Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone have a remedy for general anxiety?

Not looking for prescriptions or anything, I've tried Xanax and the like before and yeah, they work but I don't NEED them nor do I care to go chat my doctor up for a prescription anytime soon.

So, does anyone have any OTC/herbal/other cures for general anxiety? i.e. for airplane flights, public speaking, etc. Really anything I would normally use a little "liquid courage" for but can't be caught smelling like Ted the alcoholic uncle while doing. Though I suppose flights don't fall into that category... regardless, enlighten me.
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

Start by working up your courage and asking AKPM for a date.

Two birds.

maybe chew some valerian root and get more exercise?

Copious masturbation?

Maybe its something a pill cant fix and you just need to learn to enjoy life and live in the moment?

Nah, just find some pills to pop.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Seems a little obvious, but...MARIJUANA!!!

This ^^^^. Dude, you have medical marijuana in Washington.

if its for a plane ride try Melatonin....helps to mellow you out and sleep through the ride.

Also, i used to be a slightly nervous flier until one trip on united the captain left the cockpit chatter open on channel 10 in the passengers headsets. he talked through and explained a lot of the taxi, take off, departure and even some of the causes of chop on takeoff. when i heard this while it was actually happening, i realize what is going on with the plane. This little bit of information took the edge off permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Copious masturbation?
    I'm a big fan...

when i'm anxious i go do a cardio work out. skinning, running, cycling, just hammer until you forget what it is you're anxious about. It makes me feel so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by belgian View Post
    public speaking
    If you do a bunch of public speaking or plan to do it, I found that getting experience in a supportive environment (i.e. Toastmasters) was what helped my anxiety. If you're still in school, maybe WWU has a course you could take?

I've been kickboxing/boxing for years and it has really helped.

Starting/joining a fight club is even better!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

For flights and stuff just do ganja edibles. Even Rx stuff (valium, xanax, etc.) is no problem IMO as long as you only use them on the plane.

The key to public speaking is practice, practice and more practice. You should know your presentation forwards, backwards and sideways at least one day ahead. If it's something impromptu, well, some people have it and some don't and no pill is going to help you.

search on awesume brownies or sft ...there was a thread last week

just remeber to push on thru the feelings of paranioa and you will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    For flights and stuff just do ganja edibles. Even Rx stuff (valium, xanax, etc.) is no problem IMO as long as you only use them on the plane.

The key to public speaking is practice, practice and more practice. You should know your presentation forwards, backwards and sideways at least one day ahead. If it's something impromptu, well, some people have it and some don't and no pill is going to help you.
    ding.ding.ding...

Klonapan [sp], or 'almost valium' is a pretty good product for flight anxiety, imho. Few beers, you're snoozing, but upon landing, you're good enough to drive...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

So, does anyone have any OTC/herbal/other cures for general anxiety? i.e. for airplane flights, public speaking, etc.
    You are describing specific and social phobias, respectively, rather than generalized anxiety (which is just a clinical term for worrying about just about anything and everything.)

Best treatment is psychotherapeutic, rather than pharmacologic, specifically something called exposure/response-prevention, or in essence an updated form of systematic desensitization. If its something you rarely encounter and can't be bothered to do the 'work', benzodiazepines are the most reasonable drug option, if used rarely.

airplane flights, public speaking, etc.
    Why do you think these things make you apprehensive?

for airplane flights, public speaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Why do you think these things make you apprehensive?
    If he screws up the public speaking part his passengers won't know what to do in the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

This is true I've found the more you know it and practice it, it's easier to ad lib. When I practice, I practice off of bullet points and say it a little differently each time. Then when I'm up there it all just flows out.

buspirone

LittleYellowFriend Guest
    Stop being a pussy...

just kidding,

Beta-Blockers are your answer man.

i.e. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propranolol"]Propranolol[/ame].

But they require a prescription so I guess you are SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by srsosbso View Post
    You are describing specific and social phobias, respectively, rather than generalized anxiety (which is just a clinical term for worrying about just about anything and everything.)

Best treatment is psychotherapeutic, rather than pharmacologic, specifically something called exposure/response-prevention, or in essence an updated form of systematic desensitization. If its something you rarely encounter and can't be bothered to do the 'work', benzodiazepines are the most reasonable drug option, if used rarely.
    goddammit ur sexy when you talk like that!

If you just need to take the edge off once in a while then try sublingual Ativan. It's a version of lorazepam (which is a benzodiazepine) that you put under your tongue. Any doctor will prescribe it since it's non-addictive (but you can go overboard and become dependent).
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Smeckler's Powder.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

back in the day you could smoke in the washroom on cross country flights if you kept hitting the flusher to suck out all the smoke

Having read "Fear & loathing" I would get a big cash advance to go on a HW course ,spend all that cash expense money on Ganga which at the time was for some reason cheaper in Toronto than Vancover and put all my expenses on visa ...make a little profit on the side eh?

"coming into los angeles bringing in a couple of keys don't touch my bags if you please mister customs man " ...who did that song ?