View Poll Results: Felt Virtue 2 or Giant Trance X2

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Giant Trance X2

23 82.14%
  • Felt Virtue 2 with decent wheel upgrade

1 3.57%
  • None of the above, you suck and your mom is a whore.

4 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Affordable Trail Bike: Giant Trance X1 or Felt Virtue 2?

I am going to buy an affordable Trail Bike this spring--no more 33lbs climbing hog. Looking for sub 28lbs, 5" of travel. I get good deals on these two, which seem like very good values.

And yes, I'll still have the Prophet w/Lyric for "good timin'."

What say you? Please vote and/or post opinions below. Don't go suggesting every bike under the sun unless it retails in the same neighborhood as these. And I have no "in" at the Big S, so no need even going there. Footnote: If I buy the Felt, I'm replacing the wheels before it even hits the dirt, so don't schweat that up.

One love.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...x2/3897/37061/

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010.../VIRTUE-2.aspx
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

the felt rides awesome,the suspension is the real deal but the geo and fit are off... they never seemed to fit or handle quite right...

the trance is an amazing bike. more bike for the $ and everything about it "works".

just my .02
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I love my Trance X, feels even more capable on the down than my intense 6.6 ever did due to good geo, and it climbs like a billy goat.

Trance X FTW.
    Unbelievable bike.
    As mentioned before, I often run my 36 Talas on it in 100 or 140. PERFECT trail set-up.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ditto for what Marshall sez. That was exactly my experience.
    I hammered the shit out of a Trance X2 demo last summer with 0 complaints

Thanks, dudes. I love this place. My hesitation with the Trance is that in the new Bike mag annual review, they say that riders who weigh 200 or more couldn't dial in the suspension. I'm currently 195 and wonder about this....
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Thanks, dudes. I love this place. My hesitation with the Trance is that in the new Bike mag annual review, they say that riders who weigh 200 or more couldn't dial in the suspension. I'm currently 195 and wonder about this....
    Well, if you ride it a bunch you won't have to worry.

You could always PUSH the shocks. A bit pricey, but an amazing option.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Well, if you ride it a bunch you won't have to worry.
    Ha ha ha heh. I'm actually in decent shape. At best, I'm 190.

geo on the Felt just looks off. Maestro works well. I have a Reign X and want a Trance X to go with it. Great bikes.

I had a trance, I liked it! It was a bit too flexy in the front end for me, but I mostly downhill, and like to pretend I'm on my DH bike when I'm riding trail. Im getting a Reign this year.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    I had a trance, I liked it! It was a bit too flexy in the front end for me, but I mostly downhill, and like to pretend I'm on my DH bike when I'm riding trail. Im getting a Reign this year.
    Good choice. The Reign is super fun.
    I have the El Nino blues.

Ha ha ha heh. I'm actually in decent shape. At best, I'm 190.
    Just being captain obvious. I've heard many good things about the Giant, but Felt does not seem to have their MTB game dialed yet.

1. don;t trust bike

2. i weighed 220 last season, and had no problem getting the rear end dialed in $$$, it was plush, but never bottomed, and the bike climbed great. i never really even used lockout. the trance climbs as well or better fully active (same with the felt).
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I am 190 on a Trance X0 and have no problems. Never ridden the felt, so not much help there.

I have a reign and have a blast with it, i was deciding between the trance and the reign, and just wanted a little more rear travel

If you do go Trance X (and owning owe I love it), you might be able to find an '09 or even an '08 cheaper. Same frame.

I have an 06 Reign 1 and love it. I think that Giant offers an all around good value for a complete bike. I would like to have a trance as well but built a Giant XTC instead. Good luck with you decision.

Giant still has a few of last years Trance X1's in stock, ask your dealer about getting one, you could probably get a pretty good deal on them, and they come kitted!
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Giant still has a few of last years Trance X1's in stock, ask your dealer about getting one, you could probably get a pretty good deal on them, and they come kitted!

Yup...my contact at Giant just pointed this out. Unfortunately, I do not have the coin at the moment.

Thanks again for everyone's opinions. I am going with the Trance, me thinks, so long as it's available once I have the scrilla. If not, the Felt probably isn't the worst bike in the world.

Don't know anything about the felt, but I'm loving my trance x2. Rode it today on dry singletrack (with a little bit of water ice) in Missoula!?! Anybody know the weights of a trance x frame vs a reign frame?

Quote Originally Posted by The Stopper View Post
    Any one know if you can get Trance x frame only's? Seen a few places that mentions it but don't see them on giant.com. Have a 05 Reign that rips but would like something lighter for CO riding. I have a $ set up on my Reign , lyric, Hope's, nice components and don't need all the parts or what to spend the money for them.
    The lyric may be more suited to a reign frame. There is a large on ebay right now for a reasonable price (not my auction).

Just another $.02 for the Trances. I love my X2. Only complaint with the newer ones is that they've changed graphics from the sweet black-on-black frame I have - you have to look pretty close to see what kind of bike it is, which I think is neat in this brand-conscious age.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Just another $.02 for the Trances. I love my X2. Only complaint with the newer ones is that they've changed graphics from the sweet black-on-black frame I have - you have to look pretty close to see what kind of bike it is, which I think is neat in this brand-conscious age.
    It is a good lookin bike.

What's the Trance like for out of the saddle climbing? I heard Marshal refer to it as more of a sit and spin bike.
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 03-08-2010 at 09:08 PM.