need reccomendations on thin neoprene socks for wet wading

Are there any good neoprene or other material socks out there that would be ideal for wet wading? I just picked up the Korker's shoes on Deals on the Fly and want a sock to wear in them in the water. I don't want anything too thick though, for two reasons... 1. I got the shoes in my regular size, so a thick sock will make them feel too small. 2. I don't want something that is too thick that will get too hot when I am wading in the salt/tropics (Belize, Florida, Texas, etc.)

I know that Orvis has some neoprene socks that are 2.5mm thick. I was thinking they might work, but not sure.

Any good recommendations?
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

I use the basic Sims ones for wet wading - but with my regular wading boots. They're the kind that fold over the boot and attach to the laces - so not sure if they would be too thick for what you're looking for. I've used them with Tevas but they're made to be worn with wading boots.... They work great though. Super comfy, better than my wader booties.

"Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

I used to kayak, so we have a bunch of the NRS rodeo socks kicking around that always seemed to work well as a wet wading sock. Thin and slide easily in and out of boots. They don't have a gravel guard, but they are rugged as hell and backed by a great warranty.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...40&deptid=1168

Thanks guys.

I also saw some on Cabelas. They have the Simms sock for $30 and a Cabelas brand for $12 that is 2mm thick. Both do not have gravel guards, basically just a sock.

Cabelas recommends wearing a light wicking sock under them to wick moisture, but this seems kinda counter intuitive for wet wading, no?

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    Thanks guys.

I also saw some on Cabelas. They have the Simms sock for $30 and a Cabelas brand for $12 that is 2mm thick. Both do not have gravel guards, basically just a sock.

Cabelas recommends wearing a light wicking sock under them to wick moisture, but this seems kinda counter intuitive for wet wading, no?
    actually I tried this just by accident one day but now I always wear a patagonia silkweight super thin sock (not cheap) under the waders. even if it doesn't wick moisture, they're comfy and makes the booty slide right off when you're done - no fighting with neoprene friction against skin. not a big deal with wading sock but great with waders.

I use both. The Cabela's 2mm are what you want for lightweight wet wading shoes. I usually get two seasons out of a pair, but I wear dry shoes for all hiking between the truck and fishing.

If using traditonal wading boots that are sized to accomodate warm socks and the thick neoprene of stocking foot wader booties, use the thicker Simms sock to fill up the boot and eliminate "slop". I use this system for hot days in the boat, wearing just the boots and socks with shorts. If it looks like a rainstorm is coming, it is a quick change into the waders.

Saltwater wading will destroy freshwater shoes, so for that you want the rubber flats booties that resist salt and seal tight on the upper calf to keep out the sand. They are fairly inexpensive.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 02-19-2010 at 12:02 PM.

FYI, the shoes I purchased are the Korkers Torrent Shoe.

Buy spare soles. The longer you wear out the soles, the looser they get until one falls off in the river far away from the truck(seen that happen to friends 3 or 4 times). Good boots, but don't wait until the soles wear out to replace.

Patagonia makes some thin neoprene socks

or check out SealSkinz waterproof socks

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Buy spare soles. The longer you wear out the soles, the looser they get until one falls off in the river far away from the truck(seen that happen to friends 3 or 4 times). Good boots, but don't wait until the soles wear out to replace.
    Yeah, I plan to. These only come with the trail lug sole anyway. I am going to pick up a pair of felts and possibly the studded.

Does the Driggs shop sell Korkers? I am going to be there in June. May as well support one of my "local" shops if I can, unless I need them sooner.

Chota makes the best socks IMO. Super comfy, built in gravel guards.
    http://chotooutdoorgear.net/shop/pro...products_id=20

The Simms socks have always done me right.

neoprene-socks

Hi! I would like to share this great online resource : nauticexpo.

Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill, so what the fuck are you talking about?
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

I'm a fan of big ass wool socks for wet wading.

Don't you work at a fly shop or something you should tell us
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I have an older pair of padagucci felt sole boots and just slipped in a sims thick wading sock(40 bucks at bears den). So far after about 10 days in warm water the setup seems to be working well with very little if any sand making it into the boot. It doesnt seem overly warm either. I am going to try a thin nike dry fit sock inside and see if it is a bit more comfy.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."