Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

No Lindsey Vonn at Whistler?!?!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/353271..._to_vancouver/

FUCK!

Lindsey Vonn’s quest for five Alpine skiing medals may be in serious jeopardy because of a serious shin injury suffered a week ago in training, the skier revealed Tuesday.

Vonn has had fluid drained from the deep bruise, which she has been told will take “a couple of weeks” to completely heal.

“It’s essentially a deep muscle bruise, so I have a contusion. So the muscle is bleeding and it's really deep inside the muscle,” the World Cup champion told TODAY’s Matt Lauer after arriving in Vancouver Tuesday.

‘Excruciatingly painful’
    “When I tried my boot on, I was just standing there in the hotel room barely flexing forward, and it was excruciatingly painful. And I've got to try to ski downhill at 75, 80 miles an hour with a lot of forces pushed up against my shin,” Vonn said. “I don't know honestly if I'll be able to do it.”

The injury could be a crushing blow to the 25-year-old Vonn, who was the best female skier in the world in both 2008 and 2009. Considered the best American female skier ever, she seemed a lock for multiple gold medals and a threat to win all five of her events.

Until the injury, Vonn had been in top form and was coming off a win in her final race before the Olympics.

“I won the last World Cup race. I felt perfectly healthy, I was happy, I was coming in with confidence, and now I have another injury,” she told Lauer. “I fought through injuries before and I'm no stranger to that, but it's going be really hard. I just have to try to stay positive and do the best I can, because that's all I can do.”

Lauer observed that Vonn comes to the Vancouver Games carrying a lot of pressure. “This has to multiply that pressure,” he said.

“Definitely,” she said. “That's why I wanted to tell you about it ... I at least want people to know what's going on, and if I don't perform well, why that is. But I can guarantee you that I'm going to do everything I can to be as ready as I can with this injury and still try to ski well.”

Playing it by ear
    The first training run at Whistler Mountain for the first women’s event, the super combined, is Thursday and the race is Sunday. The women’s downhill, the premier alpine skiing event, is Wednesday, Feb. 17 with the Super-G on Saturday, Feb. 20. The giant slalom is Feb. 24 and the final event, the slalom, is Feb. 26.

Four years ago in Torino, Vonn’s medal hopes were dashed when she suffered a horrific crash in a training run for the downhill. She was evacuated by helicopter to a hospital, where she was diagnosed with a hip injury. Despite the damage and the pain, she entered the race two days later, finishing eighth.

Vonn has a history of coming back from injuries, but she looked concerned as she talked to Lauer about this one. “I’m a lot less sure about this injury than I have been in the past,” she said.

She said she feels fine until she puts a boot on and attempts to ski. Vonn said she will show up for the first training run Thursday and see how she feels. Under anti-doping rules, she can take pain killers but is not allowed to get a numbing injection into the injury.

“I feel OK now, but anytime I'm in my boot it’s painful, so I don't know. I've got to wait until the first training run on Thursday. I'm going to go up there, I'm going to put my skis on and see how it feels,” Vonn told Lauer.

“I have to play it by ear and see how it feels and take it day to day and just keep doing therapy and hope it gets better.”
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

If she needs to be in no pain for just a few race runs, that's nothing some drugs won't fix. A couple shots of jager, a join, some novacaine - pick your poison.

There's so much hype surrounding her there's no way she won't race because of a painful bruise.

si cover curse strikes again

SI Jinx strikes again?

edit: beat me to it

that blows! she is limited in what she can do to mask the pain w/ all the doping rules.

the world cup is more important anyway...

Bummer. Her FaceBook post a couple of days ago said how excited she was to be getting on a plane and ready for Vonn-couver.

Interesting that link is now a 404 file not found. maybe that wasnt supposed to leak?

Vonn's bruised shin could limit Olympic training
    Last Updated: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 | 9:55 AM ET Comments0Recommend0
    The Associated Press
    Lindsey Vonn celebrates after winning the Super G World Cup on Jan. 31, 2010, in Saint Moritz. Lindsey Vonn celebrates after winning the Super G World Cup on Jan. 31, 2010, in Saint Moritz. (Damien Meyer/Getty Images)

Lindsey Vonn says she bruised her right shin last week and could skip some training runs at the Olympics but says it won't keep her from competing.

The U.S. skiing star has been staying out of her ski boots since injuring herself during a slalom training run in Austria.

Vonn told NBC in an interview that aired Wednesday: "I for sure will be racing. I'm going to push through it."

The two-time overall World Cup champion is considered a multiple-medal threat at the Vancouver Olympics, which open Friday.

The first women's alpine race is the super-combined on Sunday. The first official practice session for women is Thursday.

In an email, U.S. Ski Team spokesman Tom Kelly said: "Hopefully this will not be a problem for her."

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/alpineski...vonn-shin.html

vibes to Lindsey
    She should contact Andy Mill who suffered a similar shin bruise on a downhill training run during the 1976 Innsbruck Olympics when he went off course into trees and miraculously survived.

I guess he stuck his leg in a hole in the snow at the start area of the Hahnenkahm and ended up taking 4th.
    Aggressive in my own mind

thats a nasty injury when you can't get a cortisone shot

She'll race. Come on, this is the Olympics!

Quote Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
    thats a nasty injury when you can't get a cortisone shot
    are they not allowed to in competition?
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

^^ No cortisone per anti doping rules as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

corticosteroid injections are currently on the wada prohibited list, though topical application is acceptable with a doctor's note.

She's mind-fucking the competition.

Fuck. Hope she recovers super-humanly quickly. Even if she has to miss the Super Combined or something, hopefully she's back for the Downhill and Super G. I was really looking forward to seeing her race.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    What I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

nothing a little weed cant handle

edit: oh wait they drug test

I just coughed up a hairball...
    Helloooooooooo Kitty!

Minnesota women are tough, they may have pussy's but are not pussy's.
    Go Lindsey, Go Kaylin.....

man I hope she can recover in time! We need you Linds!!!

I hope so, this would be a big bummer, was getting stoked to see her crush the competition

Quote Originally Posted by F.D.V. View Post
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/353271..._to_vancouver/

“Definitely,” she said. “That's why I wanted to tell you about it ... I at least want people to know what's going on, and if I don't perform well, why that is. But I can guarantee you that I'm going to do everything I can to be as ready as I can with this injury and still try to ski well.”
    A little cocky?
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

Hugh Conway Guest
    While 10,000 maggots are fucking her in their minds.