Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

iPhone vs. Nexus One Fight

Well, I searched and never saw a thread quite comparing the two.

The wife and I have our cell phone contracts ending this month. Time for an upgrade. Trying to figure out which one to go with. I'm sure there's a few folks here in the same shoes.

Looks like there's a decent chance Verizon is announcing there Nexus One soon: http://www.i4u.com/article30872.html

So let's hear the comparisons...

nomensteven Guest
    Think of it as Linux (Nexus) vs Mac (iphone). Nexus users complain that the iPhone is locked down, not customizable, can't multitask etc. iPhone users ask why customizability and multitasking is important. If you are geeky and the kind of guy who spends lots of time with technology and likes to "tweak" his setup, then the Nexus one is great. If you prefer something simplistic that just works (but is limited because of this) then the iPhone is a better option. Both are great phones though.

I found the Nexus One worlds better than my Iphone 3g out of the box. I don't have experience with the 3gs, but the nexus is loads faster than the 3g which was really feeling slower and slower every day for me.

Basically most of the apps have been ported to android now, so you're good there. The last few firmware updates fixed the few minor things that I was annoyed with. Two finger zoom works now, and lots of other little fixes.

Battery life seems about the same unless you have automatic email/gchat checking on all the time which does seem to kill the life.

Google Navigate is REALLY sweet - basically a tom-tom on your phone.

The only thing that you can't do is run itunes to download music on the phone.

I highly recomend the Nexus One.

I have a Nexus One. Both are good phones. First pick which network you want to be on, then pick a supported phone. My Nexus is on T-Mobile and they have poor coverage in a lot of rural (ski) areas which makes it a bad choice for many on these forums. Really, the T-Mo coverage in Tahoe is a bummer compared to ATT or VZ. I'm planning on swapping out for Verizon's Nexus when it comes out... so if anyone wants to buy a minty T-Mo Nexus in the next few months let me know.

The thing that could tip the balance is if you already use gmail and google voice... in which case you want the Nexus for sure, the integration is seamless.

As an aside, T-Mo actually has better & faster coverage than ATT in a lot of cities, its their rural coverage that blows. VZ has the best network - so says my buddy who does satcom for a living.

Looks like the N1 is winning the fight so far. It's really a win win fight since as it has been stated before, they're both excellent phones.

I work in the medical field and would be using the med apps. Really doesn't make much difference which phone in that sense because they are both probably sporting the same apps.

I do like iTunes. I use it on my Macbook and it's a nice way of organizing my library. The iPhone is a plus b/c it can communicate with the computer. Not sure if the N1 is going to be able to interface with an Apple computer the way an iPhone can (actually, quite doubtful). iPhones are cool in the sense that you can use iRemote to run iTunes. Kind of cool. Saw my buddy's do it.

I guess it's kind of an unfair match between the two. Apple will be releasing a new iPhone some time in July most likely. That's probably going to be a nice upgrade to the hardware in order to keep up with the N1 onslaught. 5mp cam, bumped up processor, maybe HD vid? Who knows?

I'm on Verizon right now. Not totally attached to it, but it's been good for me so far. Contract is up at the end of the month. Guess we'll see. Decisions decisions.

Thanks all for your thoughts

Hugh Conway Guest
    I have a 3GS, I want a Nexus 1.

I'd disagree that the iPhone "just works" - particularly on the AT&T network

I have an iPhone and love it. I've had no experience with the Nexus 1 and I'm certainly no fanboi of Apple, but I think the interface of the iPhone is superior to the Nexus 1. It is one slick phone. AT&T has been no issue for me, though I hear it's been bad for others. I think the iPhone is going to become available on other carriers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by spaztwelve View Post
    I think the iPhone is going to become available on other carriers anyway.
    Ya, that's been up for speculation for a while. I think there's a lot of people out there holding out for that day. I can only imagine what ATT has been paying Apple for the exclusivity. It has certainly put ATT into a new category over the past few years being the only one to offer the iphone. I think it's still going to be a year or two before other carriers start offering though.

Quote Originally Posted by spaztwelve View Post
    I've had no experience with the Nexus 1 ... but I think the interface of the iPhone is superior to the Nexus 1.
    Paging Hugh Conway ...

I doubt the medical apps are out for Android yet, make sure to check.

It's all about the network to me, if AT&T can work and you want an iPhone, then cool, if not, then there are NOW other options out there
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I doubt the medical apps are out for Android yet, make sure to check.
    Nope, looks like not quite yet: http://www.epocrates.com/products/android/

But 2010 is looking like a big year for Android. I think it will take a year or two, but there will be a bigger app selection on android in the future.

Being that Verizon still hasn't announced anything about the N1, i'm kind of leaning towards an iphone at this point. My friends in the area say they're fine as far as reception goes on ATT.

As a satisfied iPhone user, who won't look at Nexus/Android cuz i like my iPhone, dammit, i would suggest trying to wait until the new phone and OS in June. With Apple making the iPad chip, rumor has it the speed will be at least 25% faster in the new iPhone, and that's using a smaller chip, and at 80%, than is in the iPad.

Plus, learning the OS will be helpful when the kickass med apps come out right about the same time as the iPad...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Being that Verizon still hasn't announced anything about the N1, i'm kind of leaning towards an iphone at this point..
    I've never even seen the N1, but I'm on Verizon w/ the Motorola Droid and I'd take the Droid over the iPhone any day, even if it's not the N1.
    Youth is wasted on the young

droid and N1 have the same OS, and based on my experience with both phones, android is a better OS for both power users and people who just use their phone: Better web browsing, gchat integration, much better gmail/calender integration, widgets on springboard, excellent notification and status, awesome built in navigation.

The hardware is way better too: twice the screen resolution, built in keys for back, settings, home, and search, replaceable battery, uses flash cards for memory, so memory is upgradeable.

obviously I'm a nexus fanboi...

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    droid and N1 have the same OS,
    Not exactly...the N1 has a different revision. 5 "home" screens as opposed to 3 and a few other "tweaks". Droid should get that version soon, but without the "active backround" and a few other nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    With Apple making the iPad chip, rumor has it the speed will be at least 25% faster in the new iPhone, and that's using a smaller chip, and at 80%, than is in the iPad.

Dont know if the next rev of iPhone is going to sport their own PA semi processor or if they are going to continue with the ARM. Apple probably dont have the assembly lines leased yet for high volume production?
    Still,personally,I think the new one is going to be about the same kind of revision as the G vs. Gs was. Nothing spectacular but still a boost.

iPersonally am a iPhone user. I work in a mac enviroment anyway.
    Used some win smartphones before and just go tired of the tinkering.
    iJust want things to work. The multitasking is an issue for some specialized users but for us normal peeps,I dont think anyone notices the lack of it. You can most of the apps like they would run simultaneously with very little lag.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

If you can't wait, I'd go with the Droid. It will be able to do almost everything the N1 can do with the soon-to-come Android 2.1 update. Plus, it has a keyboard and is already on Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Not exactly...the N1 has a different revision. 5 "home" screens as opposed to 3 and a few other "tweaks". Droid should get that version soon, but without the "active backround" and a few other nice things.
    The active background is all for show and you definitely do not need 5 home screens, especially with proper use of folders.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    If you can't wait, I'd go with the Droid. It will be able to do almost everything the N1 can do with the soon-to-come Android 2.1 update. Plus, it has a keyboard and is already on Verizon.
    Meh, the droid is too clonky for me. Saw a buddy's. Def don't care for the typepad, although it's a big deal for some peeps.

I def like that the N1 has a replaceable battery. I've heard from a few folks that have had their iphone batteries go out. Any experience with any of you dudes having the battery go out?

forgot to mention: I like to be able to listen to pandora while I use the web/apps/ect
    multitasking rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    forgot to mention: I like to be able to listen to pandora while I use the web/apps/ect
    multitasking rocks.
    Ding!
    Iphoner say its not big deal, because they don't realize what its like with little things like this.

I'm a fan of my droid

iPhone is great but AT&T kills it.. try the nexus 1

EDIT: I do have an iPhone currently and love it, but the at&t network does suck.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Ding!
    Iphoner say its not big deal, because they don't realize what its like with little things like this.
    This is the Apple product pathology of paying more for less and being happy about it, yes.

Your phone is starting to fuck up after 6 months because of battery use? Tough shit! Send it to us to pay too much to have it replaced!

You want to use something we don't like? Tough shit! Jailbreak it and be banned from updates!

Of course if you think the droid is "clunky" you sound like a perfect looks above all Applelyte

iPhone's are easy. That's an important trait in gadgets and women.

Don't miss pandora, cuz i have more tunes/podcasts/etc than i'll ever listen to, and you CAN multi-task with the iPod. Yes, that's two apps at one fkn time. Mark it bitches!

Battery...i've got 9 months or so of med/heavy use, no issue, have never, yet, used a full charge in a day. But applecare is the key there- $69, covers the second year for both a battery and free fedex phone swap for all repairs. Again, easy.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's