Deep Thigh bruise= lots of fluid in leg

So, on Wednesday I cracked a 2"diameter tree stump with my thigh....HARD. It hurt like hell. I have a nasty bruise and it certainly still hurts, but my big concern is the fact that I have a good amount of fluid in my leg right where I hit it. It doesn't seem to have gotten any bigger (ie more fluid) over the past 24 hours, but it hasn't gotten any better either.

I skied another run or two after the fall and have been very active since, ie snowblowing, shoveling, etc.

Anybody experience this before? Should I run to the ER asap, or give it another day or two? In all honesty I have a busy weekend at work and would rather not spend too much time in the ER anytime soon.

did some more searching, this (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...t=fluid+bruise) sounds familiar, just in a different spot.

Sounds like I should probably see my doc soon.

BB, is the fluid (blood likely) kind of like a water balloon?

Since this is still acute, stick with ice and compression to limit further swelling. Also some gentle stretching of the quad to maintain your knee motion will help. This should be relatively pain free at this point in time.

No heat (increases swelling in acute phase), no Ibuprophen (thins blood).

If this is not getting better after a few more days or begins to get worse seek medical consult.

The info in the other thread sounds like it applies to you.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

swelling is definitely going down, but fluid doesn't seem to have dissipated. Probably go check out with the doc on Tuesday.

Do you think skiing with it will worsen the problem?

my guess is that the pocket of blood will expand if you use the muscle a lot.. i.e skiing will likely create more swelling.

As I said in the previous thread. my guess is your doc will not readily want to drain this hematoma if it is actively bleeding and may ask you to rest and do treatment (Ice/compress) on it for a while. If it does not resolve on its own but is no longer actively bleeding your doc MIGHT drain it. There is a risk of infection with draining anything.

WhiteRoom Skis

went to the doc today. The fluid sack was definitely pretty big. My doc referred me to a general surgery type doc who took a syringe and sucked out 105cc's of fluid. It was red in color, but not blood. He called it Edima (or Endima??). As he explained it that part of my lower thigh is skin, then fat, then Fascia (again I am sure I am butchering the spelling, etc), then muscle. He thinks I hit it hard enough to tear/push the fat away from the fascia creating a nice cavity that then starting filling with fluid. Now I am wearing an elastic ace bandage for a couple days and am going back Friday. He thinks it will fill again, so I will get it drained again and then hopefully be on my way. Fun stuff. Definitely the hardest I have ever hit something.

edema, and if it was reddish that means there was at least some blood in it. 105cc IS big. nice one. Yes I agree you'll likely have to have it drained several times. Keep the compression on and just rest to prevent further swelling.

WhiteRoom Skis

Don't forget that since it's your leg, it makes it hard to keep it elevated. That would be a pretty big contributing factor to the swelling. You're probably fine. Rub some dirt on it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

update!

last friday they drained another 60cc's and the doc didn't think it was necessary to keep compression on it and he said I could give skiing a shot. I went out and bought a pair of compression shorts anyway and took some runs over the weekend. Definitely made it worse. Went back again yesterday and back up to 115cc's. Fun stuff. I have compression on it now and am gonna take it easy for a bit longer this time.

Bluebird ! What ever happened to you leg ? How many drainings did it take ? How long 'till you were healed ? Did you need surgery to connect the layers and close the sac ? I'm in the same boat as you at the moment, due to having a door slam on my leg during a Typhoon. My injury sounds exactly like yours, and is even in the same place. They just drained 190cc, and the sac on my thigh is already filling again. Any advice? How will this all end ? Thanks in advance for your reply ~ !

Just hoped to insert a random point into this discussion, which is that most fluid collections/hematomas DO NOT need to be drained unless there is concern for something else, like an abscess, etc. They almost invariably re-accumulate and there is a very real risk of infection anytime you insert a needle through the skin into a sterile fluid collection (skin can be cleaned but never made completely sterile) - I have seen this happen numerous times, often with serious consequences. Just something that's often talked about among orthopedic surgeons, so I would recommend that all patients ask their doctor exactly what s/he hopes to achieve by draining a collection. Best of luck to everyone dealing with this issue!
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoski View Post
    Just hoped to insert a random point into this discussion, which is that most fluid collections/hematomas DO NOT need to be drained unless there is concern for something else, like an abscess, etc. They almost invariably re-accumulate and there is a very real risk of infection anytime you insert a needle through the skin into a sterile fluid collection (skin can be cleaned but never made completely sterile) - I have seen this happen numerous times, often with serious consequences. Just something that's often talked about among orthopedic surgeons, so I would recommend that all patients ask their doctor exactly what s/he hopes to achieve by draining a collection. Best of luck to everyone dealing with this issue!
    I agree (an exception being draining fluid under the skin after a mastectomy in case anyone reading this has had, or has a friend or relative who has had, one of those.)

did you go into shock after that hit bluebird? A small arm bruise from a tree,got me while ago. Cold sweats /nausea from my impact. Took a week for a blood blister to appear & rise....a few months to heal out.! .... YoU Guys taking a prescription strength Anti-Inflamitory? would be good to do so.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    update!

last friday they drained another 60cc's and the doc didn't think it was necessary to keep compression on it and he said I could give skiing a shot. I went out and bought a pair of compression shorts anyway and took some runs over the weekend. Definitely made it worse. Went back again yesterday and back up to 115cc's. Fun stuff. I have compression on it now and am gonna take it easy for a bit longer this time.
    Hello Bluebird, I've been run over by a motorcycle three weeks ago, due to this accident, I actually have the same symptoms you have described ... in my left thigh ... My doctor said that this would take up to 6 months to get cured ... My doctor has drained my leg twice: +200cc's at the first time and +200cc's at the second visit on last Tuesday, Feb 14 ... but my thigh continues to fill up of this red fluid that looks like "red wine", even though, I keep my leg compressed.

My questions are, how long did it take to your leg get well completely? and, what advise would you give me according to your experience?

Thanks in advanced ... Greetings from Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by m4729b View Post
    Hello Bluebird, I've been run over by a motorcycle three weeks ago, due to this accident, I actually have the same symptoms you have described ... in my left thigh ... My doctor said that this would take up to 6 months to get cured ... My doctor has drained my leg twice: +200cc's at the first time and +200cc's at the second visit on last Tuesday, Feb 14 ... but my thigh continues to fill up of this red fluid that looks like "red wine", even though, I keep my leg compressed.

My questions are, how long did it take to your leg get well completely? and, what advise would you give me according to your experience?

Thanks in advanced ... Greetings from Italy.
    Look above at what orthoski posted, draining the hematoma just makes room for more fluid collection and increases the risk of infection. It takes time. Sometimes you will have a permanent lump at the site. I have one on my hip from a deep bruise after hitting a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Look above at what orthoski posted, draining the hematoma just makes room for more fluid collection and increases the risk of infection. It takes time. Sometimes you will have a permanent lump at the site. I have one on my hip from a deep bruise after hitting a tree.
    Thank you Aaron for responding. I'm gonna talk to my doctor about orthoski's recommendation.

Look, doctor told me that I should be at home until the end of treatment (3 up to 6 months) in which I have to be in rest at home. That's why I'm worried, you know, it's such long time without working ... how long were you inactive?

Thank you Aaron for responding. I'm gonna talk to my doctor about orthoski's recommendation.

Look, doctor told me that I should be at home until the end of treatment (3 up to 6 months) in which I have to be in rest at home. That's why I'm worried, you know, it's such long time without working ... how long were you inactive?
    m4729b

If you update your forum name from a license plate to a proper handle, the swelling will go down

garanfuckingteed

heal up, that sounds unpleasant!

PM me your favorite stashes, I'll send you a pic of skidog's tits

As a general and vascular surgeon I would have to disagree with the recommendation for rest at home and with repeatedly draining the cavity. While staying off your feet while reduce the speed with which fluid accumulates you'll eventually heal whether you rest or not, and not working for months for what is basically a minor injury isn't practical, although maybe you have better disability insurance and job security in Italy than we do in the US. Just keep it wrapped all the time, as it sounds like you are doing.
    There are cases in which a chronic cavity forms that will never heal; in those cases surgery to remove the walls of the cavity and place a suction drain for a week or two may be necessary, but the great majority of cases will eventually go away with time.

Are you seeing a surgeon or orthopedist, or a general doctor?

It is my understanding that in Italy motorcycles don't have to follow any particular traffic laws and are free to run people over with impunity. Is this true? (Holland is weird about motorcycles too--they let them use the bike paths.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    As a general and vascular surgeon I would have to disagree with the recommendation for rest at home and with repeatedly draining the cavity. While staying off your feet while reduce the speed with which fluid accumulates you'll eventually heal whether you rest or not, and not working for months for what is basically a minor injury isn't practical, although maybe you have better disability insurance and job security in Italy than we do in the US. Just keep it wrapped all the time, as it sounds like you are doing.
    There are cases in which a chronic cavity forms that will never heal; in those cases surgery to remove the walls of the cavity and place a suction drain for a week or two may be necessary, but the great majority of cases will eventually go away with time.

Are you seeing a surgeon or orthopedist, or a general doctor?

It is my understanding that in Italy motorcycles don't have to follow any particular traffic laws and are free to run people over with impunity. Is this true? (Holland is weird about motorcycles too--they let them use the bike paths.)
    Hi old goat, very clear your explanation, it sounds that there's no serious injury to be worried about... thanks.

Answering your question: Are you seeing a surgeon or orthopedist, or a general doctor? I'm seeing an orthopedist.

Regarding traffic laws in Italy, we do have laws for motorcycles, they only can ride on the city streets and nowhere else, motorcycle riders must have insurance policy and they must wear the helmet, otherwise they would be breaking the law... If they run people over they would be responsible for all the damages caused.

I may get to take my own advice--got hit by a chair in the thigh three times today unloading--flat off ramp plus headwind.