Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Less skiing this year

I don't think I'm going to get much in this year. This isn't a statement of fact, just a feeling. I'm not happy about it, but I think in the long term I'll end up much better if I just suck it up this year. I need to make some changes, so that work is a lot less like work and more like something I'm really stoked about. I've been saying this for a year now, but with these sorts of things, it's usually good to let the idea stew around, like a crock pot on low, for a good long time. Last year, I thought I knew where I wanted to get to. Now, I not only know where I want this to end up, but I think I have a pretty good grasp on how I can get there. Unfortunately, one major piece of that plan is to get my truck paid off and accumulate enough to live off for a while during the possible (likely?) but hopefully short lean times. Somehow, skiing doesn't mix with that well.

Damn.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled programming. Had to get that off my chest...

I've got this girlfriend whom I believe may make things difficult for me this winter.

She snowboards but just has other priorities in life right now.
    I feel she may mistake my driving three hours to ski instead of two to see her as me being a dick.
    Buy nice things here.
    www.motorcityglassworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by A-wreck
    I've got this girlfriend whom I believe may make things difficult for me this winter.

I feel she may mistake my driving three hours to ski instead of two to see her as me being a dick.

dump her.....
    steezarific!!

Almost missed this. You do what you have to do. As you know from knee surgeries, one season is worth the sacrifice for more, better ones. If you have your eye on a prize, do what needs to be done to achieve it. Insert more such cliches here.

SaAaH (and go for quality over quantity if a choice must be made),
    d.

Hmmm.... I have that same feeling. I am going to try to get up to Vermont at least once this winter, as well as a few days around here. But, that's it. It will be the first time in about 6 years that I haven't made a trip out west
    Oh well, maybe a new job will bring new opportunities.....

Quote Originally Posted by hardrider
    dump her.....
    Or wait a few years and then dump here. THAT'S WHAT I DID!

Quote Originally Posted by A-wreck

My girlfriend was a bit worried that skiing would get in the way. I tried to say "your more important than skiing" But my lips wouldnt let me tell a lie of that proportion. So I just smiled and said dont worry I like you AND skiing. she was not stoked.

Unhappy

I have that feeling too.

Daughter coming in Feb. Wife not stoked on me spending money on ANYTHING, and is getting to the point of not giving a flying shit what I have to say, especially about skiing/boarding. 5 months pregnant, and uncomfortable. She went as far as asking me where I think I am going to get the money to play at the MINI summit. Skiing and money, sore subjects in the Buzz house.

Got my Beaver pass at least.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    I have that feeling too.

Daughter coming in Feb. Wife not stoked on me spending money on ANYTHING, and is getting to the point of not giving a flying shit what I have to say, especially about skiing/boarding. 5 months pregnant, and uncomfortable. She went as far as asking me where I think I am going to get the money to play at the MINI summit. Skiing and money, sore subjects in the Buzz house.

Welcome to my nightmare.
    ('cept for the pregnant part, praise Jah.)
    Generally speaking, she's not stoked about me spending my money. (on me.), she does not give a flying shit what I have to say. She must be uncomfortable. She asks where I'm going to get money to play golf, ski, etc - and wonders why if I have that much EXTRA - it's not in HER account. Skiing, money, sex, friends, lives...sore subjects in EP's house.

edit: And I have NOT picked up my pass yet.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

I have that feeling too.

5 months pregnant, and uncomfortable.
    If you think they are cranky and uncomfortable at 5 months, you ain't seen nothing yet....

My Mrs. is 8.5 months along - she claims to have forgotten more about being uncomfortable by this point, than most people have ever known....only 2 more weeks...
    I went out there in search of experience. To taste, and to touch, and to feel as much as a man can, before he repents.

This is why fortunately & unfortunately, I'm not married.I've found that things that were OK with the women you're with before you're exclusive,are no longer acceptable after.It is their way or their way,like the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland.I lose my faith occasionally,but remain determined to find a woman I can relate to that also relates to me.When my book comes out on this subject,virtually all on this site will be able to relate,And I'm just talking about non-pregnant spouses here!
    Last edited by freshie247; 10-19-2004 at 03:49 PM.
    Calmer than you dude

Oh, and was asked to sell my gun and motorcycle too, plus the Vortex 2200 backcountry backpack I won at Soul Purpose.

Gun I can live without, specially with a kid coming. Anyone need a Taurus PT 911 9MM, with goodies?

Motorcycle, she is off her rocker!!! (though she did take the insurance off it and neglect to tell me, after I got back from a ride just a week ago, a long fast ride )

Backpack, may be the one thing that gets me a few more days or runs. NO FREAKIN WAY!!!

I like my toys and I am keeping them dammit.

Only reason I have a pass this year is that Beaver Mountain sells em the last month or so before the end of the season, good for the rest of that season and all of this season. Got lucky, even though I now have to drive up past Logan to ski/ride, instead of the 25 minutes to a large mountain like Snowbasin. I feel lucky to have that at this point.

Money sucks.

Canuk, what does not kill me will make me stronger. Hope to see you after Feb. Literally

Ep: She even looks at the golf clubs, the roof will blow off.

Freshie: When you find the right one, none of this banter matters, I love my wife and my daughter on the way and that is what counts.

Only reason I have a pass this year is that Beaver Mountain sells em the last month or so before the end of the season, good for the rest of that season .

I heart the $200 season pass. Buzz, Im feeling for you buddy, Ill try and log a 70+ days in your honor. Should be up there any day and would really like to ride with you when you do manage to get up here. Remember the mountains might be the only thing that will make you feel better at about the 8 month mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Duker
    My girlfriend was a bit worried that skiing would get in the way. I tried to say "your more important than skiing" But my lips wouldnt let me tell a lie of that proportion. So I just smiled and said dont worry I like you AND skiing. she was not stoked.
    classic. is there a post preservation service for wife/girlfriend/skiing? there should be.

i almost said it. but same thing happened. lips couldn't quite form the words. "nnnggggg. . ."
    scroll to "Buy DVD", very bottom of page http://bhandf.com/bhandf%202008/longform.htm I do not work for Bill, just dig his work.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. (It) is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. . .There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so. . .people won't feel insecure around you. . . -Williamson

To quote my long departed Father...
    "It doesn't get better - just more expensive"

Your priorities will always be second in her mind - especially when children are involved.. but, they are worth it in the long run....

I'm now to the stage where with kids grown we have to decide between ski trips and other kinds of trips.... I'll be happy with a 50/50 split.
    "Keep 'em Turning"
    Gregbo

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Duker
    I heart the $200 season pass. Buzz, Im feeling for you buddy, Ill try and log a 70+ days in your honor. Should be up there any day and would really like to ride with you when you do manage to get up here. Remember the mountains might be the only thing that will make you feel better at about the 8 month mark.
    Beaotch!!!

Sundays at the Beav are going to have to become a tradition again, if she lets me.

Sundays, Sundays, Sundays!

And yes, turns will be made with the likes of you, mighty Duker!!

She went as far as asking me where I think I am going to get the money to play at the MINI summit.
    I'll chip in a few to get you on two planks at Alta!

Quote Originally Posted by Telekóptero
    classic. is there a post preservation service for wife/girlfriend/skiing? there should be.

i almost said it. but same thing happened. lips couldn't quite form the words. "nnnggggg. . ."

And that my friends is the soul of skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E
    I don't think I'm going to get much in this year.
    ANY would be more than I got last year. Yep, zip, nada, zero days.

E - If you can find a weekday to take off this season, I'll buy you a Whitetail ticket for the day. I didn't ski a single day last season and I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone.

EP, General, E, Ice, Myles - we need to get a VA/MD maggot summit together this year. I find that a group meeting kinda thing has more sway with the wifey. Let's shoot for something either before the mid-January thaw or sometime in February!

Who's in?
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

DC meet sounds good to me. I usually am at snowshoe for a weekend or so during the early season. Any weekend at whitetail or liberty is good with me during Dec/Jan/Feb

Guess I'll be the lonely female voice who chimes into this testosterone-laden lament. At our house, I'm the one buying toys, planning trips, ready to jump in the car when it snows...regardless of whatever "chores" await at home.

And my hubby is a little worried that I steamrolled ahead and (a) got season passes, (b) got twintips at the ski swap 2 weeks ago and (c) want to go to Utah, Jackson, and CO this year. Oh, and I signed my kid up for the Killington ski club...practically ensuring we have to drive up almost every weekend. I've been sternly scolded to "tighten up on the spending" very recently.

That said, he loves to snowboard and is quite possibly even more gung ho than I am once actually *on* the mountain. But somebody has to be the voice of reason, and I guess he's right...we can't quite adopt ski bum status until the kid is raised and out of the house. Plus his frugal ways keep us feeling financially comfortable, and we're even lookin' at getting a house in VT in the near future! As somebody said, family life has its own rewards and it's well worth it.

But I still want to play and I want more toys dammit!!!!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

^ raises hand ^

Quote Originally Posted by snow_slider
    Who's in?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by powderwhore
    I'll chip in a few to get you on two planks at Alta!

I just may take you up on that one, my friend. Friday baby, Friday of the MINI.

Gun I can live without, specially with a kid coming. Anyone need a Taurus PT 911 9MM, with goodies?
    YES! By goodies, do you mean a night scope and a silencer?

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    Guess I'll be the lonely female voice who chimes into this testosterone-laden lament. At our house, I'm the one buying toys, planning trips, ready to jump in the car when it snows...regardless of whatever "chores" await at home.
    Are we married to the same guy? Heh. I'm willing to drive 8 hours to Snowshoe, but he isn't. And that's not really a trip I'd like to make with kids in tow. The behave better for him.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.