Review: coreupt Richard Permin 09/10

Ski: 187 Richard Permin Pro
    Clamps: Tyrolia Peak 15's mounted on the line
    Skier: 24, 6' 170 lbs, skiing for 22 years but no racing or such. Likes to ski fast and blah, blah, blah; we all like to drop cliffs in to pow and ski hard.
    Similar skis tried: Brown 175 Sumos, Rossi S7, 193 EHP
    Conditions: Sierra at Tahoe, icy groomers turining into 2" of dust on crust latter in the day.

So this is going to be a two part review as it is going to snow all week in Tahoe, and I will ski these in their true enviorment.

I picked these up after I lost one of my Volkl Sumos to the powder about three weeks ago, and needed a new powder ski. There seemed to be a drought on Gear Swap of powder skis and the price was right. $470 shipped.
    Other skis I looked at were 4frnt CRJ, Moment Bibby and NT, BG, ect.

Out of the box: The shape looks great. At a true 187cm 139/125/136 they are very close too the Sumos, nearly identical untill the massive tip takes off. Flex is about a 4.5 on the marshalolson scale, Soft for the first third getting progressivly stiffer under foot to a soft forgiving tail that is a tad softer than the tip. Rocker/camber/rocker is less drastic than S7 or hellbents, wich I think provides a more predictable ride with less hooking in verable snow. Decent amount of camber (see pic) Not too keen on the graphics, but they are unique and won't get confused for any thing else.

On Snow: Staring out on icy groomed runs, the Permins performed admriabley. They hold there edges well and are light and "quick" for a ski this big. (due to the light weight) To carve I had to stay centered in my boot, and wait for the 28m radis to kick in. You can push hard and are rewarded with a solid feel and goos shaped GS turns. The have a little less hard snow performance than the S7, and about the same as the Sumo They feel like they are mounted a little to far foward of the effective edge on hard snow (wich makes them perfect for soft conditions) because of the rockered tip.

As the snow started to fall hard (about 2" in an hour thirty), the skis came into their own, with a max of 2", I was able to make any turn shape I wanted. Mach 99 Super G, Slarving, Very quick slalmon slashes. If I pushed I could find the bottom but not with out a hard hockey stop. As the snow got choppy, the tip would rider over the top and flap slightly but the ski stayed solid and rode great. More time and snow will be needed to pass full judment and a full assessment of hucking ability will be had. (The few airs I did do were 5' and less and could have been done on snow blades)
    Last edited by scorin; 02-23-2010 at 11:00 PM.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine,
    fostered by a delusional, illogical,
    liberal minority and rabidly promoted
    by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
    which holds forth the proposition
    it is entirely possible to pick up a
    turd by the clean end.'

Review: Coreupt Permins, 2nd Part

So after three solid days of soft snow skiing I have enough to make solid conclusions. Solid is a great way to discribe these skis. They STOMP any air! I got a little dissorented in the storm and accidently aired of a 20 footer, and was able to stomp the landing and slash three really quick turns to avoid splatting my self on any trees. The float is amazing. We had about 2' of very heavy sierra cement come in, and every one was struggling hard... except me! It snowed all day and the snow got better as it got colder, and at 4pm I was still ripping free refills when every one else was at the bar (paying for their refills).

They dont pivoit as well as full reverse/reverse, but still very quick in the trees and shoots. But you HAVE to stay centered or foward. These skis HATE to be ridden back seat. They just wont turn. They do fine in chop, skipping over it because of the huge nose, but no control issues, and a very high confidance inspiring speed limit.

It doesnt supprise me that Candide Thovex is ripping up the FWT on these. Look at his winning line from France, dude is hard core.

Great pair of skis for kinda cheep. Can't beat it.
    turd by the clean end.'

very interesting, thanks! are they made in sallanches or in china?

RED CHINA
    turd by the clean end.'

Where did you mount the binding? On the recommended line?

Right on the line. Wouldn't move it
    turd by the clean end.'

@Scorin

super review, thanks for sharing

You said you also tried EHP, I was wondering how do these compare in Pow/Trees/Grooms

What drew you towards these instead of the EHP's?

Thanks for the review, I'm in between these and the 186 EHP's so any advice is welcomed!
    Ski your best and Fuck the rest

I'm looking at getting a pair of these, they're gettting pretty cheap now but I'm wondering about the durability, I had a pair of the old candide yards last season and the build quality was dog, the edges blew by the end of the season and i only got them in feb

scorin have you had any problems with yours, they holding up ok?

The skis that are up on the Coreupt website at the moment are the first year of skis made in the Coreupt factory (in China). They are super bomber, and haven't had any warranty issues, from what I've heard. All the skis from the year before were Dynastars.

Huck

Hucked all year long, very happy with durability.
    turd by the clean end.'

I wanted to ask about installing bindings on these skis. in which they position relative to the ski center.
    Last edited by maksim; 10-29-2010 at 03:23 AM.

So is this the same as the Born to Drop? Dim's are the same... Anyone else get out on it and care to comment on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

No but seriously though...

The new graphics look good.

http://www.backcountry.com/coreupt-richard-permin-ski
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

I found a gem:
    Born to Drop vs. Armada JJ Pics

I'm not a coreupt fan or anything, I am just interested in this ski and the Watch Out Ski.

Anybody skied these Coreupt and the Bent Chetlers? How do they compare?

Would love more info on these as the specs look just like what I am looking for and the price is great.

Anyone rode the CoreUPT Richard Permin 2009's.

Born To Drops

not trying to spam this thread but, this years Born To Drops are sweet skis.

I'm working as a rep for Coreupt this winter. I'll have a pair of born to drops mounted up with demo bindings if any SLC guys want to give them a try.

email me at cmackenzie@coreupt.com

I got to flex them and take a close look at them over at backcountry. They really seem solid. The rocker profile is sweet. I ended up not doing it because i enjoy a ski with less camber that that had but by looking at it and flexing it I thing it would throw down.