Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

GoPro HD- Things you'd wish you'd known from the beginning?

Picked up a Hero HD, heading on a [hopefully epic] trip in a week, so not going to have a lot of time to experiment beforehand.

Any helpful hints? Things it took a while to figure out? Any preference regarding mounting on top of your helmet (and looking a little dorkey) and mounting to the side?

All feedback appreciated.
    Last edited by Imz; 03-05-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Read the manual. Its amazing how many fuking idiots don't read the manual before they start. DOn't be one of them

Make sure your SD card works

Make sure you are happy with the camera angle. Almost everyone the first time around doesn't get it high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Read the manual. Its amazing how many fuking idiots don't read the manual before they start. DOn't be one of them

Make sure your SD card works

Make sure you are happy with the camera angle. Almost everyone the first time around doesn't get it high enough.
    I definitely read the instruction sheet... it was pretty minimal. I'm bringing that with me for sure.

Make sure your lens is clean.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Imz View Post
    Picked up a Hero HD, heading on a [hopefully epic] trip in a week, so not going to have a lot of time to experiment beforehand.

Any helpful hints? Things it took a while to figure out? Any preference regarding mounting on top of your helmet (and looking a little dorkey) and mounting to the side?

All feedback appreciated.
    Record a few different helmet mount positions and then view them back on the CPU to ensure that there is no helmet blocking the footage. Pay attention to the angle between the mount base and the unit, and use this as a reference point when going back to the helmet mount if doing different angles. There is a pretty decent sized margin of error since the field of view is so wide. The rubber thingy is to reduce vibration.

Kick ass unit, i'm really liking mine. Make sure your in record mode when you power up...mine changes depending on how long I hold the power button down for.

You might invest in a larger SD card if you are going on an extended trip - I think the 2 gb card only records like 18min of footage. Go for an 18 gb... definitely bring the manual. I bought a pelican case 1050 that I can put everything in (including the manual).

Use only class 6 sd cards or better, r3 seems to yield best results for fast action filming although I also like r5 results. You may need to download the proper codec to play back your video on the PC.

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCentralShralper View Post
    Go for an 18 gb
    if you can find one... i'd look for a 16gb though

def class 6... get a well-reviewed card, not the cheapest... check out newegg.com... should be able to grab a 16gb class6 card for around $40... i film in r3 (720p @ 60fps) so i can do smoooooth slow motion... i edit in imovie 09 and don't have to use any other software for converting, editing, etc... if you have a mac, i'd recommend using imovie 09...

I wish that I had figured out that the mystery rubber gasket is there to keep the mount base from rattling. You can also put two thin tape strips on the bases of the mounts and that will also work. Otherwise, it sounds like constant loud clicking in the recording.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

1. Spare battery (its not going to last the whole day)
    2. 16GB or 32GB SD Card (Class 6 or Class 10). 16gb is going to be roughly 4 hours of HD footage (1080p or 720p60fps).
    3. Make sure your helmet is tight on your head, even though you may have eliminated shake from the camera and its parts, a loose helmet will ruin your footage.

oh yea... 16gb NOT 18gb. Can you go slow-mo on imovie 09? I must have 08, no slow-mo... sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCentralShralper View Post
    oh yea... 16gb NOT 18gb. Can you go slow-mo on imovie 09? I must have 08, no slow-mo... sucks!
    Yup, its under 'Video Adjustments'.

1. Spare battery (its not going to last the whole day)
    When not recording just pop it off and stick it in a warm pocket. Less stuff to edit out at the end of the day too.

I wish i knew the lens likes to fog up just before i stick the sickest lines...
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Check the inside of the housing for dust/hairs etc before your day. 2nd on the check your angles - too high/too low (I've never had an issue when its on my helmet - even the first try, pretty obvious), charge your batts and make sure the card is empty before going out. 2nd on make sure your helmet is tight - vibrations show x100 when you have this thing mounted up there.

I've got a ContourHD and this is what I've found, which can apply to the GoPro HD and any helment cam in general.

1. Make sure the thing doesn't wobble on the mount.
    I've done a smooth groomer only to find the footage very shaky.

2. Make sure the camera is angled upwards slightly, most people
    lean their head forward while skiing and you don't really want
    footage of your skis.

3. If you can, invest in a polarized filter. It'll cut down the glare.

4. Buy the biggest memory card you can afford, or buy more than
    one. Buy extra batteries.

best advice, put a leash on the thing, I lost one skiing the woods, pretty sure a branch took it off but I was pretty pissed when I went to turn it off at the bottom and it was gone
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Does anyone have the chest mount? Is it worth spending the extra 40 or so for it?

We've been using the Go-Pro HDs all season and love em. The chest harness is comfy and works well but you see your knees on airs and to be honest the footage ldoesn't look as good as from a helmet mount, IMO. Looks kinda backseat. I've had it mounted on top which has been perfect other than for a tomahawk after a 50 footer, did quite stand up to that, haha....
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ohiosucks View Post
    Does anyone have the chest mount? Is it worth spending the extra 40 or so for it?
    Seems kind of pricey but in the end it is worth it for some things, like skiing. Makes it a lot easier to manipulate the camera and it is somewhat protected from low hanging branches.

I will still use the the helmet mount for my kayak footy.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    best advice, put a leash on the thing, I lost one skiing the woods, pretty sure a branch took it off but I was pretty pissed when I went to turn it off at the bottom and it was gone
    +1000000
    watch out for snakes

I have the chest mount as well, jury is still out. I think the helmet mount is better, at least for skiing. Second the lanyard, especially if it's mounted to your head, I have it looped to a vent in my helmet and to the adjuster knob on the mount and it never gets in the way of the lens. Also, get the biggest card you can, I have a 32G and it was def. worth the money. I disagree with putting the camera in your pocket when you're not using it, the change in temp will fog up the lens. If you have to, keep it in your pack until you get to where you're going to keep the temp change as minimal as possible. I've also noticed that having it on for extended periods of time will cause lens fogging from, what I've found out, the small amount of heat generated from the battery. Opening the case and letting the heat escape will fix that. I have mine set to shut off automatically after 5 mins, if it's not filming to help maintain battery life; I just have to remember to hit the power when I start a run. Anybody else notice how much of a pain in the ass it is opening the case after coming from high altitude, now that's a waterproof case!

i like the chest mount for biking and skiing because i find it less shaky than the helmet mount and i hate watching other people's pov (opp heh) and they are like looking around while they are skiing or biking. Chest mount for biking needs some work, because it points way too low when in agro-bike mode.

get used to the beep sound code it makes, it becomes a pain to take your helmet off to press record everytime. although it might be a good practice, i threw a quintuple front flip at the end of a double stager just to find my camera wasn't recording...

Great feedback. Bought a couple class 6 16g SDHC cards, checked my angles & my dangles...

Question:anyone try to mount the camera to the side of their helmet instead of on top? Any issues with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Imz View Post
    Question:anyone try to mount the camera to the side of their helmet instead of on top? Any issues with that?
    I have seen it mounted on the side, does result in the camera being upside down, so you will need to rotate your footage in post processing. Their documentation references a FW update to allow you to flip the video when recording, but I don't see anything released yet.