Cool Utah next week: What do Y’all do for fun out there?

Heya,

Me and Redskea will be driving through Utah next week, And we’re wondering if you guys can recommend some fun stuff to see and do. We can stay for at least a few days, a week max.

She and I will be carrying bikes, skis, climbing gear and backpacking gear, but we have no real plans. This will be our first time there. So; what is the absolute best Utah has to offer to a couple of tourists for a few days? Beautiful spots with dog-friendly hiking would be especially great.

If anyone wants to hook up for some day hikes or whatnot, that would be way cool.

Maybe a day or two in Salt Lake. Possibly see some cultural city-type stuff. I’d like to check out Lcc and Alta, even if there isn’t any snow yet. I’m pretty sure We’ll head out to Moab and do some bike riding, and since we’re there, I hear that arches park is pretty cool.

Then continue on to Tahoe from there.

Thanks
    G

Last edited by Geoff; 10-16-2004 at 04:35 AM.

Moab: Climb Castleton Tower/Kor Ingalls/5.9 four pitches (dog friendly area)
    Delicate Arch is a quick hike in Arches and very cool.
    Potash road has an abundance of zero approach rock routes. Literally right off the road.
    Continue down Potash road for about 5 miles to a sign for another very cool and dog friendly arch. Can't remember the name. Hike about a mile to it.

In SLC you can hike with your pooch up to Desolation Lake or Dog Lake in Mill Creek Canyon. Or run/bike up there as well. If the weather sucks, you can walk the pipeline trail in Millcreek (south facing). Dog friendly hiking at Red Butte by the U of U campus in the foothills.

If you come to SLC you might be skiing with the weather coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead

In SLC you can hike with your pooch up to Desolation Lake or Dog Lake in Mill Creek Canyon. Or run/bike up there as well.
    Desolation Lake is in BCC drainage= no dogs I have nothing else to contribute.

millcreek now has a leash law--on leash even days --off on odd. $2.25 to get out of there too. it's hard to find good places to go with mans best friend around here.

edit: may be skiing monday or tuesday at alta. btw, no dogs in lcc either. even if you keep them in the car you'll still get the ticket.
    Last edited by AltaPowderDaze; 10-16-2004 at 04:07 PM.

Yeah, the dog rules are a bit cumbersome around here, until you remember that the water in Big and Little Cottonwood creeks is coming out of taps like 4 hours after it gets to the mouth of the canyons... Gotta keep it clean...

Best bet for a hike & climbing with your K9 buddies is going to be Ferguson Canyon, just south of the BCC entrance. PM for directions if you want them, it's a great place with some good rock climbing up there too.

You can borrow my copy of "Climbing the Wasatch" while you're here if you want, it's got the info on all the routes up Ferguson.

From Moab head south towards Blanding on 191. hit 95 west towards Hanksville. if you are interested in slot canyons on this route, pm me. at the turn off a fe wmiles before Natural Bridges NM, you can head south and park at the ranger station and hike Kane Gulch to the grand Gulch to check out some arches and ruins.

In Hanksville, best bet to eat is at Blondies. For breakfast, The Red Rock. Head west out of Hanksville towards Capitol Reef NP. If you would like an arduous hike to the top of a mes and check out a really cool view, just before Caineville, park at the cement mixer and look for a foot path heading up and up and up. for more info, pm me.

There are some cool hikes in CP i cannot think of right now. From loa/Torrey area, you can head towards Monroe and take a soak at Mystic hot Springs. Or head to Escalante. From Escalante keep heading west through Bryce Canyon, Red Canyon and off to Panguitch. Here, bang a left and heads towards Bryan Head and check out, oh damn, forgot the name of the NM there. I know people have talked about the biking around this area. Supposed to be killer!

Head north on 15 and if its snowing, head east out of Beaver and up towards the Tushars...check out Tracks video for the skiing opps.

Continuing on to Tahoe, take the off the beaten path through Great Basin National Park and tackle Wheeler Peak. highest point in Nevada. You can park high. I believe the elevation gain is only 3000'. Form there, head north a bit and go to the Ruby's. By this time, you should be able to BC ski.

And then step on the pedal and head to Reno and beautiful Lake tahoe.

Damn...maybe you should spend a few weeks in Utah. peace
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Thanks for the info, sounds like there's a lot of good stuff to do down there.
    Not sure how long I've got to play. I have to stay out of Canada while waiting for my next visa then race back as soon as I get it for the start of the season. (It's puking right now so I'm real excited about the start of the season )
    'I dare to dream and differ from the hollow lies'

Quote Originally Posted by UTdave
    Desolation Lake is in BCC drainage= no dogs I have nothing else to contribute.

He's right. I forgot. Sorry about the bad beta. SLC sucks for dogs.

I'm a little too drunkk to contribute to this thread beyond saying SLC does not suck for dogs. There're gobs of shit closer to SLC than any other metro area in the country. PM me for mo'.

Bump for the 4:30 tram on sunday @ snowbird.

Bump again.
    Driving South in 2 days.
    Anywhere with good/OK touring yet? Anyone want to hook up and go touring next week? I'm bringing avi gear + avi dog + touring gear.
    'I dare to dream and differ from the hollow lies'

plenty of good touring. look at a few of the recent utah threads. i'll be out most days early in the morning. i can show you around if our times match up.

edit: the dog may be a problem for where i'm going. ask trackhead how the uintas are looking. it think they allow dogs.