A new sitski seat: video

The utter pain in the ass caused by having to get a whole new seat made deserved some kind of video to show the process. Unfourtunately I'm crap at taking video and missed out much of the process, it took 8 hours in total.

I thought some people might find this interesting. If not then I'm not refunding you 3 minutes of your life, you'd only use it to search google for "naked ski chicks" or "Ullr bribery" again.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/8493696"]A new ski seat on Vimeo[/ame]

I wish I'd created a video of the process for creating the seat insert that protects my ass when I had that made at the same place two years ago. That took five full days and included computer pressure mapping to ensure the weight and pressure is distributed properly.

I also missed out filming the fitting of homemade snow-brakes (just some aluminium angle bolted to the side of the seat to dig in) on the side of the seat to stop me hurtling into the trees/gapers if I do lose an edge and fall over. The first day I went skiing with the new seat I fell over and it was so smooth that I just took off for about 60ft down the slope until a snowblower stopped me. I decided snow-brakes would be a good idea after that.

I'll be up at Beaver Creek for first lift in the morning (2nd Jan), if you can't work out who I am then fuck off
    Last edited by SitSki13; 01-02-2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Smiley added to make me seem less of an asshole.

That was pretty interesting. I saw a pic of you in some magazine today. I didn't need to read the caption.
    Training for Alpental

Hey Andy, I enjoyed the video. I'm looking forward to more with you skiing now. Yeah I know I'm a malcontent.

Fucking inspirational video, Andy. Makes me want to get out there and rip it up.
    washu feeze drive me to firenze?

pretty sweet vid, thanks for sharing...airlines suck, i hope they are least helped cover the cost of a new seat for ya

Definitely interesting to the engineering geek in me. Pretty straight forward process. I know you said you misses a lot of the process, but is there any custom molding at any point where they contour it directly to you, or was the original seat itself molded to you so that an exact replica would be a perfect fit too? Since the chair is basically your boot, I would assume that some custom fit would be ideal.

You, sir are the mang, I hope those BA bastards are paying every cent. Need change for that .05?
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap