Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    My neighbor, Noe, is one of the head chefs at that school. I'll ask him which book he would suggest for a gringo. May take me a few days to run into him.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

thanks, that'd be swell.

So, are you in calgary still? I've spent a week there once, and have been to banff etc... a few times. cool city, and intense mountains. We drove up to Jasper on one trip. I could dig on living in Canada.

"a yin without a yang"

calgary is still fine and dandy, but very expensive to live in. think of SF house prices during the boom, but they never come down. too much money around here. we're being made fun of for being in the rat-race by the people who live in the mountains. kind of like how SF folk are making fun of labbies up on the mesa.

every 6 months we want to go back to NM for the sun and the warmth and the food and everything else, but then we remember all the bad things about it and decide not to. hopefully next year we'll come back to visit enroute to the Austin F1 GP... canadia is by far a much better country to live in, but NM has a few things going for it that nothing in the world can match -- food, sun, decent climate...

i want to go back to Pecos to pick mushrooms... that's sad

Hmm, most of our good recipes are photo-copied or written down, but this one has some petty good red chile recipes.

"remember all the bad things"???? Check in when you get in the area, have a marg or three.

Here's a posole recipe:
    Braise a pound or so of cubed pork in your heavy pot, put a can of chicken broth and 3 cups or so of water in the pot, add 4 or 5 dried chopped red chiles (I think you could use an appropriate amount of red chile powder), two cups of posole (I use frozen, but if you can't get that in Canukistan, look for canned hominy), some diced tomato, a little cumin, some garlic.

Bring to a boil, simmer until the posole kernels pop open and are tender.
    Serve with sopapillas or tortillas.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    "remember all the bad things"????
    any marginally functional service industry would be a plus

we still have lots of friends up on the hill, but i think we'll stay in SF next time we're there.

thanks for the recipe! i found good chile recipe from Pasqual's book which has a 'look inside' preview on amazon oh, yah, the red chile powder i have is now way too strong. i can't believe i used to eat it all the time

OK, f2f, he said they have 2 from their own school, the original (The Santa Fe School of Cooking Cookbook), and a new one (Santa Fe School of Cooking - Flavors of the Southwest). He said the original has more traditional recipes and he would recommend it first.

"a yin without a yang"

thanks! i suspect they won't have "cooking something resembling SF food with no local ingredients for complete idiots" so which one of the two books you mentioned will be more applicable to me?

I'm guessing both are pretty focused on using local ingredients. He just said the first book will have more traditional classics. Maybe neither would be that great for your situation.

Sorry, didn't really discuss it in detail. Maybe books focused on traditional mexican cuisine would be better as chile is not the focus as with new mexican food.

"a yin without a yang"

i'm buying the first book. i have a pretty good supply of anaheim peppers -- once removed from the NM chile, but still the same DNA.

Was that rain? forgot it rained here...

"a yin without a yang"

Water falling right out of the sky...crazy.

by the way, anaheim peppers make for a reasonable NM green chile substitute. not as hot, but i don't think i could handle the hot anymore

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    by the way, anaheim peppers make for a reasonable NM green chile substitute. not as hot, but i don't think i could handle the hot anymore
    Well, that may be, but we're still going to have to scorn and mock you and roll our eyes.

Went to Texas for the 4th and watched a parade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1341492894.236788.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	117974

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1341492956.135287.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	117975

"a yin without a yang"