Odd/disorienting feeling of "waking up" in the middle of a turn?

Got an odd one for you... This morning, 2nd run, I'm working my way through a steep glade - the top is pretty mild - mid-30's... About half way down it rolls over to 40+ degrees and tight trees lining the chute and some spotting the chute itself.

Making my first turn into the steeper stuff, I sort of have this 'waking up' feeling, mid extension, and totally freeze up. Like I forgot what I was doing for a second. To prevent basically straightlining from there, I end up hugging this small pine tree that I was planning to turn around. It only took a couple of seconds to get my head straight - untangled myself from the tree and made my way down... The rest of the run was a little wobbly, but okay. Subsequent runs seemed normal.

Does this sound familiar to any of you?
    Last edited by ski.stealer; 02-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Yes , very familiar, it's just another idiot creating a new troll thread and spewing useless drivel without any nekkid pictures of his wife, girlfriend, mother, or sister. We see it all the time here.
    surviving in the city, powered by wellbutrin

Quote Originally Posted by masterofgreenbeans View Post
    Yes , very familiar, it's just another idiot creating a new troll thread and spewing useless drivel without any nekkid pictures of his wife, girlfriend, mother, or sister. We see it all the time here.
    Thanks for your help! May you find lots of sugar snow and empty pockets to dry dock your skis on.

Quote Originally Posted by ski.stealer View Post
    Got an odd one for you... This morning, 2nd run, I'm working my way through a steep glade - the top is pretty mild - mid-30's... About half way down it rolls over to 40+ degrees and tight trees lining the chute and some spotting the chute itself.

Making my first turn into the steeper stuff, I sort of have this 'waking up' feeling, mid extension, and totally freeze up. Like I forgot what I was doing for a second. To prevent basically straightlining from there, I end up hugging this small pine tree that I was planning to turn around. It only took a couple of seconds to get my head straight - untangled myself from the tree and made my way down... The rest of the run was a little wobbly, but okay. Subsequent runs seemed normal.

Does this sound familiar to any of you?

^^^Exactly

Lay off the cheeb when riding and you'll be fine.

I have had it happen before.

for a couple of runs it will seem as though my legs stop working they should be and it takes a few to get my bearings and groove back.

IT will be as if my confidence is shot for a little bit. I find it happens when i am skiing with someone/following them and I 'think' they are better than me. Then I think I need to step it up, which I don't.

Best lesson I have learned from golf to date is to always play your game.

lol @ Canada Guy, Yodaottis... I don't *think* that's what it was... I'd be okay with that though.

Ski Phan - I was skiing alone for this one... I admit I was a little high, but not so high as to think I was following someone that didn't exist. Thanks for the reply though. It was worth a shot.

petite mal?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

If you've ever seen me ski, you'd know it was grand mal, if anything.

LSD flash backs?

I hate it when that happens

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    petite mal?
    epilepsy is a fucked-up thing. People have definitely had seizures from the strobe effect of driving past bare trees in daylight in winter...can't see why skiing couldn't do the same.

My brother in law was up on his roof about a month ago clearing off snow and ice dams and he fell off, right onto his face. Broke both orbital bones, his jaw and his nose. No evidence that he tried to break his fall - didn't get his hands up, no scratched from shingles on his arms or hands - now they say he had a seizure and just fell. If it's true it's the first one he's ever had (or at least known about).

If there's a pattern to your 'waking up" moments it couldn't hurt to get it checked out.

I woke up once. Cruising down a groomer going to the other side of the mountain. I instantly woke up and couldn't remember the last 20 minutes. I had to stop and focus because it freaked me the fuck out. Yes, I smoked that day. But I had smoked for decades before that event. (I still blame the weed.)

The only thing it compares to is waking up when you're on morphine from the hospital. Just not as severe as the morphine wake ups occur every 10 minutes. Nonetheless, same immediate short-term memory loss. Weed no healthy for brainy.

LittleYellowFriend Guest
    its called a stroke

petite mal?
    You beat me to it. Someone having one will zone out for a few seconds, and might not even be aware of it. If you were moving, you might "wake up" in another spot and not remember getting there.

petite mal?
    or a TIA?

If this isn't a troll

I know right?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Do you have one of those gay ass stickers on your car? If so, I'll bet money youre an uptight passive aggressive fucktard that hates anyone different than them, yet loves to pay lip service to 'tolerance'.

People with coexist stickers are ALMOST as bad as tele skiers, although there is some overlap.

I've blacked out entire runs and thought that I was 'just thinking' about skiing and then got back on the chair and realized that I really was skiing.

I blame the weed. Though I also blame the weed for getting all paranoid and fleeing america, but that is another story. Oh, I almost blacked out the monday after 4 days of the Pemberton Music festival there a couple of years ago. I blame the techno for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I woke up once. Cruising down a groomer going to the other side of the mountain. I instantly woke up and couldn't remember the last 20 minutes. I had to stop and focus because it freaked me the fuck out. Yes, I smoked that day. But I had smoked for decades before that event. (I still blame the weed.)
    I know a guy who raced the last race of the season high and he said it was the most fun time he ever had racing

i want in

wake and bake instead

The Aliens abduct me when I'm skiing about twice each season. They adjust my implant, one of their females fuck me, then they release me to a different run

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    The Aliens abduct me when I'm skiing about twice each season. They adjust my implant, one of their females fuck me, then they release me to a different run
    Which mountain??? I want to go try this out!!!

Biggest air of my life, I woke up when I backslapped the landing, popped up on my feet, looked ahead at a slope of two feet untracked and said to myself, "fuck, ski."

Quote Originally Posted by yodaottis View Post
    ive had moments like that