Thule T2 bike rack on a Subaru Legacy ('05-'09)?

Anyone know if a '05-'09 Subaru Legacy wagon with OEM hitch will fit at Thule T2 (or other tray type) bike rack without ground clearance issues?

I'm car shopping, and I hear that some people have had issues with fitting hitch-mount bike racks on the legacy/outbacks. It's pretty close to being a showstopper for me if the vehicle can't fit a decent hitch rack (roof mounted bike racks are out in my household for various reasons).

I have the T2 on a audi TT. fits that with much clearance issues.

To tag along, anyone know how these will do with a VW Eurovan Camper? I am a little skeptical, but http://bikeintelligencer.com/ says it works well.

On that site, there are numerous comments about the T2 failing and bikes coming off the rack (entitled "Thule responds: No recall planned" archived under Equipment Reviews). Anyone else aware of that issue? Is there another rack that you feel is better than the Thule, like the Yakima or the Saris? What about the Yakima Stick Up ($280) vs. the HoldUP ($415).

Are tray systems the only ones that I should even really consider? From a clearance point of view, the old school DoubleDown design (racks that hold the top tube and have no lower support) is appealing, but all of the old racks I am familiar with led to swaying and bikes banging together.

Sorry for tagging on, but maybe some of this will be helpful to Der Jaeger as well.
    Last edited by alembical; 12-28-2009 at 04:13 PM.

I have an '05 Legacy GT wagon with an 1 1/8" Hidden Hitch receiver and I use a T2. I will drag the back end going in and out of steeper driveways and such if I don't take it on a big enough angle. Just to be clear, the hitch drags, not the rack.

Here's a link that shows how it should be done. Unfortunately, doing it this way takes a level of commitment I don't possess.

I also have a 2000 Outback with the factory receiver hitch; as it rides higher than the GT, hitch ground clearance is generally not a concern.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

i have a friend who has one on his prius, if that helps, no problem.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    Here's a link that shows how it should be done. Unfortunately, doing it this way takes a level of commitment I don't possess.
    Yeah, I saw that... and that nobody in the US seems to sell that particular hitch. Which is unfortunate because I would be fine with going to the effort of fitting it. If anyone knows a supplier, I'd love to hear the details.

Quote Originally Posted by alembical View Post
    On that site, there are numerous comments about the T2 failing and bikes coming off the rack (entitled "Thule responds: No recall planned" archived under Equipment Reviews). Anyone else aware of that issue?
    The issue they're referring to is that the brackets can come loose over time and can work their way off the end of the rack. It is easily solved with a bolt that acts as a stopper to prevent the brackets from sliding past the end.

I've got an '05 Legacy wagon. I tried to get my hands on one of those Aussie hitches, but never had any luck. I've got a Curt (which appears to be the same as the HH and the UHaul hitch). In Utah I had some issues with the hitch and connector bar on the rack scraping, but nothing major and it was never more than a minor annoyance. Entrances are mellower here, so I almost never scrape. As IG mentioned, it's only the hitch itself or the solid support bar that inserts into the hitch that scrape.

Having said that, I'd really recommend getting the factory hitch they sell for the Outback if you can afford it. It sits much higher and looks much, much cleaner. The aftermarket hitch attaches to the toe loop, below it, so it hangs a good couple of inches lower than the OEM hitch. Hidden Hitch also used to make a round-bar version of their hitch that mounted higher. I could never find one, and needed a cheap hitch, so I got the current version.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I have an '05 Legacy GT wagon with an 1 1/8" Hidden Hitch receiver and I use a T2. I will drag the back end going in and out of steeper driveways and such if I don't take it on a big enough angle. Just to be clear, the hitch drags, not the rack.

we have a '06 outback with hidden hitch and a T2 as well, and have the same dragging issue on steep stuff. Generally not an problem though. We LOVE the T2 set-up and can't recommend it enough.

And the hubby installed the hidden hitch himself. Took about 30 minutes and a big long wrench. He said it was pretty easy.

On that site, there are numerous comments about the T2 failing and bikes coming off the rack (entitled "Thule responds: No recall planned" archived under Equipment Reviews). Anyone else aware of that issue? Is there another rack that you feel is better than the Thule, like the Yakima or the Saris? What about the Yakima Stick Up ($280) vs. the HoldUP ($415)..
    yes..happened to me. lost my brand new (was coming back from her maiden ride) on the freeway.

that's the day I traded my WRX in for a Honda Element and have been carrying my bikes inside ever since.

THAT IS SCARY!

To the OP- I use a T2 and love it, on my Toyota Tundra. I've dragged it on several occasions here in the burbs of SLC. My old legacy had clearance issues without a hitch. I'm sure it can be done but I wouldn't want to deal with that combination.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    yes..happened to me. lost my brand new (was coming back from her maiden ride) on the freeway.

that's the day I traded my WRX in for a Honda Element and have been carrying my bikes inside ever since.
    Ouch. I've had my bike come off a rack before too. Not pretty.

Is that sportworks model the same as the other T2 racks? Mine didn't have any of that SportWorks branding on it. The other issue with the T2 [ame="http://oldschool.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2550919"]is discussed here[/ame].

Quote Originally Posted by DerJaeger View Post
    Ouch. I've had my bike come off a rack before too. Not pretty.

Is that sportworks model the same as the other T2 racks? Mine didn't have any of that SportWorks branding on it. The other issue with the T2 is discussed here.
    Believe it or not, this was a replacement for a broken Sportworks Transporter rack I had. I got this rack just as Sportworks was getting acquired by Thule - that year the T2 racks were still branded as Sportworks - the year after that it was Thule. Here are some pictures of the broken Sportworks. The retaining ratchet arm failed - that happened on my way to North Star at Tahoe. luckily for me, the transporter had these big front wheel trays - so my bike was still hanging by it's tires when the failure happened - but my bars were dragging on the pavement.

I have an 08 Legacy Wagon and can confirm the clearance issues. Has made us consider getting even a Forester which has 4" more clearance. In the end, we purchased a North Shore Rack which goes up, instead of out.

Also, you can see a bit of the steel receiver mount at the bottom, we cut that off so it is flush with the rack interface and have had a lot fewer clearance problems since.

Gotham, are you satisfied with your North Shore Rack? I think I am going to get one when they have more in stock.

Has anyone tried the NorthShore racks with cyclocross bikes or rigid 29rs? According to their website, they are designed for MTB bikes, but I am curious if cross bikes would work on their setup. I am looking for something that can do both and these racks appeal to me, if they can do that.

Another rack to consider along with the T2 and Yakima is the Kuat NV. I checked it out this past weekend and it is a real nice product. Unfortunately for me, I could not open the tailgate on my Eurovan with it installed, which was a deal breaker.

To tag along, anyone know how these will do with a VW Eurovan Camper? I am a little skeptical, but http://bikeintelligencer.com/ says it works well...
    I have a T2 + 2 (to carry four bikes) on an '02 Eurovan Weekender. It works excellent and I've only had clearance issues with the +2 extender installed on steep/abrupt transitions.

Thanks for posting the failure link; I will check those connections! The only downside to this rack is you need a cable lock to securely lock bikes on. I have the lock cylinders but any bike with a QR front hub can be taken off in about 10 seconds. No big deal for me to put a cable on when I need it. I love the speed and simplicity of the rack, no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I have a T2 + 2 (to carry four bikes) on an '02 Eurovan Weekender. It works excellent and I've only had clearance issues with the +2 extender installed on steep/abrupt transitions.

Thanks for posting the failure link; I will check those connections! The only downside to this rack is you need a cable lock to securely lock bikes on. I have the lock cylinders but any bike with a QR front hub can be taken off in about 10 seconds. No big deal for me to put a cable on when I need it. I love the speed and simplicity of the rack, no regrets.
    Radair,

Can you lift the tailgate and access the back? I tried the Kuat and the Yakima and could not access the back with either. The Yak was real close. The only thing stopping it was this little safety nub. I am contemplating buying the Yak and cutting the nub off.

Radair,

Can you lift the tailgate and access the back? ...
    Yes, no problem as long as bikes are not on the rack.

Thanks everyone. Ended up going with the T2 after having mounted it, the Yakima and the Kuat on my Eurovan. Seemed to be the best match for the vehicle. Scrapping has not really been an issue yet and I can still access the back tailgate.