new ski area in alpine wy...

Hi,

These days, in this economic climate a new ski area popping up is about as likely as a luxury ski vacation for an unemployed assembly line worker. But to keep the rulers of Alpine WY informed that we as skiers who like to ski and like to ski great areas would be very interested in a community type ski area. One that offers great skiing without the luxury lodges, and fancy dinners. A simple chairlift to the top is all we need.

Alpine WY (30min form Jackson hole) has that opportunity. To start from the ground up with a simple but effective business plan. Build if for skiers and it will always thrive (as long as people ski). As we have seen this last couple of years ski areas built on the business model of real estate sales and luxury vacations are hurting, whereas smaller ski areas catering to actual skiers with skis, are doing better than ever.

Despite the economy the mountains are waiting and the skiers are always interested in the next big thing. There is a Facebook page that I will send to the city council meeting on the 19th of janurary if there is enough fans/group members. I would like to have 1000. Invite your friends, it can't hurt.

facebook "we want a ski area in alpine, WY" http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7848509&ref=ts

Cheers!

where is there more info? your facebook page should have at least a limited amount of info with stuff like the location of the resort (i know, Alpine, Wyoming, how bout some topos or detailed maps), the amount of snowfall the area receives, more detailed or better described pictures.
    how will this affect the local bc skiers?
    what is the background of the people starting this. for all i know Daniel Mudd could be behind the whole thing. It will require a minimal amount of professionalism to do this, even to just propose the idea.
    i don't live anywhere near there, but i wouldn't consider helping someone start a new area here without more info. with more info, i would likely be stoked.
    just sayin'

I agree, some more info would be needed to make an educated comment, especially the location and access.

Living in Alpine would get a whole lot more desirable, that's for sure.

A Silverton on the Snake would be pretty cool, though.

post more info if you want support.

Sounds like you are talking about that big open bowl in this pic

that would be sweet.
    plenty of ridgeline to travel as well for more b/c lift accessed fun laps.
    . . .

Agreed, please provide more details of the proposed zone.

Love your enthusiasm!

hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah aahahahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
    There is a Facebook page that I will send to the city council meeting on the 19th of janurary if there is enough fans/group members.
    Cheers!
    I wouldn't put too much faith in the Alpine town council. Research the debacle related to the Alpine sewer system. The town may go bankrupt over it.

Besides, the Forest Service is really who you would need to talk to anyway.

I passed it along, I think it would be great. Put more info up asap.
    sigless.

Would be great, this area supposedly gets just as much snow as the Tetons. Would definitely be awesome to have even just one lift up a ridge. That said, this idea has been hanging around for a long time. Goo Luck

There were rumors of an Alpine ski area floating around for the last decade. Tales of big Jackson money quietly acquiring land to make the next Targhee....mostly used to justify selling $150k/acre spec lots out in bum fuck egypt wyoming...nothing ever seems to come of this rumor. Are you starting from scratch or going off of an existing plan with existing forest service approval?
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-10-2010 at 12:02 PM.

I'm intrigued...

Definite potential when it comes to terrain and snow. But, its still Star Valley...

Why the picture of Ferry? Is that really what you want to access? That's a bold choice for a lift.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Are you starting from scratch or going off of an existing plan with existing forest service approval?
    When was the last time the Forest Service issued a permit for a new destination ski area on public land?

Early 80s? Cuchara/Panadero...only a couple hundred acres (never heard of it until just now). Has there been one since?

Isn't this the wrong way to go about it? Why doesn't someone put together a business plan, maps of the area and proposed lift, and a forest service permit application? Then, you can go on facebook and say "please write to the forest service in support of our proposal."

I think it's a good idea, especially if you built it as a simple skiers' mountain. The mountains around alpine look like good ski terrain, and I think this could be done without negatively impacting other uses.

" I got a garage, let's put on a show!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by powder_prophet View Post

That's a bold choice for a lift.
    true dat. i pesonally hope that never happens.ferry pk is a big and bad,humbling experience,that is also one big terrain trap at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    When was the last time the Forest Service issued a permit for a new destination ski area on public land?

Early 80s? Cuchara/Panadero...only a couple hundred acres (never heard of it until just now). Has there been one since?
    Ironically, it was in the same era when ski areas were about the ski experience and the environment, not just turning a quick profit.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/a...1&d=1263244906
    here are some shots of ferry.looking up at the east faces lots of spines,lookin down east face.this day was good.i like earning my turns here,it makes it kinda special

At the moment the FB page is an area for discussion. Perhaps to send in to the city of Alpine and the Forest Service to show that people are in support of the idea.
    There is a group recently mentioned in Powder mag that is trying to form a sustainable, skier centric ski area business model. Alpine is of interest and on the roster of such a place to propose this idea.

This group is collaborating to propose this biz model in many places including, MT,AK and in Alpine. Currently feasibility is being discussed. The legal issues and costs involved are all being worked out.

Hopefully when location and costs are finalized we as a group can propose this idea legitimatley to the the parties that are of concern. If you have anything to throw this way please do either here or on the We want a ski area in Alpine, WY FB page.
    Cheers!

Just giving this page a bump. It's been a while and I could use some ideas on how to keep this discussion going. I just want to keep the interest there and any ideas flowing.
    As far as some answers to previous questions,
    Location: Yet to be determined. But there are places however the area in general is pretty trappy and so just limiting it to Alpine would probably be cutting off some well suited land. Ferry peak would be a candidate but the backside would be likely a "Forbidden zone" only to be had in the spring by crazy guys. There are many places with good old fashioned skiing like blowout canyon, Indian creek, bear creek in the caribous, many places south of alpine in the etna area, etc.

Current BC users are probably going to benefit from this as their hike will be assisted in that area.

I spoke with a member of the mountain riders alliance in hope of them taking the reigns. However they are currently pursuing other locations.

Here is the FB page if there are things you want to know post them on there and I'll see what I can do.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7848509&ref=ts

Great mountains there, but Star Valley needs to be built up, majorly. There is not a lot there, I have driven through there & looks like a lot of slednecks live there, not skiers. That area could have a lot of potential, just gotta find major backers to make it a destination place. Skiing JH, the place is only packed & super busy during February & Christmas.

One of things that makes JH great, also is a big enemy, a lack people from a metro area. Star Valley has to make themselves a destination place, right now people view it as on the way from Jackson, WY to Evanston, WY. But that does not mean it can't be done.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinski View Post

Current BC users are probably going to benefit from this as their hike will be assisted in that area.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7848509&ref=ts
    I think that might be a stretch. If by benefit you mean easier access to skied out terrain, then yes. Many like the back country for un-tracked snow and solitude, not just because there doesn't happen to be an easier way up that particular mountain.

You've got Pine Creek down in Cokeville. How about putting some money into a pre-existing ski area?

Quote Originally Posted by wyosam View Post
    I think that might be a stretch. If by benefit you mean easier access to skied out terrain, then yes. Many like the back country for un-tracked snow and solitude, not just because there doesn't happen to be an easier way up that particular mountain.
    There will always be backcountry there, always. Just 1 area may have lift serve.

Idaho falls needs a ski area. There are roads that go right from IF to the caribous that would be super close. if not north of alpine somewhere would put it about1/2 hour closer to IF than Targhee and 1.5 hours closer than JH. Lots of people in IF. Many If'ers have weekend residences in that area.