Thread: Blind Skier?

Blind Skier?

So I was looking at this ski clubs masters races and they had a chart of handicaps. One said you got a 100 point handicap if you were blind. I've heard of blind people climbing Everest or K2 and stuff but a blind person racing gates?! Anyone ever heard of/seen anyone that could race gates and was blind, it sounds pretty amazing!

i saw some blind skiers at wp a while back, they were on a leash with someone helping them. seems like it would ruin the point of skiing if all you can do is kinda poke around at low speed
    Hamme one dem beers

kaya is offline Im a registered something
    I've seen blind skiers at Whistler skiing with guides and RIPPING it. They go fast- no fear. The guides were amazing. There was no leash involved, just two guides on his sides. It was badass.
    100% dundee.

Especially watch the guy at 1:10 or so.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGhbLQLlQW0"]YouTube- absolute blind skier from slovakia - worldcup 2010 abtenau.m2ts[/ame]

Wow that's crazy, their really good

I was riding the lift yesterday with a woman who was really quiet (can't blame her). I said something to the effect o f,how the vis just didn't know what it wanted to do today, perfect crystals in the air in the morn, and socked in going into the afternoon.

She replied that she really wished she could see better, but was enjoying the blower snow. I mentioned that it was all good, just stick near the treeline. Long pause. As we were getting off the lift I pointed (to 3 skiers wearing orange bibs) and said, "at least your not blind".

I bet she did just fine after that.

I once ran up to a blind lady in the streat and yelled "HEY! WOAH! LOOOK OUT!!!"

She thought it was pretty funny.

100 point handicap? Hmmm, gets me thinking...

I saw one today at Holiday Valley, she couldn't have been older then 8

You need to watch the blind skiers during the paralympics you would need the 100 point handicap and even that may not be enough.

there is a local at bridger bowl who is legally blind and hits the expert terrain. I see him all the time. pretty crazy. I scare myself out there sometimes with perfect vision

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Booter View Post
    there is a local at bridger bowl who is legally blind and hits the expert terrain. I see him all the time. pretty crazy. I scare myself out there sometimes with perfect vision
    This is no joke, he is bound to beat most to the opening of slushmans see the dude absolutely anywhere a good skier could be found...
    Seems like no matter where I go it's already Turked out...

Quote Originally Posted by ja_surf View Post
    He was pretty darn good to always amazed me how he could feel his way down through the moguls at the Jane.
    That's amazing, I have no idea how I could ever do that