Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Hey...some of us were busy squeezing seven quick ones out!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Saw a cat about 2 miles away from cabin crossing road last summer and there have been sightings on our road and a couple of deer and elk kills that were supposed to be lion.

One night by the camp fire when still truck camping, dog was staring across clearing making a low growl. No barking but the the hair was sticking straight up on his back and his body was totally ridgid for about 5 minutes. Pretty sure it was a cat but could have been a bear.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

We usually have my aunt's German Shepard with us when we are up at the cabin too. She's usually too busy chasing chipmunks to notice anything though.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

the person who took the pics should of had a gun instead of a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by noparking View Post
    the person who took the pics should of had a gun instead of a camera.
    You ignorant fuck.
    "She loved snow...That was the simple objective, being airborne, up longer, higher, more casually and with more fuckoff elegance than anyone else...Such endeavours require a kind of egotism, a near autistic narrowness. Everything conspires against you, the habits of physics, the impulse to flee and you're weighted down by every dollop of commonsense ever dished up. Everyone will tell you your goal is impossible, pointless, stupid, wasteful. This idiot resolve is all you have."
    -Tim Winton

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    The cat's probably wondering what the fuck's up with that 1970s decor.
    thats funny!
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_ripper View Post
    You ignorant fuck.
    +++++++1
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

Those are really amazing pictures, and it looks like a pretty healthy cat.

But, that is probably not a good sign for you or the cougar that it is that comfortable near humans. They usually don't want anything to do with people, and only get near them when they are desperate (such as late last summer when they were everywhere in Squamish, picking off dogs and even attacking a child). Seems like strange behaviour that it would just chill there on the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_ripper View Post
    You ignorant fuck.
    Not really. Just shows he knows the regs. as far as the LEGAL hunting season goes. Don't you have a kangaroo to fuck?

re: daughters outdoors in the interface.

I think the best thing you can do is to maintain a smart, alert livestock-type dog. I was more concerned with bears, I think mostly because we just saw more of them...regardless I think the strategy would be roughly the same: sheep dog with the kids when they're outside + sheep dog learns to take a lap when you get home.

When I was on a fire in the mountains north of pinedale, there were these sheep dogs out there alone with the sheep, and they were gigantic burly-ass fast motherfuckers.
    Like this only bigger, meaner and dirtier...

I was impressed, to see them out there alone (with their sheep) and see their size and mobility...they were formidable.

Get one of these - Anatolian Shepherd:

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Hugh Conway Guest
    Husky/Malamute. Extremely dedicated and loyal to their owners... and can fuck shit up.

I fourteenth the "must have dog" recommendation.

Those pictures are awesome but if your family enjoys wildlife sightings they should haze the shit out of that cat. Any mountain lion that comfortable around people is going to end up dead sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 02-04-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    And carefully slide your .45 ACP out and squeeze 7 quick ones. If I had one of these around I dont think I would use my scary face defense as a last resort.
    Naw, just get Leroy Jenkins to patrol the property on his mountain bike and 9MM
    See [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162845"]Mountain lion sighting at White Ranch Open Space - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame] post 12 et seq.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Naw, just get Leroy Jenkins to patrol the property on his mountain bike and 9MM
    See Mountain lion sighting at White Ranch Open Space - Teton Gravity Research Forums post 12 et seq.
    And booner to find the 9mm when the snow melts

Quote Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
    you're on their property
    I swear to God I hate that fucking argument/phrase. Has to be the gayest thing to say in that instance. If that is my house/deck I'm shooting the piss out of that thing and having it stuffed riding a trike. Tell people I caught it and trained it to do that.

You live in what used to be Indian country. I know alot of people pissed off that you're there. If they scalp your white ass I'm going to use that phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I fourteenth the "must have dog" recommendation.

Those pictures are awesome but if your family enjoys wildlife sightings they should haze the shit out of that cat. Any mountain lion that comfortable around people is going to end up dead sooner rather than later.
    This was not at my family's place. Our cabin is in the same general area, but higher up the mountain. These were taken by a family friend.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Wow. Thats really close. Such a beautiful animal.

Btw, to the person ready to blow the animal away with 7 quick ones, you are such an artard.

1. If your not in immediate danger, meaning the animal doesnt look like it will attack you cause of your artard-ness, and its doing its shit, follow dumps advice.

2. If the cat is actually looking for a meal, it will stalk you. It wont want you to know its there and will make sure of that. And when its ready to pounce and rip your intestines out for lunch it will do so when your not ready, expecting, or aware of it. It will hit you and you will be non the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    1. If your not in immediate danger,
    2. If the cat is actually looking for a meal, it will stalk you.
    Its pretty funny that these are your two points, yet they significantly contradict each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Wow. Thats really close. Such a beautiful animal.

Btw, to the person ready to blow the animal away with 7 quick ones, you are such an artard.

1. If your not in immediate danger, meaning the animal doesnt look like it will attack you cause of your artard-ness, and its doing its shit, follow dumps advice.

2. If the cat is actually looking for a meal, it will stalk you. It wont want you to know its there and will make sure of that. And when its ready to pounce and rip your intestines out for lunch it will do so when your not ready, expecting, or aware of it. It will hit you and you will be non the wiser.
    They aren't ghosts. I know plenty of people who have been stalked and wished they had a gun at the time, and now do carry in the woods.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Jeff could just sneak out and ass-fuck it. I imagine that would traumatize the cat enough to keep it away.

While you might think this is a win-win situation, you need to remember that Jeff's sheep would get jealous. That's the fly in the ointment.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Maybe the sheep could get in the action too. After all, who doesn't like a little pussy now and then?

ba dum dssh

But seriously, folks, those Anatolian Shepherds (we were low-class, I guess, we always called them "Turkish sheep dogs") are truly badass animals. There are wolves and bears and all kinds of shit that likes to eat sheep in the Turkish highlands and those dogs just handle it. They can be vicious with new people too if not thoroughly trained (they're naturally extremely protective of their owners and their family and known friends), and are definitely not a dog for the weak at heart.

Don't have to go to far from civi now days to get some cougar love.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SCBC.DTL&tsp=1

Holy shit those pics are awesome. I would be scared to go outside myself.

Was'nt that women mountain biker attacked by a working sheep dog by camp Hale last summer?

She was kind of a cougar....

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/200...profile=search