Kuro or Bibby Pro?

I am looking to round off my quiver with a decent pow ski.

My current quiver:

Salomon Pocket Rocket 185 with dynafit for light touring
    Mantra 184 with dukes for inbounds and shorter touring
    189 obsethed with dukes for softer snow and sidecountry

I really like the obsethed, and it definitely is the ski I go to the most, however lately I am contemplating a pair of völkl Kuros or something like the Moment Bibby Pros or Rossi S7 for the big days.

My main criteria is something that will ease the quad burn on the deep days.

My stats:
    187cm/6.1
    182 lbs
    skill: I can handle myself, but not really hucking much. Been skiing for a long time 24 years, but no racing background.

Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by Nordic75; 01-09-2010 at 01:39 PM.

I love my 190 Bibbys in pow, they're totally effortless, but for true big days, why not get a full r/r like ARG, lotus 138, Donner party, spatula, etc?

Yeah, I agree^^. If you've already got the obsethed, might as well get something fat as hell for the deep pow. The bibby pro is an awesome ski, but there would probably be alot of overlap with your current quiver. All the skis squirrelmurphy sound great, especially the dps lotus 138. Also consider the praxis powder. Oh yeah, I think the kuro would also be pretty awesome, definitely reverse camber enough to get pivoty.

^^Thirded. If you already have the obsethed, you're best off going full on reverse/reverse or something very close to that shape for the deep days. 195 praxis pow or 189 pontoons seem to be the perfect addition to you quiver.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

196 Praxis Protests are the move here. If you want to go full R/R per the above, 195 Praxis Pows. WAY better construction than any Volkl ski, and better construction then Moment as well.

Trade off is the wait with Praxis. But you get the most bomber, ski pow ski out there in exchange for waiting.

FWIW - the Protests kill it in pow, but are less work and way easier on the legs on traverses and the like than the Pows. But Protests would offer some marginal overlap, so the R/R Praxis Powder Board is probably the call. Saw the 195s being pressed the other day - new graphic kills it.

I agree with the getting a R/R, but I'd encourage Lotus 138s in whichever length looks better to you. The 202s(at least Rocker 2, but 3 and 3.1 will be easier I'd think) are great skis but require you to ski them 'strongly' so the 192s might be better for you.

Or, if you want a super "easy" ski, it seems everybody on S7s says they are easy everywhere, including deep pow, and I wouldn't call them overlap with the Obsethed. I asked a patrol guy from the lift(he was below me setting poles) how there were today(pow day, I think, it's hard to remember what those are from this season) and his words were "almost too easy".

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    and better construction then Moment as well.
    Yeah I am gonna have to politely wave the bullshit flag there. Of all the smaller companies out there, Moments have been by far the most consistent and well made/finished I have seen.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Punch View Post
    Yeah I am gonna have to politely wave the bullshit flag there. Of all the smaller companies out there, Moments have been by far the most consistent and well made/finished I have seen.
    seconded. plus I think the donners ski better than the praxis pow. but thats just me.

Night Trains are a better comparison to Kuro's.

I've only skied Night Trains but they kill it in the fresh. If you go that route and don't want to ski in any kind of jibby fashion then mount -1 or -2.
    I ski therefore I am.

i will fourth(?) getting something more like the kuro, or a full R/R. bibby seems like a more versatile ski, but you have that covered with the obsethed.

and moment and praxis seem to be two of the most well constructed skis out there.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Here's a total thread hijack, but it's a little pertinent:

If you decide to go the reverse/reverse route as many have encouraged, I have an unmounted pair of Moment Donner Party's that I'm painfully thinking about parting with.

That is all. Carry on.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Thanks for the input. I don't have any experience with reverse sidecut skis. A lot of rocker is definitely a criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic75 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I don't have any experience with reverse sidecut skis. A lot of rocker is definitely a criteria.
    Unless you like making gs turns and carving perfect s shape turns down everything, rev/rev skis make skiing in any condition except bulletproof more fun. And steps up you game like whoa in terms of skiing trees and pow. You can surf, smear and turn any shape/length turn you want to make. Its amazing.

Caveman, I rec'd the 195 pows because he could probably find a pair used if he needed them quickly, and not have to wait or pay top dollar for a new ski from keith, although the protests might actually be worth it.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Punch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmurphy View Post
    seconded. plus I think the donners ski better than the praxis pow. but thats just me.
    Lets just agree they are both better than most skis. With that said, I think the Praxis coming out this year are near perfect.
    Last edited by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer; 01-10-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Can only comment on actually skiing the Kuro. Skiied with 2 people from mad river glen and both were skiing the moments. Very stable ski, super fast and looked very well made and durable. That being said, I have not acually skiied them, but they loved them and they were both chargers. Cnditions were pow, set up pow and utah crud at Alta.

Now the Kuro. Did not like the recurve (coninuous camber) in pow it was great. But on groomers it was very hooky in the tail and too planky. The toon I have feel almost as planky, but the taper creates no hookiness.
    Skiied two days in utah, one decent pow at the bird and one sidecountry at solitude cause inbounds was hard snow.

I can say super 7 is a great comprimise. Not as floaty as the toons, but as stable as a 9000 pound diesal truck. THey turn ridiculously quick, and float pretty well. They are a great all mountain ski and handle a foot of fresh very well. Will I prefer them over the toons in 2-4 feet of Utah/Wyoming/montana blower, I will let you know..........

So far for me nothing beats the toons on the retardly deep days, but I have the supers with dukes and plan to use them for leaving the resort in search of the goods.

SKis I dont like
    Kuros
    Praxis pow
    gotamas

Skis I like
    Toons
    Super 7's
    Wateas
    ARG
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)