ruptured peroneal brevis and ankle reconstruction

Hey -

I have a completely ruptured peroneal brevis tendon. I got an MRI, and it was obvious. The peroneal tendons attach to the calf muscles, and run down around the back and under the ankle bone. The peroneal brevis attaches to the edge of the foot (the 5th metatarsal), while the peroneal longus attaches under the foot, near the ball.

I tore the tendon back in October. Had surgery scheduled for January, but I couldn't handle missing the ski season in a cast, so I delayed the surgery until March, so I could live it up in the snow for a bit. So the surgery's coming up in about a month.

Thing is - since 4 months have gone by, the ankle is doing quite well. I can run on it a bit now, walk without a brace as much as I like, and nordic skiing is a cinch. I have little pain, good flexibility, and pretty good strength. I do "baby" it, and stop the minute it gives me discomfort.

The orthopedic surgeon said that he would attach the remaining stump of the peroneal brevis tendon to the peroneal longus, and then take the grasilis tendon from my hamstring, and use that to do a complete ankle reconstruction of the ligaments in the ankle joint.

So ... my question is ... What Should I Do?

Since I'm doing so well, I'm wondering if I could just continue to heal, let the stump of the p.b. tendon scar-tissue attach to whatever is around it, and continue my activities?

Or should I have them do the tendon surgery, and the ankle reconstruction?

His reasoning was that I have had frequent ankle sprains, and the root problem is the ankle flexibility. So he would want to address that with the reconstruction. He says that just operating on the tendons doesn't address the underlying cause.

I find it hard to find information on this stuff - especially what the long-term prospects are.

Would love any comments you guys have, or to hear about your own experiences. Oh, I'm 32, and expect to be highly active for the next 40-50 years.

Seems like if you're doing ok and having fun, a $20,000 surgery that'll leave you on your ass for months is a questionable course of action.

I have no personal experience with your problem. My brother is a gymnast and has broken and torn up his ankles and they take a long time to heal.

Good luck. Hopefully someone who knows something can give you real advice.

how did you rupture it?
    I know this tendon controls inversion (i think) which could be hard on you if you run, rolling the ankle ect.
    But if it aint broke, i would not elect to have surgery?

I thought the peroneal was the area between your junk and your taint. I was amazed that you had injured it.

I am disapointed that this is not the case, but wish you best of luck anyways.

Skideeppow -
    I had had a bunch of minor sprains in a row. I decided I wanted to play gaelic football, soccer, and some softball, and I think my body just wasn't ready for it. I then cut all the field sports out of my regiment, but I thought running was still safe because there is no maneuvering about. I was going running on a dirt trail, pushing myself to keep up with my running buddies, when I stepped a little funny on a stone and heard the famous "pop," and hobbled home.

Yes, the p. brevis tendon helps to control inversion.

I'm trying to make the decision based on long-term ideas. Like, maybe I'll be much happier in the long run if I suck it up and get this fixed now? I guess it's a big deal to completely rupture a tendon.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater View Post
    I thought the peroneal was the area between your junk and your taint. I was amazed that you had injured it.

Classic.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater View Post

FWIW thats the perineum.

OP- Thats a tough call. you'd have to work it pretty good to get back to enough stability to really get back into action. Sports involving cutting would be tough, including random volleyball games at cookouts etc.

Does the surgeon predict a return to normal function or still limitations on activity?