Knee exoskeleton

Hey,
    So I saw a pair of those knee exoskeleton braces... don't really know much more about them, i think they're around $350. Anyway, can anyone give me some more info about what i'm looking for?

A link would help, as well as some description of why you're interested. Also suggest a search here and in the sports medicine lit. It sounds like some kind of preventative brace, although I've also seen the term used for setups that recycle energy (supposedly) while also stabilizing the joints.

Some basics as I understand them about braces per se: Real braces (not drug store versions) help stabilize an already compromised knee. So you can ski missing some hardware. They may or may not prevent further injury in a fall; controversial. They probably slow the development in a compromised knee of inevitable degenerative conditions like osteoarthritis.

Braces do not prevent injuries to a healthy knee with normal ligaments. They do not save energy. And unless you get one with a detailed prescription from a knee doc, and get a fitting from an experienced provider (this involves molds of your leg) you're just wasting your money anyway. A real rig that competitive skiers use starts at over 1K.

I do not know of much literature on the quasi-robotic frames to store/recycle power. The stuff I've seen suggests it's fairly experimental, not much validation in real world conditions. And not ready for prime time. If that's what you mean, sounds like somebody is trying to cash in on bioengineering research, reads about the basic idea and makes some half ass version to sell to folks who saw Avatar 12 times. Happens all the time.
    Last edited by Beyond; 02-09-2010 at 01:54 AM.

asterisk

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    This also smells like a bad spam attempt...... let's get them talking about our new, dysfunctional product by pretending to be someone who saw one and thought it was cool.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Asterisk is pretty close to what I was looking at, Does anyone know of any other products simaler to what Asterisk makes?

Stay far away from the EVS Carbon braces... They sound good at first, but then you use them, and then you hate them.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO