Another reason to rely only on GPS and not maps

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_stranded_motorists

Didn't something like this happen a few years back to a family in Utah. They almost drove off a cliff in the desert because the GPS told them where to go. Does anyone use maps anymore?

lol! Mapquest sends people past my house sometimes. Got home two nights ago to a jeep wrangler stuck in the trail past my house (I only keep the trail open one way in the winter, the other route beats the shit out of my plow/truck) who went a grand total of 50' before becoming bogged down in drifted snow. Dude had street tires on 9" wide rims. From the start of the real drift to the jeep couldn't have been more than 3 feet. Dude must have eaten the steering wheel.

but, but technology is supposed to save us all...

Here i'll fix it for you:

Does anyone use common sense anymore?

^^^ What is this common sense you speak of? I blame it on people being lazy fucks. But then again I geuss you could say they lack common sense because of their laziness.

"Starry Bush-Rhoads"? Seriously?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Wow people never fail to impress me with their stupidity. When you turn down Forest Service Rd 28 and there's 1.5ft of snow on said road, shouldn't you maybe consider turning around?

Wow.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

A few years ago an angry guy came to my office demanding lift tickets for him and his family because he lost out on a day of skiing because the google gave him directions to our resort on a road that's closed in the winter.

I pulled up the area map we had on our website that clearly showed the road was closed during the winter, then showed him the Utah highway map that says the road is closed during the winter.

He said he was going to sue the google for lift tickets and other damages as he left my office. Not sure how that worked out for him.

Heh. I fought a big fire up on that road about ten years back.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Around here there have been at least three vehicles that turned onto train tracks and got hit by trains because their gps told them to do it. I was on one of those trains and a 65 minute ride turned into 7 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Around here there have been at least three vehicles that turned onto train tracks and got hit by trains because their gps told them to do it. I was on one of those trains and a 65 minute ride turned into 7 hours.
    Wow. Now THAT kind of blind faith could ONLY happen on the east coast..

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    Wow people never fail to impress me with their stupidity. When you turn down Forest Service Rd 28 and there's 1.5ft of snow on said road, shouldn't you maybe consider turning around?

Wow.
    NO FUCKING WAY to turning around. My GPS said go this way so that's where I'm going.

I love nothing more than a good map spread out before me, a miniature version of a world full of possibilities. I like those books of detailed maps for each state that have all the FS/BLM/etc. roads and so on. I like taking vehicles not designed for off road travel down said roads. Even better when the roads are closed for the season.

Not dead yet. Clearly I just need a GPS to fix that problem.
    If you're a relatively moral, ethical person, there's no inherent drive to kiss ass and beg for forgiveness and promise to never do it again, which is what mostly goes on in church. -YetiMan