Lower Back Spasm

I am having a lower back Spasm that began Thursday night. Friday and Saturday was the worst pain I have ever had. Called a PA buddy and we rx-ed my some flexril. It helped some but has to go the urgent care on Saturday AM. Received a shot of synthetic morphine that seemed to take the edge off.

Lots of percocet over the weekend. The MD at urgent care RX some valium and now I have some holes in my memory of the weekend.

How long do these usually last. I have had smaller ones in the past but this one is hanging on and is extremely painful. I am sick of Valium and I am trying to work today. Heat pad and an upright chair seems to help some.

Dan

find a small Asian woman to walk up and down your back, or at least someone to dig a fist or elbow into the spasm. It'll make you see a parallel universe, but it will work. If it persists, you might wanna get checked for Lyme Disease.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Are you sure it's a spasm and not a ruptured or herniated disc? Usually the flexiril will help with easing the spasms. If it persists I would think about seeing a doc and getting an MRI done on that ASAP.

it could be either one. I have had disk issues and recenly beat a hernitated disk l4/l5, totally herniated and after 3 months of rehab and rest, all pain went away.
    I have now slightly herniated the same level, other side. Really killing me. Valium has given me instant relief but to cure the problem, use the search function and there are a lot of threads about excersices to do to strengthen the multiphidus and transverse muscles.
    I had great success with this machine called a met x. It is unreal how helpful it is.
    Good luck!!!

Two words: Medical Marijuana

Same thing happened to me several weeks ago. Percocet and Flexorwhatever didn't do much for me except whack me out. It started to feel better after 4 or 5 days, but didn't go away until I went to an ostiopath. Muscle manipulation is the way to go.