BBT - Gallatin River TR (fishing related)

BBT = Big Brown Trout. and this has nothing to do with pluggin up the office crapper.

Was supposed to hook up with a buddy of mine for some fishing today. the initial plan was if it was warm we were going to take watermasters down beartrap canyon on the madison. the backup was take my buddy's drift boat down the Yellowstone. so i was kind of bummed when he bagged it on me this morning. I slacked around the house, broke a website i was looking at for a consulting job, spent an hour fixing that.

then said fuck it. I got new waders the other day and im going to go play in the river dammit.

just drove out to the gallatin just outside four-corners, one of the closest fishing accesses from bozeman. I saw tons of bugs coming off, but no risig fish. started chucking streamers into some of the holes, but was getting nowhere. walked up the river and found this section, probably a 400 yd long slick. and fish were rising EVERYWHERE. They were nosing up, showing their fins, just chowing. watched for a couple minutes and saw tiny yellow mayflies or even tinier midges. god i hate fishing tiny dry flys. but i did happen to have some good matches for these so tied on one of each.

first cast nothing, no big deal, i do a lot of fishing but not always alot of catching.

second cast, drifted for a couple feet and wham, it was on. got a nice 15" brown trout. and damn was it on. I had the entire spot to myself, not another person in site. and for 3 hours i probably averaged a fish every 5 min. never went more than 10 min without one. a couple times i got a fish every cast for 3 or 4 casts from the same hole. No hogs, not even any pigs. best fish was probably about 20", tip of index finger to elbow. i had 400 yards of very productive water to myself for 3 hours. best day of dry fly fishing of my life. and tiny drys at that. Best part was a 17" brown coming completely out of the water on the take. never seen anything like it in my life.

after about 3 hours, it slowed way down. fish were still hitting the surface, but the mayflies they were eating had gotten even smaller and i wasnt catching any. then 2 more people showed up and it was time to go to a keg party.

great day until i had to see the score of the sox game!!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

nice fez! I may have to go out tomorrow to shed some of this moving anxiety i have been having. What time where they rising?

started around 3-3:30.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin