Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The serious amount of stoke here is fucking awesome mags. This shit hits pretty close to home. Don't have much to offer, but I'll see if I can scrape some cash together for some DL13 apparel. And if SS13 ever needs a lift around the Rockies here, gas is on me!
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Well dude my bags (and BROs) are packed, I have my DL13 gear and my flight lands in Denver at 6pm tomorrow (Friday) night. If you want someone for Saturday to float in on a conversation with a rep all uberstoked and ask for an autograph on the shirt or something, I'm your fuckin' dude. Just say the word.
    And THAT is the pure essence of the maggot brother/sisterhood.

Right, I've had a radical re-think of my approach here. I think approaching all the hipster-glasses-wearing PR people is a bad way to go as they're on the defence from the start.

So I'm going to let them come to me and try to build some kind of hype around this.

I'm printing shit at Kinko's and going to sit in the center of the expo tomorrow with a big fuck-off sign that says "Give me $10,000 to jump off a mountain" or something similar. I'm going to get flyers made and hand them out to everyone explaining what I'm trying to do and film the whole thing too. I can't get around and talk to everyone about how fucking cool this could be, so I'm going to try and get everyone else talking about it for me.

I'm guesstimating $10,000 to cover everything to make a full film about the whole deal, including BASE instruction and certification. I've already done the AFF course but need to get 100 freefalls before I can go near any still-air jumps.

I'm going to try and throw up a website with details for people to see and get their heads around too.

Any ideas or suggestions for names, taglines, slogans etc etc would be pretty sweet.

Keep keepin' on, Andy, and send it.

1000 will not 'get it'. but 1 will.

The one that matters.

Fuck the idiots.

They will still be idiots next year.

KEEP DOING IT!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Awesome story Andy - keep on battling! Just bought a Die Living shirt as a small thank you for the level of stoke and inspiration you've provided.

I've also tweeted about it. Think everyone should get tweeting and facebooking with links to here and your site. Try and get the base-jump story to go viral.

This is awsome. Keep on pushing this idea and dont give up, it will happen and great things will come of this for you. Once people realize what type of hype/buzz that could be created around your idea they will come running. Keep on crushing
    @EdgeLinkJohn

Splat, go print a shirt for him that says:

FKNA!
    Throw me off a cliff!

Small Type: I do all my own stunts
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by SitSki13 View Post
    I just got back in from the SIA Show. Good and Bad....Highlight of the day? Listening to the Mountain Hardwear guy telling me I need to get some exsposure and have people talking about me before I'll get any interest for something like this when a maggot (Sorry jason, forgot your TGR nick!) floats in and says "Hey man, arent you sitski13? You fucking rock, saw you in the x-games and warren miller, hows it going?". FKNA! Thanks mang....
    Interestingly enough, I had beers last night with some friends, one of whom recently joined Columbia Sportsware's (umbrella company for the Mountain Hardware brand) e-marketing organization. He noticed my Die Living long T, so I gave him the backstory and showed him the photo of Andy that Splat just posted (it's now part of my desktop background slide show).

Then I come home and see this. So, I sent him a link to this thread and said that IMHO his colleague made himself and his employer look like a douchebag in front of 25,000+ prime customers for their products.

If someone will send me (or post) sales stats on Die Living apparel, I will pass on to this guy - he will understand the value of what's been accomplished thus far. Maybe there is an opportunity here...

^^^ Speaking of that...I saw this in the padded room. Thought it belongs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    Our own resident badass sit-skier - Andy Cambell. Hardest I've laughed in a long time.

I'm there for my company - shilling our software and talking to people... walk into the Mountain Hardware booth and see a shaved head dude in a wheel-chair talking to one of the MH Reps and I hear something about "film, etc" and I double take thinking that has to be our kid.

I introduce myself and sure enough - it's andy, that dude CRASHED the convention somehow just getting a badge from somebody or somewhere... 100% maggot! I friggen died, when he pulled out somebody elses badge. He was trying to figure out on the fly, how to pitch these big companies to give him some bankroll to either go AK heli-skiing or do some sit-ski BASE jumps.

Dude's my hero. 100% awesome. BAD ASS MOTHER FUCKER.

I know TGR has some connected to the industry dudes/dudettes that can at least help Andy get some sort of pitch material down on how to show a company that having their "advertising" dollars go towards helping film and document ... a dude like andy is pure inspiration... makes their company look good. I know right now he's at square one.

Let's put our collective thinkers together and see what we can do.

Peace fellow maggs.
    jason

PS - Marshall gave me his sexy new DPS Retail Sales Manager card. I think he had "product in his hair"
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

Yo Andy - Jason here, classic moment for sure as the dude's jaw fucking dropped when I go - "how big was the air at you broke your leg in" ... yeah, that's about a 70 footer - guy was like oh, shit this guy is for real. FUCK ME DUDE, I was pissed because after we split up - I ran into Chris Anthony who was shooting random shit for SkiMagazine.com and I chatted up the chick who runs that website and warren miller's site.

I'm going to see if I can figure out what her name/contact is - she was probably somebody who can at least get you in front of a camera.
    Last edited by Poop~Ghost; 01-29-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Well, I *think* it was a woman named Megan - and I found her email addy on the skiing Magazine contact us page. http://www.skinet.com/skiing/contact so I emailed her and pointed her to this page and your website. Hopefully they're still in Denver and HOPEFULLY they have some interest in getting you in front of a camera. They'd be nuts to miss out on getting in on the ground floor. ;-)

Peace bro - and don't hesitate to call if you need anything.

Jason

Highlight of the day? Listening to the Mountain Hardwear guy telling me I need to get some exsposure and have people talking about me before I'll get any interest for something like this when a maggot (Sorry jason, forgot your TGR nick!) floats in and says "Hey man, arent you sitski13? You fucking rock, saw you in the x-games and warren miller, hows it going?". FKNA! Thanks mang.
    EPIC
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

If there's one thing I have noted (much to my flabbergasted amazement) over the years in the industry, is how absolutely bankrupt these industry schmucks are at knowledge of where the industry currently is and is heading, what is hot and what is not. The problem is that people are hired for skillsets that do not cross over to a direct knowledge of what is occurring in their industry. They don't read ski magazines, they don't watch ski movies, they don't tune into places like here. A real dude like Andy rolls up and they act like they have the sagest recommends for an 'up and coming hopeful'. Some turd with with a line of shit a mile long and a bullshit portfolio walks up and they fall over themselves.

Frankly, there are a lot of fukking idiots in the biz who wouldn't know which way a ski points when you're on it. It was my discovery of this paucity of actual knowledge of the business that led me to pen DUDE, Inc., which is still lives on the web here:

http://www.aspectjournal.com/stories..._dude_inc.html

Great read pat - do you still write?

From time to time. Mostly, I post.

I agree with Poop*Ghost, that piece is LOL funneh -

I would buy a D.U.D.E. Inc hoody...

Any thought to contacting the 4 local news channels for a story on Andy? They always ask for story ideas and this might be of interest in connection to the ski show. They have stories on the show every night on 9news. It would get more eyeballs on your desire and who knows what can happen from there.

Just a thought and as a 14 year sit ski instructor, I hope you can make this happen.

I am soooo stoked on this thread! I wish I could do more, but I posted your link on my facebook page.

Cant wait to see how things turn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Just got back from day two at the ski show.

I hit up FedEx and got some flyers made up to hand out so people get to read the full insanity of what I want to do. I handed out about 300 today.

I hit up every stand that I thought might be interested and just went around leaving flyers all over the place. The guys at the GoPro stand were stoked and definitely want to give me cameras at a minimum. That's sweet but I need teh moneyz too.

Uvex were pretty interested too and seemed eager to beat Oakley to any kind of involvement, bidding war....GO!

There's no Red Bull stand or presence at the show but a few people 'said' they had contacts there and would pass on the info, I'm going to try and get in touch with them myself too.

Funnisest thing of the day? Everyone going crazy when Pamela Anderson arrived, like twenty deep crowds trying to get photos with their iPhones. I had no idea what was going on and just saw a huge crowd so tried to squeeze through. Found out it was Pam when some asshole gushed "Dude, it's Pamela Anderson! You're never going to make it through to see her".

Some guys started trying to make room for me to get through but it was going to take forever and I rolled away saying "Ah forget it, she's got hepatitis anyway", I think I made a gay guy cry.

^^^That's some funny shit.

The flyer idea is good man. I bet something comes out of it. You'll make this happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Just got back from day two at the ski show.

I hit up FedEx and got some flyers made up to hand out so people get to read the full insanity of what I want to do. I handed out about 300 today.

I hit up every stand that I thought might be interested and just went around leaving flyers all over the place. The guys at the GoPro stand were stoked and definitely want to give me cameras at a minimum. That's sweet but I need teh moneyz too.

Uvex were pretty interested too and seemed eager to beat Oakley to any kind of involvement, bidding war....GO!

There's no Red Bull stand or presence at the show but a few people 'said' they had contacts there and would pass on the info, I'm going to try and get in touch with them myself too.

Funnisest thing of the day? Everyone going crazy when Pamela Anderson arrived, like twenty deep crowds trying to get photos with their iPhones. I had no idea what was going on and just saw a huge crowd so tried to squeeze through. Found out it was Pam when some asshole gushed "Dude, it's Pamela Anderson! You're never going to make it through to see her".

Some guys started trying to make room for me to get through but it was going to take forever and I rolled away saying "Ah forget it, she's got hepatitis anyway", I think I made a gay guy cry.

Speaking of Red Bull.....
    I live 2 blocks from Miles Daisher who is a member of the Red Bull Air Force and was very good friends with Shane McConkey. I see him around town quite frequently and if it would help, I could possibly put you in contact with him as he is the BASE jump king. Let me know, and i'll see about opening the lines of communication and see if Red Bull will step up to the plate and send some much deserved love your way. Major props to what you are doing out there man.
    Let me know.
    Fats-

^^^^^^ DO IT, DO IT, DO IT ^^^^^^^^

I'm gonna need those guys to just work out what's feasible, this has literally never been done before.

Thanks mang!

Serious suggestion, would you be interested in talking with Travis Pastrana?

I could forward your manifesto to him, if you want.

Serious answer, FUCK YES.

(cough, Jolene, cough)

PM me, I'll see if I can get past his phalynx.