Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    Once again you've mistaken me for someone who cares about other countries beside my own.
    ^This explains a lot. Thanks.^

Cletus, one comment: I've found that it's quite chic abroad to be a bush-basher, even if you don't have a clue about US foreign policy. So, I think the default position is "anyone but Bush." I met people who were seriously anti-Bushites, but couldn't name his opponent or clarify why they supported him.

Now, the same thing happens here, to be sure, but it happens both ways. I totally agree with your amazement in not finding a single pro-Busher foreigner... just trying to offer some insight.

It's interesting that Vladimir Putin has thrown his endorsement to Bush, by the way. Of course, high oil prices aren't a problem for some countries.

Edit: wanted to note that I realize, generally, most non-americans are at least as in touch with US policy as their American counterparts.
    It's idomatic, beatch.

Fair enough, good point. But still...
    Last edited by Yossarian; 10-21-2004 at 09:22 AM.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I agree for many people outside the states it is 'anyone but bush'. Even if someone was as bad as Bush the last four years they won't be nearly as bad as I think Bush will be if he gets 4 more years. Think of it, no third term nothing to loose, everything to gain by more raiding the cookie jar, making his buddies rich and general idiocy.

The thing that strikes me with US politics is the president is refered to as 'the leader' or 'the supreme leader'. Somewhere there is a need to buy in to this leader you've commited to. I was amazed that less than half the US voted for him and yet when he went on about invading Iraq americans seemed to almost all buy in even though much of the rest of the world was unsure. Of course hindsight now shows that many were duped even if lots still think it was right, it clearly wasn't justified for the reasons given.

In Canada and I think many other countries we refer to the head of government as our representative. If they start screwing up they start to take the heat with public opinion, media, opposition in parliment. Much less of doing what they want and we follow and more of trying to guage public sentiment and do their bidding. It doesn't always work and there's lots of problems too but maybe the difference starts to explains how 1/2 of americans can still support him when almost the entire rest of the world fucking hates him and is terrified of what this moron will do next.

US foreign policy has long antagonized much of the world but the policies under the Bush administration have gotten far worse so he becomes the focus of that discontent. Please, please turf the fucking idiot before he muddles more foreign and domestic policy.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by 1080Rider
    Freshies, why do you think the "republican party" didn't want McCain. The problem is that the presidency is up for sale. The only reason Bush won in the last nomination (and election) is because of the massive war chest he built while campaigning. We need to stop this. We will forever more have less than qualified candidates for the presidency. Just as I assume not all democrats want Kerry as a candidate, neither did much of the party want bush. Unfortunately, that's where politics are now...

This is why I hate the party system we have in the US. If you don't like Bush or Kerry for that matter don't vote for them just because they are from "your" party. Vote based on the issues.

Personally I like Kerry. I have listened to several of his speaches and check on some background info. He have cast some postive votes for the environment which is my most important issue considering it deal with my profession.

I do think the letter writting campaign may backfire. Reminds of reverse psychology.