Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Death at Copper today

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...0954&catid=339

KUSA - A 56-year old skier from Denver died today after hitting a tree on Copper Mountain.

The Summit County coroner's office says that Randy Schnicker struck a tree around eleven Sunday morning.

Ski patrollers were in the area and responded immediately. Schnicker was rushed to St. Anthony's Summit Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

The coroner's office says he was wearing a helmet but sustained fatal head injuries.

(Copyright KUSA*TV, All Rights Reserved)

so this did actually happen. Summit and I met some folks tonight who saw this getting chest compressions in a sled when they were at copper today.

Sad stuff. Vibes to the family
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Very sad.Condolences to family and freinds..............

Too bad. Props to the 'trollers on scene!!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Quote Originally Posted by powder_prophet View Post
    Props to the 'trollers on scene!!
    Huh?? This seems out of place.

Sad to hear. Bad week, definitely a reality check. Prayers out to those affected.

Helldawg Guest
    ^^^What, giving credit to the patrollers trying to save the guys life is out of place?

I was riding Super Bee up and we were right over that middle steeper pitch of Andy's Encore when we heard frantic yelling and whistle blowing. Cresting the rollover were several patrollers. A couple were in front yelling and clearing the way, and another was steering (really braking madly) the sled as the victim was receiving chest compressions by another patroller straddling him on the sled also. Another was helping control the sled from behind. We watched it all seemingly in slow motion.

Goddamn, that put a huge pit in our stomachs. I've never seen that before. Immediately thereafter we heard the ambulance arrive at the base.

Later a couple of the guys I was with saw two patrollers scoping out the accident scene, it was roped off and it looked like they were taking notes & measurements. It was on a fairly mellow section of that run. Very sad.

Vibes to the family...

Vibes to the family.

Silencer: That is a hell of story. Just reading it freaks me out.

Vibes to the family. What a shame.

Silencer: That is a hell of story. Just reading it freaks me out.
    Same here.

Its an amazingly dangerous sport we all take part in. Everyone be safe out there.

Vibes to the family. i can't imagine.

Wow, so sad. I have seen 'Trollers going down on the seld performing CPR before and it's a pretty heavy thing to see.

++Vibes++
    Training for Alpental

In the Greatest Nation on this Amazing Planet
    It's a shame that although he was wearing a Helmet it could not prevent his death. It's time that Helmets for Skiing should be that if not better than a Motorcycle Helmet. I'm curious to know what Helmet he was wearing and why it failed.

If Governments do not have the BALLS to increase safety standards then the Industry most respond to their lack of safety and minimalist standards.

This poor man goes Skiing, wears a Helmet thinking it will protect him and it failed him and his family.

My heart goes out to his love ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Snowballs View Post
    It's a shame that although he was wearing a Helmet it could not prevent his death. It's time that Helmets for Skiing should be that if not better than a Motorcycle Helmet. I'm curious to know what Helmet he was wearing and why it failed.

If Governments do not have the BALLS to increase safety standards then the Industry most respond to their lack of safety and minimalist standards.

This poor man goes Skiing, wears a Helmet thinking it will protect him and it failed him and his family.

A severe impact can fuck you up helmet or not. Remember what happened to Dale Earnhardt? He was wearing a state of the art helmet and a six point harness. Massive, abrupt G-force can slam your brain into the inside of your skull or tear your brain stem up. Your organs can tear and the shock can stop your heart. I can think of two fatalities at the Village that resulted from hard landings on a park feature or a cliff huck.

I first responded a dude who hit a tree last season. He turned himself from a 22 year old ripper into a chopper evac in .01 seconds. It was like he was hit by a fucking truck. Broken femur, hip, vertebrae, elbow and guts = massive internal bleeding. His concussion was the least of his problems. Play it safe in the glades; no air is worth that sort of damage.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Piss off you nancyboy. Stay in your bubble.

Neckdeep;2706124]A severe impact can fuck you up helmet or not. Remember what happened to Dale Earnhardt? He was wearing a state of the art helmet and a six point harness. Massive, abrupt G-force can slam your brain into the inside of your skull or tear your brain stem up. Your organs can micro tear and the shock can stop your heart.

Good point you are making but I bet you take that same Helmet Dale Earnhardt was wearing and put into a Ski/Snowboard application you would see a drastic reduction in death and trauma.

Most people would buy a $80.00 Helmet over a $800.00 Helmet but if that's what it costs to save a LIFE or serious Brain Damage then it's worth it. I know most people can't afford or will not spend $800.00 on a Helmet but can we afford the Medical and Life Ruining cost if we don't.

I know what you're saying is true but somethings got to change with the current standards.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Piss off you nancyboy. Stay in your bubble.
    Thanks FUCK HEAD now STFU and grow up !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    A severe impact can fuck you up helmet or not. Remember what happened to Dale Earnhardt? He was wearing a state of the art helmet and a six point harness.
    that's not exactly true or the same thing - dale was wearing an OPEN faced helmet at the time, which is (was) not at all considered to be state of the art at the time (the best you could buy, though, for sure.) since then, yes, full face helmets & hans devices (to prevent that violent neck/head snap forwad) became required.. keep in mind you're also talking about a 200+mph impact, but that may not matter considering what we know about skiing head injuries now & that even a slower speed impact can be fatal.

anyway, I agree that maybe it's time to re-evaluate ski helmet safety standards...

but that doesn't change the fact that this man lost his life right now.

so sad, RIP dude.

and yes...props to the everyday people/patrollers who had to witness & deal with that trauma first hand. that's not easy.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Very sad. Condolences to his family and friends.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Thanks FUCK HEAD now STFU and grow up !!!!
    Grow up? Funny choice of words given your childish desire to have the nanny state save you from the big bad world.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Grow up? Funny choice of words given your childish desire to have the nanny state save you from the big bad world.
    Please go away. You are an ignorant idiot.

In any sport that helmets are worn they offer only a limited scope of protection. They are not the end all be all to save your life. Some times people die even while wearing protective devices.

Sad day for the family and all those involved in trying to save him.

Neckdeep;2706124]A severe impact can fuck you up helmet or not. Remember what happened to Dale Earnhardt? He was wearing a state of the art helmet and a six point harness. Massive, abrupt G-force can slam your brain into the inside of your skull or tear your brain stem up. Your organs can micro tear and the shock can stop your heart.

Good point you are making but I bet you take that same Helmet Dale Earnhardt was wearing and put into a Ski/Snowboard application you would see a drastic reduction in death and trauma.

Most people would buy a $80.00 Helmet over a $800.00 Helmet but if that's what it costs to save a LIFE or serious Brain Damage then it's worth it. I know most people can't afford or will not spend $800.00 on a Helmet but can we afford the Medical and Life Ruining cost if we don't.

I know what you're saying is true but somethings got to change with the current standards.
    No, actually you would see an increase in neck trauma since those helmets are heavy as hell and just about everyone lacks the strength to keep proper neck alignment with your head bouncing around on the mountain. Also, race car drivers have a huge vehicle that is built to crumple around them, reducing the deceleration, which is what most safety devices cannot overcome. Most of those helmets come with some kind of neck restraint system as well. Those guys aren't holding up that helmet themselves, nor do their bodies actually impact the objects that the car hits.

Nothing has to change. You either except the fact that skiing is a dangerous sport, or you don't go skiing. It's not like driving where you *have* to do it. You *choose* to ski. We all make our own decisions.

You're not too smart if you think simply spending money on a heavier, bulky, lower visibility helmet is going to somehow better save your life. It's people like you that have a serious misunderstanding on how the body reacts to impact that make this sport unsafe.

The best we can do is wear helmets and ski within our own abilities. Everything beyond that is an accepted risk.
    "And I love it that other senior members apparently don't realize when they're jonging someone who's sarcastically jonging someone that they know is making a sarcastic funny...

we're now in some sort of irony wormhole." -DAFTC

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkledpants View Post
    No, actually you would see an increase in neck trauma since those helmets are heavy as hell and just about everyone lacks the strength to keep proper neck alignment with your head bouncing around on the mountain. Also, race car drivers have a huge vehicle that is built to crumple around them, reducing the deceleration, which is what most safety devices cannot overcome. Most of those helmets come with some kind of neck restraint system as well. Those guys aren't holding up that helmet themselves, nor do their bodies actually impact the objects that the car hits.

Nothing has to change. You either except the fact that skiing is a dangerous sport, or you don't go skiing. It's not like driving where you *have* to do it. You *choose* to ski. We all make our own decisions.

You're not too smart if you think simply spending money on a heavier, bulky, lower visibility helmet is going to somehow better save your life. It's people like you that have a serious misunderstanding on how the body reacts to impact that make this sport unsafe.

The best we can do is wear helmets and ski within our own abilities. Everything beyond that is an accepted risk.
    I agree about the risk and maybe your right about spending more money.
    The point Truth made about "Nanny State" is just stupid. If we all thought that way your car would not have Airbags and other safety features that increase ones ability to survive a crash.

Helmet safety needs to improve.

Probably the dumbest post I've seen on here in a while. Should the government make us wear helmets when we drive a car? That would be safer. How about body armor when we go running? Maybe everyone should just dress in bubblewrap from now on.

It's not about the government having the "balls" to do something, it's about the government not having the right tell you what you can or can't do with respect to your personal safety decisions.

I agree about the risk and maybe your right about spending more money.

The point Truth made about "Nanny State" is just stupid. If we all thought that way your car would not have Airbags and other safety features that increase ones ability to survive a crash.

Helmet safety needs to improve.

Seriously...shut the fuck up. With your line of logic, skiers should be surrounded in a steal roll cage equipped with side impact reinforcements and air bags. And where the hell did you get the notion that a helmet should be able to protect you from every possible impact? If you're not a obvious troll, then you're probably the most idiotic gaper I've seen on this board to date.