Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Enduro DH/Super D Clusterfk

So I'm fully addicted to the whole Enduro DH / long Super D format after last year's racing season. Between the Wolf 6-Hour Enduro DH and the Moab Ho-Down Super D (and a couple other Super Ds I did last year), I'm hooked. Lots of media is really supportive of these formats, especially Decline, but it hasn't quite caught on big yet. Which is OK - I kinda like the "everyman" grassroots races. And one cool thing is that there are all kinds of interpretations - from climbing to the top of multiple, timed downhillish sections to endurance DH lift-assisted racing, to time-trial Super Ds.

Unfortunately one big problem of the "grassrootedness" is that planning is poor. I just found out that no less than THREE of the west's best events are scheduled for the same exact weekend:
    Ashland 12-mile Super D (Ashland, OR)
    Wolf Mtn 6-Hour Enduro DH (Wolf Creek, UT)
    Fears, Tears, and Beers Enduro DH (Ely, NV)

Granted none of these are smack on top of each other - the last two are within 3 hours of each other though. It just kills me to see a fledgling discipline essentially strangling itself by creating competition between some of its best events. /end rant.
    Last edited by Particle; 02-09-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

call em up and tell them to change that shit

I want to race Super D this year. It sounds like a blast.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Skipig25 View Post
    call em up and tell them to change that shit
    Done... no one seems too receptive to moving but at least the flag has been raised.

We can move the Wolf Mt enduro race, maybe to a time in July. I'm sure if a few of us approached Ron with a real plan, we could do it. We have a very good "in" with Wolf Mt in Dave B. as well. Let's talk this weekend and maybe call Ron. If we moved it, will you go to Ashland with us???
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Particle, do you know of any websites that have a list of super d/enduro DH races? Or do you know of the names of any that are within 6 hours drive of Salt Lake? I'd like to get into it this summer. Any info would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Kirkwood has an enduro super D scheduled for Sept too if that isn't on your radar. I think Bigfoot is putting it on. Tyrone prolly has more info on the trails than I.

Thinking about Ashland...

Quote Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
    Kirkwood has an enduro super D scheduled for Sept too if that isn't on your radar. I think Bigfoot is putting it on. Tyrone prolly has more info on the trails than I.

Thinking about Ashland...
    ha..you took the words outta my mouth. Indeed, Kirkwood this year has a full slate of mountain bike races this year after dipping their toe into it last year with an 8-hour XC.

This year there will be two separate 8-hour XC races, a 24-hour XC, a 6-hour lift accessed Enduro DH (but at the start, everyone has to climb to the top to separate the field out...that is the rumor at the moment anyway), a 24-hour XC race, and festival weekend that has a regular Super D and a bunch other cool stuff in it as well.

The only details that are available now are at www.teambigfoot.net

I will more than likely be doing some of these. The 6-hour Enduro DH thing should be great.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Altagirl View Post
    We can move the Wolf Mt enduro race, maybe to a time in July. I'm sure if a few of us approached Ron with a real plan, we could do it. We have a very good "in" with Wolf Mt in Dave B. as well. Let's talk this weekend and maybe call Ron. If we moved it, will you go to Ashland with us???
    Cool, let's gitrdun! Sounds like a plan this weekend.

Would love to do Ashland if we can move Wolf, it's just going to be really hard to take time off work to race. Especially considering I have to take some time off the next weekend for a CO wedding anyway

monkey, no central sites that I'm aware of. Utah DH Series has a few Super D's, check out Go-Ride's site for that. sg, thanks for the kwood heads-up, didn't know about that one. I also read that the Fluidride Series is adding some endurance DH/Super Ds to their schedule. Outside the 6-hour from UT range though. Also check Mountain States Cup...more like 7-8 hours for most of those from SLC.

Sick thanks TS! Stoked to see another 6-hour event on the calendar, that's definitely within range for me. A climb to sort it out is an interesting idea. Less logistics than Wolf's timed DH qualifier on the previous day. Although that unfortunately gives the advantage to the XC guys.

AG's going to Ashland?

Not that far a drive from Vancouver...

Hooray Super D!

I'm going to do Ashland as well. Bunch of Seattle dudes are going down then hitting a couple ride spots on the way back home. Pretty excited about it.

And I agree, it's an interesting format that seems more approachable than full blown DH. Most people have a trail bike for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Although that unfortunately gives the advantage to the XC guys.
    that's what I'm lookin forward to!
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Hooray Super D!

I'm going to do Ashland as well. Bunch of Seattle dudes are going down then hitting a couple ride spots on the way back home. Pretty excited about it.

And I agree, it's an interesting format that seems more approachable than full blown DH. Most people have a trail bike for starters.
    hmmmmmmmmmmm...

How does this whole Cat1, and Cat2 thing work in yer USofA's?

I'm not exactly sure. You probably need to race Pro class regardless. Show Krispy and Mr. AG how to Super D it shore style : )

Lemmie know if you are interested in getting in with the Seattle dudes. Be ready to party, it's a fun bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    hmmmmmmmmmmm...

How does this whole Cat1, and Cat2 thing work in yer USofA's?
    In Idaho, you have to race Cat 2 unless you petition USA Cycling for an upgrade to Cat 1 with your race results. Utah might be the same but someone more in the know can comment.

I was hoping to make Ashland but was going to the Wolf race as it's a little closer. If the dates change, maybe both....

You Utards are welcome to halfway stop and crash at my place in Boise on the way through if need be.

I'm also hoping to do the Ashland Super D this year. I've only ridden the course once, but it's definitely trail/AM bike terrain--some freeway-speed fireroad and lots of smooth, flowy singletrack (with less tech than DV, not the DV is all that techy).

Thanks particle. I think I may try to do wolf creek this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    In Idaho, you have to race Cat 2 unless you petition USA Cycling for an upgrade to Cat 1 with your race results. Utah might be the same but someone more in the know can comment.

I was hoping to make Ashland but was going to the Wolf race as it's a little closer. If the dates change, maybe both....

You Utards are welcome to halfway stop and crash at my place in Boise on the way through if need be.
    I could put together a great pictorial petition. Put me in Pro dammit.

When I saw the title I thought this was going to be about the mass starts.

I may be giving Super Dizzle a try this summer. Shorter, cheaper weekends than DH racing are appealing.

The Wolf Creek D is one race I could do this year. If you can get it changed please do it on a weekend that I'm not working.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    When I saw the title I thought this was going to be about the mass starts.
    Yeah, I don't think I'd even bother trying one of those mass start things, sounds like a good way to end my season...

how does the enduro super d 6 hour shizzle work?

flow, i was thinking of looking into the winter park super d series, any opinions on that series, I did read somewhere they have a pretty decent climb in it and it might not be that tech, or at least the tech i am interested in looking at. I definitely want to do more super d in the future, but time away from the family is an issue.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Considering the Ashland race doesn't have an old and slow class, I don't have to worry about choosing which race I might go to.

Lucky me.

Race Categories

Male:

Pro Men - Open

Cat 1 JR Men 13-18
    Cat 1 Men 19-29
    Cat 1 Men 30-39
    Cat 1 Men 40+

(Cat 1 - Formerly known as Expert)

Hardtail Men (open)

Cat 2 Men 13-18
    Cat 2 Men 19-29
    Cat 2 Men 30-39
    Cat 2 Men 40+

(Cat 2 - Formerly known as Sport)
    Female

Pro Women (open)
    Cat 1 Women (open)
    Cat 2 Women 34 & Under
    Cat 2 Women 35+

(Cat 1 - Formerly known as Expert)
    (Cat 2 - Formerly known as Sport)

Please note: We reserve the right to combine classes of 5 or less.
    If Ron will reschedule the Wolf Creek race, Ely might be a possibility.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Mt Ashland Super D bump, just signed up and checking to see who else is heading to Oregon for the race.

I really gotta be more dedicated to riding my bike to and from work to get my base miles up.