Thread: Bullmastiffs?

Bullmastiffs?

Been about 6 months since my last doggy passed and I've been starting to do some leg work on finding a new 4 legged friend. I dig how focused on their people bullmastiffs are as well as how laid back they are. Plus there is a local breeder here that seems super nice and has come highly recommended from the 2 people I know that are into showing dogs up here.

So does anyone have any firsthand experience with bullmastiffs? I've read through all the AKC breed pedigree info, more interested in how much they actually drool and how much of a hassle is it to clean up, ease of training, and what the exercise limit is for these guys...I would not be taking it skiing or running with me, just lots of hiking, like 3-4 day trips, 9-12 miles a day.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

The pound has dogs.

Penis issues?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

yup. totally compensating.

I dig large working dogs, thats what I grew up around and all I've ever had. cat sized dogs and anything else under 50-60 lbs dont do much for me.

advres Guest
    Don't listen to the rescue dog only haters. Ask anyone who gives you shit about getting a breed dog if they plan on adopting a needy child or having their own.

If you want to rescue an animal, awesome! But if you want to buy from a breeder, that's cool too.

My buddy had one when we were younger. Good dogs. Theirs was well trained, but the mom trained horses as well, so she was pretty good with animals. I don't specifically remember drool being a major issue, but I only saw him once in a while after school when I went over to buddys house when I was like 10, so don't quote me on that. I do remember him being great with kids though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

A girl I was seeing had one, incredibly sweet dog. Very loving and people oriented. She had some slobber, but nothing too serious. She was also fed raw, which may have made a difference. The dog was solid muscle, but very friendly demeanor and a couch potato at heart. Her owner spent an incredible amount of time working with her and she was a pretty smart / very well trained dog. I think proper training is incredibly important with larger breeds / those that are looked at as if they're dangerous.

As far as hiking: She sprained an ankle getting off the bed. She lumbered more than "ran" but was unstoppable like a freighttrain when she final got to top speed. She also had chronic issues with her paws. I guess they have an issue with the fur between their toes causing abscesses. Something to think about / ask the breeder about.

Tell rideit that his wife didn't think so

First year out of college got married, started working, bought a house along with a female Rottweiler and female Bullmastiff.

This breed is a very strong physically and strong minded (the bull in bullmastiff definitely comes from its bulldog heritage).

Drool is an issue but not as significant as a Newfoundland or a Saint Bernard would typically be and neither is shedding.

Our dog was definitely a couch potato inside but loved to hike. This dog was as sweet as any dog I have known to people. At about two years of age she got in a fight with the Rottweiler she had grown up with. The rot would stop fighting if I yelled but bully was not going to stop. She was totally oblivious to me no matter what I did. I still do not know how I got them apart.

After the fight she became totally dog aggressive and we could never let her off leash if there was a chance of another dog being around. We ended up selling her to some people that knew what they were getting and where she would be the only dog in the home.

We were young people and inexperienced trainers at the time but had put a lot of effort into training and socialization. I did really like our dog and the breed but would not get another bully unless I had a lot of time to train, socialize and only wanted one dog.

I would say the breed could hold up to the type of activity you are talking about for 3-4 yrs tops.

^ that is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. thanks.

Check out South African Boerboel's. More athletic with less piss in the gene pool as far as hips go. Look in the protection dog thread for my post.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Check out South African Boerboel's. More athletic with less piss in the gene pool as far as hips go. Look in the protection dog thread for my post.
    after our 10yr old Rottie passed away in Sept, we'd thought about getting more rottie pups from a breeder, and we might still in the future. Just love the big lugs but we'd always loved mastiffs - well, we got pretty lucky right before XMAS when we found in the shelter what they called a "Boxer/Mastiff" mix - he actually looks a LOT like truth's boerboel -

since he's pretty young (7-8mos now), and he was a skinny stray at 62# - hard telling how big he'll actually get. (got him up near 70lbs finally)

but, he's definitely exhibiting traits of a laid back mastiff, which is a nice balance to the mischievous puppyhood, but he's got the athleticism of the boxer too -took him skijoring the other day and he rocked it, and he will probably make a good trail dog for longer being hopefully a little smaller and w/ good hips.

like someone said, that kind of trail use on a big dog like that might be kind of limited.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    after our 10yr old Rottie passed away in Sept, we'd thought about getting more rottie pups from a breeder, and we might still in the future. Just love the big lugs but we'd always loved mastiffs - well, we got pretty lucky right before XMAS when we found in the shelter what they called a "Boxer/Mastiff" mix - he actually looks a LOT like truth's boerboel -

since he's pretty young (7-8mos now), and he was a skinny stray at 62# - hard telling how big he'll actually get. (got him up near 70lbs finally)

but, he's definitely exhibiting traits of a laid back mastiff, which is a nice balance to the mischievous puppyhood, but he's got the athleticism of the boxer too -took him skijoring the other day and he rocked it, and he will probably make a good trail dog for longer being hopefully a little smaller and w/ good hips.

like someone said, that kind of trail use on a big dog like that might be kind of limited.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Like Truth said, there are many other Bully Breed dogs that are way more athletic. A true English BullDogge is an incredibly athletic dog. Check out this website: www.molosserworld.com(seems to be having trouble right now). This is the most comprehensive breed list I have ever seen of Molosser breed dogs.

My buddy has a Bull Mastiff- athletic is not a description I would use for the breed. I have Boston Terriers. When they get tired of walking (the push face gets them much less cool air), they find shade and lay down. Doesn't matter if we are in the yard playing, or running on the sidewalk. They are tired, they find shade and drop. Now, I can drag my 22 lb dog out of the shade and carry him. What would you do with a 100 lb dog with the same stubborn mentality? Now, imagine that attitude on a 3 day hike. These are not endurance dogs. They are protection and fighting bred dogs.

Good luck. I love bully breed dogs. All I have ever owned.

Not a dog I would get as a hiking dog. Be real aware of ortho problems; try to look back a few generations.

They fit in the same category I put rotties....some can be great dogs, but way too many are real assholes with bad temperaments. I don't seen too many bullies, but enough to have a good idea. I see looks of mastiffs, and they tend to have better personalities, but still a significant percent have behavior problems. I only have one Boerboel in my practice, but it is a real piece of shit, but with an N of one I can't really comment, but other vets who see a few have are not impressed.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I know bullmastiffs tend to have lots of health issues and a fairly short life expectancy. I'd really check into the bloodlines of any pup you're looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Don't listen to the rescue dog only haters. Ask anyone who gives you shit about getting a breed dog if they plan on adopting a needy child or having their own.

If you want to rescue an animal, awesome! But if you want to buy from a breeder, that's cool too.

aha! I am not having kids because there are too many already!!

And--ditto on the pound pup!
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I only have one Boerboel in my practice, but it is a real piece of shit, but with an N of one I can't really comment, but other vets who see a few have are not impressed.
    My vet, dog day care etc...all love Tonka. I'm lucky I can get them to give him back to me when I come to pick him up. When we walk into the vet the girls can't get him into the back fast enough to hang out. He just prances on in flirting with one hottie tech after another . I have real issues with vets calling a breed ill tempered. A dog is what you make it. You have shitty clients and their dogs reflect that. Like I said before these breeds are not to be trifled with. They are no more ill tempered than any other breed, it's just that their size and power make what can be overlooked in a Chihuahua a potentially lethal mess in 150# dog. Too many people buy them for ego and image rather than a love of the breed. Fuck those people.