Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Imz View Post
    Great feedback. Bought a couple class 6 16g SDHC cards, checked my angles & my dangles...

Question:anyone try to mount the camera to the side of their helmet instead of on top? Any issues with that?
    I've been wanting to try that for my fullface too cause unlike my openface there's no good spot to mount it on top... Apparently the ticket is to mount it on the side and use one of their right angle bracket things
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

Quote Originally Posted by rugbydave View Post
    I've been wanting to try that for my fullface too cause unlike my openface there's no good spot to mount it on top... Apparently the ticket is to mount it on the side and use one of their right angle bracket things
    I put a mounting bracket on the front of a full face helmet. Right in front of the mouth. I like it for filming chase footage. Less visible hands and ski tips!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by rugbydave View Post
    Apparently the ticket is to mount it on the side and use one of their right angle bracket things
    been using the contourhd, but i've been turning it sideways on purpose like so

the mount failed on the contourhd and now i'm looking at the GoPro, if I can get the tall view to work out. sounds like you guys are saying I can if I moun t it on the side w/o one of the right angle brackets?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    the mount failed on the contourhd and now i'm looking at the GoPro, if I can get the tall view to work out. sounds like you guys are saying I can if I moun t it on the side w/o one of the right angle brackets?
    Powdork, I don't think you can mount the gopro on the side of your helmet and film at a 90 degree like you're wanting, the camera doesn't have a setting to rotate like that so you'll have to do it in a video editor.

As an aside, I've been using the right angle mount with the chest strap to get my camera more "up and out" to avoid the ski-tip filming and offset my forward lean.

Great vid of Once and Heart, by the way.

Last edited by sshores; 03-09-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: grammar

What types of crashes have your go pros sustained? Would a hard tomahawk with them rip off the sticky mounts and send the camera into a snowy abyss?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned loosing their camera after clipping a branch... haven't heard too much about loosing them in a crash. Anyone?

Friend bailed pretty hard this weekend and he said it ripped the camera+mount off (was mounted on the top of the helmet). He said it flew about 50 feet down the hill, still worked though, looking forward to seeing the footage.

Mine got ripped off the top of my helmet (mount and camera) after a tomahawk. Still worked fine after
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

As Dave said his got ripped off sticky mount and all after a violent tomahawk after a very large air.
    Another buddy ran over his head with his sled and the sticky stayed put but the plastic piece that connects to the camera and slides into the sticky snapped.
    If you have the time it might be wise to safety them. If not charge away, lots of other guys have crashed with no issues at all.

i am looking for the best spot to attach the adhesive mount to my smith variant brim. could someone post a pic of where they have it mounted? i am thinking around the second vent back from the front

thanks
    60% of the time, it works every time.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Where have you guys found good deals on class 6 cards?

What brand seems to be the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Where have you guys found good deals on class 6 cards?

What brand seems to be the best?
    Amazon has a few brands for around $40 (16GB card). I prefer SanDisk or Transcend. Transcend seems to be the volume leader and has a lot of positive feedback. I've got a Transcend Class 6 8GB card that has been working fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    i am looking for the best spot to attach the adhesive mount to my smith variant brim. could someone post a pic of where they have it mounted? i am thinking around the second vent back from the front

thanks
    Same helmet. Curved adhesive mount, front end of mount between first and second vent. Have yet to get any visor in my shot. Have the cam 90 degrees to the mount for steep terrain, and angled up for less steep terrain. Can also use the extender and face cam backward to clear helmet for rearward view. Try it there before you stick it on.

Pulled the trigger today and took it out for a few test runs. Definitely messed up the helmet mount cause you can see a ton of visor. Gonna try to make a custom chest mount with my Conterra chest pack tonight.

Pulled the trigger today and took it out for a few test runs. Definitely messed up the helmet mount cause you can see a ton of visor. Gonna try to make a custom chest mount with my Conterra chest pack tonight.
    You bought within 24 hours and already have the editing down way better than me and I've had the damn thing going on 2 months. That drop to hard pack was pretty nice by the way. I want to edit in slowmo too

Is that a drawback of using WindowsLive Movie editor? Anything out there that is free or worth paying a few bucks for that will significantly improve editing?

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I want to edit in slowmo too
    Then shoot in 60p.

mogadishu has a pretty sweet mustache for a hippy.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Then shoot in 60p.
    Thanks. For some reason I thought I was being limited by the editing software as his shot went to slowmo in the middle of a clip. Will put in some more time...

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Thanks. For some reason I thought I was being limited by the editing software as his shot went to slowmo in the middle of a clip.
    Yeah but it looks like shit.

See how it kind of skips/strobes? That's the editing software either doubling up frames to stretch out the clip, or doing what's called 'frame interpolation/blending' where the program fabricates frames to fill in spaces to stretch it out.

Compare with this.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/8940864"]Perspectives #4 - Point of View on Vimeo[/ame]

That's all 60p, played at 30fps. Which is full, whole frames so the motion is smooth. For decent looking slowmo, edit in a 30fps timeline, shoot 60 fps, and then stretch or change the percentage playback speed (this varies depending on the program) so that it's half speed.

If you really want to do slo mo in the middle of a clip, shoot everything in 60p, edit in a 30 fps timeline, and for 'regular' motion, play everything using only 30 of those frames. This will vary on your program. Some let you drop files shot at any framerate....... and it plays it all real time. The program will essentially drop half the frames to play 30fps at 30fps. Then any parts you want to slow down, you have double the frames at your disposal since you shot 60fps, just stretch those out.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Yeah but it looks like shit.

See how it kind of skips/strobes? That's the editing software either doubling up frames to stretch out the clip, or doing what's called 'frame interpolation/blending' where the program fabricates frames to fill in spaces to stretch it out.

Compare with this.

That's all 60p, played at 30fps. Which is full, whole frames so the motion is smooth. For decent looking slowmo, edit in a 30fps timeline, shoot 60 fps, and then stretch or change the percentage playback speed (this varies depending on the program) so that it's half speed.

If you really want to do slo mo in the middle of a clip, shoot everything in 60p, edit in a 30 fps timeline, and for 'regular' motion, play everything using only 30 of those frames. This will vary on your program. Some let you drop files shot at any framerate....... and it plays it all real time. The program will essentially drop half the frames to play 30fps at 30fps. Then any parts you want to slow down, you have double the frames at your disposal since you shot 60fps, just stretch those out.
    How would I go about doing this in FCP? I am shooting at 60fps using mode r3 on the GoPro.

How would I go about doing this in FCP? I am shooting at 60fps using mode r3 on the GoPro.
    Oh sweet, so you've actually got the 60p files to play with.....

What's your timeline on that little sample? Is it 60? I shot a bunch of clips at 60fps on my hpx a while back just to see if I could tell the difference between a 60fps timeline and a 30fps with some biking. I'll be damned if I could detect any meaningful difference whatsoever.

But traditionally (and now in my opinion), there's no reason to ever use a 60fps timeline. 60fps is there for slomo in a 30 or 24fps timeline. So I would take the 60 fps clips you've got and do exactly what I outlined. Drop them into a 30fps timeline and see what the default is. (sorry I'm not real familiar with final cut) If it plays at normal speed then you know you're dropping half the frames to make it a 30 fps clip for the 30 fps timeline. Use whatever the function in final cut is (time stretch, or playback speed.....whatever), and just double it. There might be a frame blending or frame interpolation feature that's on by default. Disable it and you should get really smooth slow motion without any ghost looking frames when you view a clip frame by frame.

Just by dropping a 60fps clip into a 30fps timeline, you MIGHT get it interpreted correctly by default. Try it and see what happens.

edit: just did a quick search and found this

http://www.ehow.com/how_2240862_appl...st-motion.html

You SHOULD be able to take your 60fps clips IN A 30fps TIMELINE, and just change that percentage to 50%. (not 200, sorry)
    Last edited by kidwoo; 03-16-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Hmmm, my timeline is 1080i60 at 29.97fps (did this because I will be mixing footy from the GoPro with footy from the big HD cam and thats the timeline I always use).

I up-rezed the GoPro footy just to see how it looked.

The uprez thing shouldn't matter. This is kind of confusing though.

1080i60 at 29.97fps
    Your timeline is 29.97, not 60? Does final cut just display an interlaced 1080 timeline like that? With the 60?

That shot of you jumping off that rock: go frame by frame in your timeline and see what happens. It looks really choppy. Kind of like it's doubling frames. I might be wrong and it just looks like that because these things use high shutter speeds to cut down on light when there's a shit ton of it (like on snow). But atrain's video is shot on snow too and he's using final cut. He's doing something like I describe.

Try a new project just to fuck around with the gopro stuff. Get out of the 60i interlaced thing, and see if you can get smooth, whole frames in a 29.97fps timeline.

What did you do to slow it down in that vimeo clip?

Edit: I fucked up in that last post. 50% is what you want, not 200. After effects uses 'stretch' so I typed that before thinking about it.

hmmmm, I gotta figure out the best way to convert my raw footage so that I can use it in FCP. I cannot import mp4s into FCP so I converted them to quicktime, but I did so at 30fps. Let me try to do it at 60, then it should be smoother in slow-mo.

hmmmm, I gotta figure out the best way to convert my raw footage so that I can use it in FCP. I cannot import mp4s into FCP so I converted them to quicktime, but I did so at 30fps. Let me try to do it at 60, then it should be smoother in slow-mo.
    Oh hell yeah......that's your problem.

By the time those clips made it into fcp, half the frames had been dropped.

I think some people have been converting to prores for easier editing. But either way, don't mess with the frame rates when all you're doing is converting formats. You can do that once it's edit time.

Ok, so I used mpegstreamclip to convert the raw footage to Apple ProRes 422. Converts super fast and looks great at regular speed, but still looks all crappy when I change the speed to 50%.....