School me on Skowhegan, ME and Sugarloaf

I know, random right?

So the Wife might be looking at a possible job in Skowhegan. It could be a good opportunity for her but might end up being extremely long term meaning spending many years there.

We are coming from living in the mountains of CO for a long time. Both enjoy the outdoors, skiing, biking, hiking, climbing and such. Looks like it's close to Sugarloaf, which looks OK I guess.

So what the fuck can you tell me about this part of Maine. It's one of the few places in the US I have never been. How's the outdoor recreation, economy/jobs, housing, people?

just up past Moose Knuckle

well, 1st off......
    Ya cain't git theya frum heeya......
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Sugarloaf is better than OK for East Coast. One of the top EC mountains for sure. Steep, good vertical and the snowfields off the backside are super fun with good snow/coverage.

Skowhegan (aka Skow-town) is a small, former paper mill-town. I dunno, maybe 8K people. You'll find the people there are generally really genuine and friendly, but may have different interests than you. Don't be scared of the hicks (Maine rednecks) who drive around with a 30-06 hunting rifle in the back window of their pickup truck, that's the norm around those parts. There's good hiking up near The 'Loaf (Bigelow Mtn) and up near The Forks. Good whitewater kayaking and rafting up on the Kennebec River near The Forks and also on the Dead River when they release. You're a couple hours from the coast, but close to the mountains, a great area for outdoor activities. People in Maine are into skiing, but also hunting, fishing and snowmobiling. Oh yeah, there's some great snowmobiling up that way too, near Greenville and Jackman.

Housing will be inexpensive for sure, but good jobs could be difficult to find.

If you like rock music, listen to WTOS (Top Of Sugarloaf) for good tunes. The studio is in Skowtown.

I grew up(23 years) just outside Waterville, ME about 45 minutes from Skowhegan, so I'm very familiar with the area. Let me know if want any other beta.

Oh yeah, there used to be a little hill right in Skowhegan called Eaton Mountain. Small, 500' of vert., but they always had night skiing. I heard the lodge burned down some years ago and I'm not sure if it's in operation or not.
    Old's Cool.

having spent the first 2 decades of my life in maine I can tell you skowhegan is foothills hell, an hour from the ocean, at least that from sugarloaf, waterville is the closest college town with activity. It mostly the big way station for the loggers heading up 201 to canada with loads of pulp wood.

outdoor activities - most will you will have to drive to over an hour trail hiking, skiing etc, its on the kennebec though so you have easy access to canoeing, fishing, kayaking, what not

30 min north you get into some deep woods so if your into hunting, wildlife you'll get plenty of moose, whitetail, bear, bird hunting,

maybe mtn biking? - imagine they have trails somewhere around there

road biking - a lot of quiet routes with enormous frost heaves and the occasional drunk rednecks - but lots of hills and options

real estate should be pretty decent, especially if you settle up the road abit, you could easily live a spot with no sign of lights or civilization

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom-tele View Post
    having spent the first 2 decades of my life in maine I can tell you skowhegan is foothills hell, an hour from the ocean, at least that from sugarloaf, waterville is the closest college town with activity. It mostly the big way station for the loggers heading up 201 to canada with loads of pulp wood.
    No, you're only 1 hour or so to Sugarloaf, but 2 hours to the ocean.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Sugarloaf is better than OK for East Coast. One of the top EC mountains for sure. Steep, good vertical and the snowfields off the backside are super fun with good snow/coverage.

Skowhegan (aka Skow-town) is a small, former paper mill-town. I dunno, maybe 8K people. You'll find the people there are generally really genuine and friendly, but may have different interests than you. Don't be scared of the hicks (Maine rednecks) who drive around with a 30-06 hunting rifle in the back window of their pickup truck, that's the norm around those parts. There's good hiking up near The 'Loaf (Bigelow Mtn) and up near The Forks. Good whitewater kayaking and rafting up on the Kennebec River near The Forks and also on the Dead River when they release. You're a couple hours from the coast, but close to the mountains, a great area for outdoor activities. People in Maine are into skiing, but also hunting, fishing and snowmobiling. Oh yeah, there's some great snowmobiling up that way too, near Greenville and Jackman.

I grew up(23 years) just outside Waterville, ME about 45 minutes from Skowhegan, so I'm very familiar with the area. Let me know if want any other beta.

Oh yeah, there used to be a little hill right in Skowhegan called Eaton Mountain. Small, 500' of vert., but they always had night skiing. I heard the lodge burned down some years ago and I'm not sure if it's in operation or not.
    Thanks, good info. I grew up in the south so guns and rednecks don't really bother me much. We are still in the decision phase but if we decide to pursue it further I'll get in touch with you. Looks like Eaton is still closed but good to hear Sugarloaf is worth a shit.

This place intrigues me since I've never been there. The Mt Katahdin thread makes it look bearable.

Well it sure isn't Colorado-good thing you are already married as that clears one hump. Sugarlaof has been my home mountian off and on. Good mountain, but subject to the whims of East Coast weather. Economy has always been slow in Maine and like many States the State economy is poor. Small job market in Skowhegan with some shifitng in the area to more recreational jobs as the mills are mostly shut down. Movie Empire Falls was set in Skowhegan so you could rent that for a movie view.

Pros:
    Some good home prices on interesting older homes.
    Very good and long white water boating season-in my opinion this is the areas best outdoor activity.
    Good beer.
    Good fishing and hunting.
    Baxter State Park and Arcadia National Park are both a bit of a drive, but jewels.
    Relatively low crime rate.
    Sugarloaf would be an easy day drive.

Cons:
    Black flies
    Mud season.
    temperamental winter.
    Longish drive to places.

When I was a kid I went to the Skowhegan state fair a few times. Had a good time.

The people in Maine are nice.

cmsummit: Where did you grow up? I used to go to camp in Belgrade. We would hang out in Waterville at Whippers and Darrells. I miss the bacon pizza. What was the name of that bar on the other side of the KMART parking lot, I think it was in a basement?

Maine is a great place to live. The better half was born and raised in Standish, which while south of Skowhegan is very similar in backwoods Maine vibe. Beautiful pretty much year round except November when the leaves have dropped and there's no snow. Not much else to the north of Skowtown so plenty of places to explore. Rangeley isnt to far either, probably and extra half hour compared to Sugarloaf and has some of the best fishing/boating and another EC gem in Saddleback (best value in the east. 500 dollar season passes, kids honor roll passes only like 50 bucks, have a pass somewhere else, 39 bucks for a lift ticket, everyday). Houses are cheap as well. Jobs pay jack and are hard to find. Goes with the cost of living. You can snowmobile anywhere, all the way to Lake Placid and about as far south as Rt. 25 along the Standish, Cornish, Parsonsfield corridor if you wanted, further in good snow. Literally hundreds of miles in either direction, trail riding mostly, if thats your thing. People will seem reserved at first till they get to know you, then will do anything to help you out.

You do not move there to party, shop, or have every amenity available. If you want to be more in the woods look at property outisde Madison, Kingfield, etc and split the drive between Sugarloaf and Skowhegan.

Edit: Oh yeah blackfies...those will suck your first summer there. Your most enjoyable hikes will be in the fall anyway. Then after that you get used to them. After 20 years there I dont even notice bugs.
    Live Free or Die

Doh! thanks cm for the correction

it's Maine and it's the east, you make of it what you want

sugarloaf is the shizzle for the east coast. second only to stowe IMO. winters are burly. definitely get a snowmobile. and a dirt bike. and a big ass truck. and some guns. and fishing poles. i spent 4 years in waterville at colby and summers all over the place in ME. baxter is sick, acadia is sick, the allagash is sick, AT in ME is burly (check out the 100 mile wilderness), moosehead is sick, kennebec is sick, white mountains are sick. good times in burly NE outdoors. skowtown is pretty slow + quiet...could be a good place to raise a family for sure but not sure about the schools. waterville would be closest other bigger town and there is not a plethora of find dining. you would want to be a proficient internet shopper, cook, outdoor enthusiast, and very comfortable hanging out with your family a lot. carabasset valley academy is one of the best ski prep schools in the country and at the base of the loaf. those kids fucking rip.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Wicked sick!

The Champagne of Maine. Enjoy a thermos anywhere, anytime ! Also good straight from the bottle or mixed w/ beer for dinner.

Three things I don't miss about Maine:
    1. Blackflies
    2. Pollen (allergies)
    3. Rain in December, January or February
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by high-C View Post
    The Champagne of Maine. Enjoy a thermos anywhere, anytime ! Also good straight from the bottle or mixed w/ beer for dinner.
    Allen's was important enough to come out of lurk mode? That says something.

When I was living in Old Town, I was talking to a bartender friend from Massachusetts who said that she'd been told that Allen's would stop making the coffee brandy if it weren't for the sales in Maine. Apparently, it doesn't sell much anywhere else, but those Mainers love that stuff...

spent my first 18 summers in maine and loved every second of it.

The people here in MT remind me alot of the people in ME.

Not sure on the state laws, but plan on a few decades to get your "official state residence" haha
    Just joking, the people are great and I think the lobster is pretty cheap right now! Enjoy, and if you go to Baxter, get up early.
    ""wash uffize drive me to firenze".

I grew up in maine as well, then moved to montana for school. they're pretty similar, except montana has bigger mountains, and maine has ocean.

Skowtown is pretty Maine, kind of a low key - not much around town. If you like the outdoors thing, its pretty good, that's about all there is to do. real good hiking, snowmobiling, etc. as other people have pointed out.

Sugarloaf is pretty solid and big enough to keep you occupied and you won't get too bored skiing there on a regular basis.

that's about it. good thing you're already married, chicks are not maine's strong suit. but it's a good place to raise a family. I turned out okay I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by high-C View Post
    you're doing it wrong!! Allen's shaken w/ milk, FTW!!

Quote Originally Posted by skipig25
    good thing you're already married, chicks are not maine's strong suit.
    double ouch. couple of us maineah girls on the board might resent that
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Damn good thing you're going there with a woman in tow . . . cuz up in Maine the men are men and the sheep are runnin scared!

Aah shit someone beat me to it.

Seriously, the people up there are the salt of the earth. But it ain't Colorado. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguide View Post
    you're doing it wrong!! Allen's shaken w/ milk, FTW!!

I see that you've left though....

I wouldn't live in Skowhegan, but it is located in a pretty central location to a lot of the beauty that the state has to offer. Out of curiosity, what kind of work is your wife trying to land?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Allen's was important enough to come out of lurk mode? That says something.

When I was living in Old Town, I was talking to a bartender friend from Massachusetts who said that she'd been told that Allen's would stop making the coffee brandy if it weren't for the sales in Maine. Apparently, it doesn't sell much anywhere else, but those Mainers love that stuff...
    Yup...Allen's is a truly beguiling blend of caffeine, sugar, and alcohol that functions as the Mainer's speedball. Way cheaper and more convenient than mixing Nyquil & Dayquil (though a smidge less tasty imho). BTW the ladies love it on the rocks w/milk (Fat Ass in a Glass).

Quote Originally Posted by skiguide View Post

but you've left.

also keep in mind that I did date maine girls for the majority of my life so far. it's just that the good ones are few and far between. as is true with most places I suppose, so I guess it's average.

montana is significantly worse, FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what kind of work is your wife trying to land?
    It's of the dental variety......

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    It's of the dental variety......
    Well then she'll have plenty to keep her busy...