Thread: Banff

Question Banff

First Post :

Whats up all, I am going to be heading out and up to Banff later this year/early next year. Any reccomendations on runs/resorts? I see that Sunshine Village gets the most pow so I'm leaning towards that direction. I don't trust the big-magazine resort guides, so any input is welcome. Thanks.

Fuckin beatniks

Ski the area(s) that have snow when you get here? just a thought...

yes SSV will get more snow then lake louise, but the lake has less alpine (better on snow days)

i spent a day at ssv last spring. all i can tell you is it looks alot like the inside of a cloud.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

sunshine does get the snow but lake louise has way better terrain norquay blows dont bother. The lake has a good park if yur into that. Skip banff and move to fernie which has good snow good terrain
    just my 2

better night life in Banff - consider this if you are planning a season.
    Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of resume's in the bin without reading them.

that maybe true but your garunteed to get some sort of sexually transmitted disease

Quote Originally Posted by thedude
    that maybe true but your garunteed to get some sort of sexually transmitted disease
    you sir, are an idiot.
    Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of resume's in the bin without reading them.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Thanks ski beaver you beat me to it.

Hey Dude you can find a skank that'll leave you something to remember her/him by anywhere. If you occassionally think with your big head you can avoid those things fine. The only town bike I ride actually has two wheels.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by fez
    i spent a day at ssv last spring. all i can tell you is it looks alot like the inside of a cloud.
    That's funny and often so true.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by fez
    Silver lined?

ooooooooohhhhhhh - tough crowd!

it only hurts when i pee

So, Louise has tougher terrain? If both resorts have the same amount of snow, should I go to Louise? I've heard a lot about Delirium Dive, and I like the idea about needing a beacon and shovel to get through the gates. But for inbounds difficult terrain what it better? Sunshine or Louise?

Some of Delrium is a bit steeper and a bit longer pitches and has some gnarlier lines as well. Whitehorn 2 is way more accessible meaning quicker turnaround.
    Sunshine gets more natural snowfall than the Lake but the real issue with these pitches is windload. At the Lake Whitehorn 2 opened in early Dec last year and Delirium was Febuary or close to it. Without Delrium Sunshine lacks much in the way of real terrain. There's a new area called Wild West at Sunshine but it didn't open at all last year and needs a ton of snow in a spot that doesn't get it. More of a marketing ploy than skiable terrain to me.
    Besides these two spots on the respective mountains the Lake has way more challenging terrain beyond Whitehorn 2 and that other terrain is generally skiable even earlier.
    Blue sky day with good coverage Delirium and Sunshine are definitely worth a go. Most days the Lake will give you way more/better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatnik
    So, Louise has tougher terrain? If both resorts have the same amount of snow, should I go to Louise? I've heard a lot about Delirium Dive, and I like the idea about needing a beacon and shovel to get through the gates. But for inbounds difficult terrain what it better? Sunshine or Louise?
    As a loyal two season pass holder at SSV I would have to concede if same amount of snow, Louise would probably be better bet for snow and terrain. Yes Sunshine is mostly open alpine but isn't most of the good stuff at Louise on the backside.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

The Dive make's it worth hitting SSV for a day, but don't let the beacon/shovel requirement fool you. Anyone with a credit card can get guided runs in there. Lake Louise has far better terrain in general and if the snow co-operates, SSV can't compare.
    If you're staying in Banff, the time to skiing isn't much different (you drive a little further to the Lake,but spend about the same time in the Gondy at SSV). So, I'd ski SSV the first day, Lake Louise the second and decide from there.

Hit Louise if it get's half the snow of Sunshine. The wind does fantastic things up there and the terrain absolutely works Sunshine's (other than the dive)