Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tesla Motors to make IPO

Currently making the roadster...plans to make a 4 door sedan. I like the tech, just wonder if they actually have a business model that will make any money.

So does anyone think this would be a good investment?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tes...ing-2010-01-29
    "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be--or to be indistinguishable from--self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Not Top Gear

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DfHyGD7_pM"]YouTube- Top Gear Tesla[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopnik.com
    So, Tesla plans to kill the only vehicle they have — a two-seater Lotus-derived electric roadster — in order to develop a seven passenger sedan that has no platform yet? And they want people to invest money in them?
    More here: http://jalopnik.com/5460062/tesla-to...adster-in-2011
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere.

Electric cars are bullshit until better batteries are invented or hydrogen fuel cells become more common.

or until we all live within 30mi of everything

i give it 2.5 years
    holy fucking shitballs

Top Gear

Saw that Top Gear...I have to say, it does make a point that electric vehicles are a long way off for high performance track driving. I'm not sure however that the battery life issues that top gear experienced would be as severe for normal driving...

That being said, I think the Fiskar Karma is a much sexier car and has a much cooler hybrid platform for most types of driving except all out performance / track day type driving. I wonder if the Tesla S will compare. The big difference is that the base type S is half the price of the Fiskar.
    "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be--or to be indistinguishable from--self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
    That is an irrelevant and poorly informed article IMO. The entire company is about taking chances. Investors that are searching for sterling balance sheets and profitability that is just around the corner should look elsewhere.

This is not a bet on the "model s", or the yet to be built sedan. This is a bet on what can happen when airline hanger full of smart people are given a billion dollars and told to revolutionize the car industry. The model s was a proof of concept...the sedan will be another. Underneath it all is the technology that is being developed and licensed to some of the biggest car companies in the world. Some day Tesla may not even make a car of its own, but as most in the tech space know, you can rarely sell your new technology until you've proven its got a shot.

I've met Elon and spoken to him at some length. Regardless of how you feel about his qualifications as Tesla CEO...he embodies the the only spirit that would have gotten this company to where it is today...confident, wealthy and ballsy. Personally, I'd take a bet here all day, knowing full well the obvious risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    Currently making the roadster...plans to make a 4 door sedan. I like the tech, just wonder if they actually have a business model that will make any money.
    Likewise. I really wonder if they have a sustainable future or if they're just living off the hype currently. What do they plan to do with the IPO money?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

First production models of Tesla AWD crossover delivered

Anyone else notice a rather large problem with it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Love the cars. Short the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Anyone else notice a rather large problem with it.....
    No room for a roof rack?
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    No room for a roof rack?
    Pio's back seat passengers trapped.

But yes that too.

But yes that too.

I thought the same thing until I watched the vid of those doors opening with cars parked 1ft away on either side. Double hinged to lift up and then out.

But still no room for a roof rack.

edit: and it kind of looks liked the ugliest suv ever made, pontiac aztec
    Move upside and let the man go through...

But yes that too.
    Hahaha. Now that's hilarious. Poor guy still can't live that one down.

Seriously though. How do you load up your family of 4 on a morning after 6 inches of mixed cement? That thing looks retarded.
    Last edited by philth; 09-30-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Seriously though. How do you load up your family of 4 on a morning after 6 inches of mixed cement? That thing looks retarded.
    Same way you would load up any passenger car? It's not like those "doors" would be any harder to open than a normal swinging door, especially after you clear the roof.... which we all do, right? You're not THAT asshole are you?

Bob Lutz did an interview on CNBC today about the absurdity of the Tesla valuation vs it's negative cash flow. I like his opinion, but, he'll just get blown off as an old school car guy. I think Teslas are silly upper middle class status symbols. That company will need a bailout from you and me to survive, and they'll probably get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That company will need a bailout from you and me to survive, and they'll probably get it.
    Remember we've been bailing them out for years already via clean air credits that other auto makers pay them.
    Absolutely ludicrous system of govt regulation playing favorites yet ignoring environmental costs of electricity generation or what the heck happens to batteries after a few years

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Remember we've been bailing them out for years already via clean air credits that other auto makers pay them.
    Absolutely ludicrous system of govt regulation playing favorites yet ignoring environmental costs of electricity generation or what the heck happens to batteries after a few years
    Yes. Musk is very much a corporate welfare queen. But, he's a very cool welfare queen.

Worth noting that Tesla stock is up >1000% since the IPO.

I'm surprised the X announcement didn't have a more negative reaction. Were investors prepared for a $140k impractical crossover built on the same platform as the S?

Tesla Motors to make IPO

Love the cars. Short the stock.
    You fool. I suggest shorting your stock
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Same way you would load up any passenger car? It's not like those "doors" would be any harder to open than a normal swinging door, especially after you clear the roof.... which we all do, right? You're not THAT asshole are you?
    Philth? Is that you?

Yup. I suppose the Model X is not for you, then.

Why are just the back doors gull wing.. if it's any kind of benefit over normal then do the fronts too? Or the fronts instead since they're usually the far more often used?

Functionality of this new SUV aside, I predict this thread history will repeat itself:

(1) naysayers about Tesla generally
    (2) cars sell and company does well
    (3) naysayers about the SUV
    (4) SUVs sell and company does well.

I think between their battery development program and pushing electro-car tech forward they'd be just fine. If I had money I would have invested. Musk is the real deal, IMHO, no Tucker.

30 miles is hilarious. The Model S goes 300 miles between full charges. Their quick-charging stations alone should be laudable.