Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Now I might just be postulating here, but I bet the most revolutionary occurrence in ski design history was when some sucker decided to curve the tip upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx
    so like. . . skiing came before writing. or did the chicken come before the egg?
    While where on the whole egyption thing, I guess we would have to credit them with the first apres ski, and the mother of all snow rituals, mumifing there leaders for the snow gods.

But seriously. things about hexcel skis, etc, and what thouse of you that where actualy around rember of thouse types of skis, and what your impresions where of the more radicle / inovative skis of the time.

Shit, if i was a good student I would do a grad project on the spyder boot alone, so I gota keep this one concentrated to actual ski desing, so i can have time to ski this winter.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    Now I might just be postulating here, but I bet the most revolutionary occurrence in ski design history was when some sucker decided to curve the tip upwards.
    Bwaahaaaaaa. Clasic dude, i think that needs to be a ear muffs.
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Seriously dude, if you want ONLY ski design advances, rather simple.

Edges/cracked edges/serated

Different materials then wood

sidecut

width

twin tips

Duker will argue K2's piezo/light system in their K2 fours was revolutionary, but c'mon.

There's always some guy thats built a new ski saying it's the coolest ever, but it's only an adjustment on ski design thats been around forever. Traditional sidecut and camber have been around forever........(boring) The Spatula is the most revolutionary design to come around in a century....of course, 10-15 years ago, people laughed about fat skis being the "new thing"......Don't kid yourself, Spats are the best, original, true progression of ski design in 100 years.

Good heavens one post generates 3 un-responded posts from blurred. I think Ive achieved my goal for the evening.
    good night all!
    duker

Play it forward - what's the next big design innovation for skis gonna be?

2 pairs of prophet's.
    Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of resume's in the bin without reading them.

Scorpion's are WAAAAAAY more revolutionary than Spatulas! Cut the tails off a pair of skis, and there ya go!
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of resume's in the bin without reading them.

Bump for more beta
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

http://www.skiinghistory.org/skishistory.html

I would say Howard Head's ski design was the most important advance in the history of skiing (see the 1949 entry). Definitely the first "modern" ski.

Nice find, AD.

Mbs, you bitch, gettin everyone to do your homework.... you should get an 'A' in conniving.

MBS could have used Google, but they haven't come out with the Rosetta Stone version yet

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    MBS could have used Google, but they haven't come out with the Rosetta Stone version yet
    Bablefish JONG!

Sondre Nordheim invented sidecut and, I think, camber. not entirely sure. But he is considered the first breakthrough in modern ski design. google tha dude.
    ....Largely referred to as the father of modern ski design. we could call him the godfather if that suits our style better.

Howard Head introduced the first metal ski (Head Standard) in the 50s (I think) google tha dude.

Hexcel was the first honeycomb core, I don't really know if that is a major ski design...ummm advance as it never really went off on a large scale.

Graduated Length Method spurred a spate of short-to-longer ski development shit in the 70s. google that phrase , or Cliff Taylor and it might get you a thing or two, but don't really know.

in the late 70s hart had a super sidecut ski, but due to the materials and and construction techniques of the day it lacked the torsional rigidity to perform and was less than a one-off.

You could do some research on how composites, directional materials etc, affected manufacturing at large since it really is materials and cosntruction techniques that allowed shaped ski to work.

solomon was the first cap ski to really make it. the monocoque was the strength, not the core (kinda like lobster)

Kneissl Ergo was a supersidecut in production just before the elan SCX though the Elan is what actually made shaped skis big and the Ergo never really made much of a splash.

Oh yeah and the oldest ski in existence, the Hoting ski, is short and fat. Something like 45 or 4900 years old...

and this is intersting too: c.1222 First marriage break-up caused by skiing described by Icelandic bard Snorre Sturlason. The goddess Skadi abandoned her husband, the god Njord, to go skiing. During this period, legends grew up around those who were skilled on skis.
    Last edited by cultvo; 10-21-2004 at 12:17 AM.
    "Sometimes nuthin' is a real cool hand"

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    I don't think you can argue that the Spatula has been the most innovative ski design of the last 100 years....
    For this boards type of skiing that is 1000000% true...

For a lot of people shaped skis are the biggest advance
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Salomon Timeline may give some good info

nother link

and

a one sided historical look
    Last edited by cultvo; 10-21-2004 at 12:54 AM.

not sure if it was a major advancement, not even sure they use it anymore, but atomic started using that textured/dimpled top sheet a couple years ago. looks kind of like snakeskin but is supposed to function like the dimples on a golf ball to help the ski go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx
    not sure if it was a major advancement, not even sure they use it anymore, but atomic started using that textured/dimpled top sheet a couple years ago. looks kind of like snakeskin but is supposed to function like the dimples on a golf ball to help the ski go faster.
    For years, I've been waxing my poles to get that same effect.

should I stop?

Quote Originally Posted by cultvo
    should I stop?
    Sweet the more info you guys post the better my paper will be. The collective minds of the maggots can do a much better job at researching thin then i can on my own.

Thanks!
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    Sweet the more info you guys post the better my paper will be.
    Internet message boards are great sources for research papers, god forbid you should ever have to step foot in a library.

Why stop there? I'll write a few paragraphs and you can copy and paste them, okay? Give me a few seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by Egon
    Internet message boards are great sources for research papers, god forbid you should ever have to step foot in a library.

Why stop there? I'll write a few paragraphs and you can copy and paste them, okay? Give me a few seconds...
    Who woulda thought mbs' prof was a maggot???????

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    Hey everyone! Check out this rad fence that I get to whitewash! Too bad you guys are all stuck going skiing. You know what? I 'll let you guys try this new school whitewashing brush if you'll let me try your new skis. Anyone want to trade? It's the deal of the century!

(although this ski history stuff is pretty interesting)

where were you all when i had to write papers?