and weed.....a lot.

7. Wait 3-5 years while weeding you ass off and you will have a fab garden for cheap. The plants will spread and multiplty so don't worry if it looks thin at first.

Quote Originally Posted by F.D.V. View Post
    Any recommendations for doing it on the cheap (less than 1200)
    Just don't think you have to get it all done in two weeks and you're fine. Use rocks you find and haul instead of buying them to make your raised beds. (I agree with miT that wood gets ugly fast, unless you find old railroad ties that are so saturated with creosote that they'll never rot, and do you want that in your strawberries?)

If you don't want to spend so much time shoveling shit, just build the rock walls for the beds but leave them open until you've got enough built to get a load of compost delivered. Fill up the beds with the good shit and your plants will grow like weeds.

This also gives you time to see how the layout is working before committing to it: if you don't like the look or the traffic flow, just move the rocks, and only fill in the beds once you're happy.

With such good solar exposure you could do a lot with cold frames.

Ooops, missed the part about the veggies first time around. Fuck veggies. They are ugly. Besides I'm not too sure a 6' fence will stop deer (They can almost walk over my neighbors 5 footer) and they LOVE veggies.

Pinners got himself a nice garden there. ^^^^

Look into installing an electric fence. We put one in when I had a hudge organic garden and it seemed to keep many critters out.

You can further discourage cats by buying coyote piss pellets or spray and sprinkling them around the perimeter. Also get in the habit of keeping a spray bottle or the hose handy and if you see a cat spray it. They hate that shit, yet it's humane. Believe me...get a cat soaked once or twice and you won't see it hanging around again.

Good luck, I luv big veggie gardens!
    Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

draw up your ultimate landscape, something like the pics posted above. Then, tackle it slowly over the years.

You will get there, unless you move of course.

Make sure to keep room for burying hookers. That shit comes up from time to time and when it does you dont want to be the asshole standing around with a spade in your hand wandering where the fuck to plant the "evidence". Trust me.

Talk to the local nurseries. Look into permaculture and native plants to your area - they will be best adapted to the environment you live in. If you want to grow vegetables, check out Elliot Coleman's books on 4-season and cold climate gardening. He does some awesome stuff in Vermont that translates OK to Colorado.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.