Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    All it wanted was a saucer of warm milk. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    We usually have my aunt's German Shepard with us when we are up at the cabin too. She's usually too busy chasing chipmunks to notice anything though.

I think you'd be surprised. That story posted about the boy and the mtn lion....dogs are wicked smaaat

If the cat is that comfortable on a deck, you are in immediate danger.

We had a male cat like that cruising our neighborhood a couple of winters ago, and everybody thought it was beautiful until it ate the neighbors springer spaniel in broad daylight, right in front of three people. It then paced in front of their house when it watched them take refuge inside.

Tale of the tape; Dog=35lbs vs. Cat=185 lbs, and it was a tragic ending for both.

Only good news is that teenage boys are now afraid to walk the neighborhood at night and that brings this dad of two daughters a little bit of peace..

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Maybe the sheep could get in the action too. After all, who doesn't like a little pussy now and then?

ba dum dssh

But seriously, folks, those Anatolian Shepherds (we were low-class, I guess, we always called them "Turkish sheep dogs") are truly badass animals. There are wolves and bears and all kinds of shit that likes to eat sheep in the Turkish highlands and those dogs just handle it. They can be vicious with new people too if not thoroughly trained (they're naturally extremely protective of their owners and their family and known friends), and are definitely not a dog for the weak at heart.
    My cousins up in Central Wyoming are ranchers and have great pyrenees to live with the sheep.

Yes, I come from a Wyoming family that includes sheep ranchers. Fuel to the fire.

Anyway, these pyrenees are amazing. They don't deal with cats very often, but are constantly at war with coyotes. My cousin explained to me how they counter each other (coyotes are extremely intelligent as well). The coyotes make a perimeter around the flock and use vocals to communicate and mark the location of the pyrenees. They try to find openings in the virtual perimeter that the pyrenees patrol, so then the pyrenees go to the center of the flock like camouflage when an attack is on and then shoot out after the coyotes when they approach. It is a constant chess match between the two groups. My cousin goes out and watches all of this unfold with night vision, he says it is truly amazing to see.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    They aren't ghosts. I know plenty of people who have been stalked and wished they had a gun at the time, and now do carry in the woods.
    In 2000 I slept next to the truck on a dozer line on the Vermejo Park ranch and had bigass paw prints all over the moon dust in the morning. That was a weird feeling.

Tangent: is there anything "more wyoming" than watching sheep with night vision?

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    My cousins up in Central Wyoming are ranchers and have great pyrenees to live with the sheep.

Anyway, these pyrenees are amazing.
    I was going to mention these dogs too. Amazing livestock (and ppl) protectors. I have a friend who just moved to the middle of nowhere in North Central Washington and he picked up one to protect his kids and sheep from bears and other menacing beasts of the woods.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

We are studying animal populations, adaptation, natural selection and I showed my classes the photos of the mountain lion. They were amazed!

We talked about how animals are coming closer to human habitats, what are the ramifications, and what kind of genetic adaptations might help these critters survive better (i.e., inherited trait of more cautious nature might actually help the mt lions survive over their more aggressive counterparts as humans will shoot them less) under these new circumstances.

It made for some very cool discussions.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    We are studying animal populations, adaptation, natural selection and I showed my classes the photos of the mountain lion. They were amazed!

We talked about how animals are coming closer to human habitats,
    Or are we coming closer (encroaching on) to their habitats?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

^^ Bingo !!
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Beautiful animal though you should instruct the property owners to dissuade that particular cat from hanging out. Cats are creatures of habit and if he decides the deck is a cool place to hang out your going to be seeing him alot more especially at dusk which would be particularly dangerous.

Big cats are on the rise in N.A., with the explosion in wild pig populations it only a matter of time before they figure out there is an all you can eat pork buffet going on in the south.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Easy solution= frozen paintball gun for behavior modification. Added benefit is the rainbow trimmed pussy.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Tangent: is there anything "more wyoming" than watching sheep with night vision?

"how YOU doin'?"
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

yea....If the rumors I have heard about where this cabin is at are correct. I think I am done solo headlamp skiing for a while..... I like the picture of the cat on the deck. I can just see it thinkin "yea let your dog out please. I can wait a bit" Cool photos, 72 you have a location of where the cabin is at?

Luke, I am pretty sure this was lower mountain, closer to town... off of Circle Drive I think. My family cabin is all the way at the top, not far from Hogadon.

MORE PHOTOS...

These were taken a few weeks ago up in Sheridan, Wyoming. These photos were taken from THE GOLF COURSE.

They counted 5 cats.

"Welcome to Wyoming"

It's funny because it's such a beautiful animal yet could completely fuck you up if you try to be friendly.

I've been stalked by a cat before and I was very skeerd, and I was carrying.

awww...who's a pretty kitty....who's a pretty kitty
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

My old place on the West side of Colorado springs had occasional kitty visitors. I never saw one myself and I am totally fine with that. But My neighhbor had seen one at the bottom of the driveway. My house bordered the Garden of the Gods so there was plenty of open space. Essentially we were on National Forest.

now we are on the NW side of Colorado springs and these guys were hanging out at about 2PM one afternoon

Holy shit that is some kinda rough.
    I'm sorry we only allow foursomes on our course.
    Tiger? No he's not playing today.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    In 2000 I slept next to the truck on a dozer line on the Vermejo Park ranch and had bigass paw prints all over the moon dust in the morning. That was a weird feeling.
    I've had this happen too, with bears as well.

Occasionally they show up in the city park on the edge of town here. Usually in the spring.

I probably wouldn't have, but I know quite a few people who wouldn't have even blinked at shooting that thing out the window. If that cat keeps hanging out, it will probably happen sooner or later.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

four lion attacks on dogs just South of Bellevue (central Idaho) this last week.
    Makes me think about letting my daughter walk the 100 yards to school though.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Those are some great pictures.

If it eats an adult, well then thats nature. But if you have kids, get a sheepdog on the payroll.

Come out to play? wicked