Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Putting a rocker in my Sumos?

I think it has been discussed previously with a guy rockering his big daddies but I couldn't find the thread.

I have a pair of 190 Sumos I would like to put a slight rocker on. Has anyone done this? Put a rocker into their old non-rockered skis.

I'm thinking I need to press them onto something to give both skis equal rocker and apply some heat. Does anyone have any good thoughts on this to minimize chances of delamination?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Pm stuckathuntermountain
    He is the ski rockering master
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yeah, ^^^ pm stuckathuntermountain.

But if you want to give at a go, this is how eric hjorleifson adds more rocker:

Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Definitely worth a try.
    I'd pic another ski to model the rocker off(Chopsticks?), so that you have some idea of what your aiming for. It should also take some of the gestimation out of how the rocker effects the ski.

I'd do some investigating and find out at what point the rocker starts on the Chopsticks and how much it rises and then adjust it for the Sumo so that it suits your preferences.

Let us know how you get on.
    I ski therefore I am.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    Quote Originally Posted by njfreeskier View Post

so does the brand of smoke matter in the transformation of a non rocker to rocker ski and if so, which brand gives you the best and/or biggest rocker
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

If you try this, please post your results. I have some 190 Sumos -- if I could rocker the tips on those a bit, they'd be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Let us know the results and how you accomplish it. I wouldn't mind adding some tip rocker to my 190 goats

How big of a hammer do I need? Does it need to be a framing hammer? I have a 12 lb. sledge...

Hmm.. The first gen sumos didnt have any metal in them,dont know it the later versions have it? Could be a bit difficult to keep the shape without it...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I did it to a pair of some old Seth Pistols. Some clamps, pieces of wood and a heat gun. I tried to replicate the rocker in a pair of current Obsethed's(?) and it came out pretty good. I need to hit it with a bit more heat and a larger piece of wood wedged in there to get the exact desired profile but after a month and a half, the rocker that I have given it hasn't relaxed at all.

Blocks of wood, clamps and heat seem to be the key. Pat, post some results of your seth mods and skiing. I've considered doing the same to my beaters. I have some pics somewhere in Tech talk of some pretty substantial camber and rocker adjustments we performed on some 150cm Pow plus for my son.
    Driving to Targhee

Quote Originally Posted by njfreeskier View Post

This is damn near the exact way that I just rockered a pair of Nordica Blowers

I put a nice mini rocker on my Double Helices using this same method...so yes, it does work for skis without metal. You won't/can't get a deep rocker without the metal though. I used a 2.5" stack of wood for under the tips (about 2" behind the tip cap) and a 2" stack for the tails in the same relative spot as the tips. The closer you clamp the ski down to the stack, the bigger the bend...obviously. I pressed down on the ski with my weight to get a feel for the best spot to clamp. I went as close as I could to the stack while still being able to totally flatten the ski with my body weight. This was a couple inches forward of my toe piece and right behind the heel piece. The resulting rocker is 8/45 tip and 5/35 tail.

Last edited by booner; 02-04-2010 at 09:31 PM.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Nice, I think I'm going to do the same thing to my DH's. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    I put a nice mini rocker on my Double Helices using this same method...so yes, it does work for skis without metal. You won't/can't get a deep rocker without the metal though. I used a 2.5" stack of wood for under the tips (about 2" behind the tip cap) and a 2" stack for the tails in the same relative spot as the tips. The closer you clamp the ski down to the stack, the bigger the bend...obviously. I pressed down on the ski with my weight to get a feel for the best spot to clamp. I went as close as I could to the stack while still being able to totally flatten the ski with my body weight. This was a couple inches forward of my toe piece and right behind the heel piece. The resulting rocker is 8/45 tip and 5/35 tail.

Here is the orginal thread (albeit last page)
    adding rocker

FYI- I ended up with slight wrinkling of the topsheet

Picks of my OG Big Daddy's:
    "Not all who wander are lost"

^^^Did your BD's just kink like it looks like they did in the second picture?
    Or is the curve continuous?

I put a nice mini rocker on my Double Helices using this same method...so yes, it does work for skis without metal.

Any bad side effects?

Also, is that a hair dryer in that pic? Were you able to get the skis hot enough with just a hair dryer?

I have a heat gun; just curious how hot I really need to get the skis. If a hair dryer will do it, that seems safer.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

For those that have done the home-rocker, Hjorleifson style with a heat gun --

How long did you heat the ski?
    How long did you leave the skis clamped in the rockered position?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    For those that have done the home-rocker, Hjorleifson style with a heat gun --

How long did you heat the ski?
    How long did you leave the skis clamped in the rockered position?
    No side effects at all. Yes, it's a hair dryer..but an uber-fancy expensive one that gets hot as F...heated the skis for about 5 min and that made em plenty hot, but not too hot. I would use the heat gun on low if I had one...seems getting them too hot would be bad. I am doing it again right now after adding more to the stacks of wood...so tip has 3.5" under it and tail has 2.5". I also changed my setup so tip and tail are clamped at the same time. I let them sit for a couple hours the first time and they didn't seem to relax at all. I'm taking my insane 3 year old son bowling today and I'm leaving them clamped till I get back...probably 3 hours. Not sure if leaving them longer would help. I'll post pics of the modified setup and resulting rocker later today.

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

No side effects at all. Yes, it's a hair dryer..but an uber-fancy expensive one that gets hot as F...heated the skis for about 5 min and that made em plenty hot, but not too hot. I would use the heat gun on low if I had one...seems getting them too hot would be bad. I am doing it again right now after adding more to the stacks of wood...so tip has 3.5" under it and tail has 2.5". I also changed my setup so tip and tail are clamped at the same time. I let them sit for a couple hours the first time and they didn't seem to relax at all. I'm taking my insane 3 year old son bowling today and I'm leaving them clamped till I get back...probably 3 hours. Not sure if leaving them longer would help. I'll post pics of the modified setup and resulting rocker later today.
    Thanks - definitely interested in seeing the rockered profile pic.

I think I'll do this with my Sumos, but I only want to rocker the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    ^^^Did your BD's just kink like it looks like they did in the second picture?
    Or is the curve continuous?
    Little bit of both.
    Pic #1 shows the ski lying flat with camber still present
    Pic #2 shows the process
    Pic #3 shows the skis lashed togehter and decambered

There is a littl kink at the start, but then it is a low curve/ long rise tip. If you heat it up too fast and have too much pressure applied, you will kink the ski. It needs to be slow and gradual- I used a heat gun and did each ski three rounds. I left them clamped for 10 minutes to cool and they still show no signs of relaxing.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

I really want to see what booner's Double Helixes came out like. From their specs, they sound a lot like the Sumo (similar size/shape, no metal):
    http://libertyskis.com/2010/double_helix_190.php

Not the best pics, but you get the idea. I put them in front of the window cause the pics against the wall shadowed the rocker. The pic is the tip, but the tails are close to the same thing, so no point in showing them. The tips didn't gain any more rocker with the additional wood, but the tails did gain a hair more. I didn't have max. force on the tails before, but I did this time. I'm gonna go ahead and say for this ski and this method, I got the most rocker I could after doing it a couple times with the same results. Final rocker is 7-8/45 in the tip and 6/40 in the tail. I'd call it an elongated mini-rocker. The rocker is also perfectly smooth and continuous due to the lack of metal (no kinking with wood). These should ski pretty fuckin well in everything now. My only issue with them before was that I felt I was trading the versatility, due to the solid feel/flex, for a little decrease in soft snow performance. In other words, these skis have balls, so without rocker they won't float like a typical noodly pow ski...should be the best of both worlds now.

Last edited by booner; 02-05-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks booner - looks great.

Looks awesome, was thinking about the same for 194 XXL