Post Banff or Whistler

I scored a year’s work permit to Canada and came with the lofty idea that I would finally get a real job. That idea is fading and it looks like I’m doing yet another ski season. My dilemma is this. I have already spent a season in Whistler but I have a place to crash to start the season at least, I know how the system works etc. Or do I head to Banff and the unknown to experience a different place.. Either place I’ll probably end up working as a shop tech as I don’t have the qualifications for Patrol and I hate teaching skiing….at least after the first 2 weeks…..before replying have a look at www.braich.demon.co.uk unless you already know how I’ve been wasting my days for the last 6 seasons!

Whistler!!!

I've got friends who've done both and they'd take Whistler

Since you've already done the Whistler thang, I'd say Banff. You can always sleep in the truck until you find a place to live - which, given the size of the town, shouldn't be too hard.

Edited to make my ESOL teacher proud...

Nelson, you foo.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I Knew You wouldn't be able to turn to the dark side. You're just too young to wear a suit and tie, Tom.

Go someplace you haven't been yet.

I hear the Alberta mags are good peoples, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    I hear the Alberta mags are good peoples, too.
    I think you have been misled.

No snow here yet, although it looks as though that is going to change in the next 2 or 3 days.
    Recently overheard: "Hey Ralph, what were you drinking that time that you set your face on fire?"

I guess Banff just because its new, but whistler is awesome.... so its up to you.

Never been to Banff? I think the eastern side of the rocks is worth checking out. You could probably find enough around here to amuse yourself and, to keep Busters suggestion alive, you'd be pretty close to Nelson, Fernie, Golden, Rogers Pass, Castle, Revelstoke........

Banff...

..or go to Whistler for the 1st half of the season and then head out here later on after we actually have a decent snowpack.

Lets see, teamdirt and powslut live in banff. therefore if you want to stay out of jail or out of more serious trouble i would recommend whistler
    smoke crack and worship satan

hmm, tough one. i think the adrenaline rush won't be the same in interior bc as it would be in banff or whistler. well, after years in cham, i don't know if any place there would do, but anyways...

there are some unbelievably picturesque, backcountry lines in the banff area that i'd love to see you take on.

Weather Forecast for Banff Townsite:

Text Forecast from Environment Canada
    Banff: Issued 5.00 AM MDT Friday 15 October 2004
    Today .. Cloudy with sunny periods. Fog patches early this morning. High 8.
    Tonight .. Periods of rain changing to snow overnight. Low zero.
    Saturday .. Snow. Amount 5 to 10 cm. High 1.
    Sunday .. Cloudy. Low minus 3. High zero.
    Monday .. Cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 7. High zero.
    Tuesday .. Cloudy. Low minus 4. High plus 5.

Normals for the period .. Low minus 1. High 10.

Forecast for Whistler Alpine:

Whistler - Blackcomb.
    Today..Cloudy with sunny periods. Periods of light rain developing this afternoon. Alpine high 6. Rainfall amounts trace to 1 mm.
    Freezing level 2700 metres. Mountain top winds light and variable becoming south 10 km/h near midday.
    Tonight..Periods of light rain. Alpine low zero. Rainfall amounts 1 to 3 mm. Freezing level 2300 metres. Mountain top winds south 10 km/h becoming light and variable this evening.
    Saturday..60 percent chance of wet flurries in the morning then cloudy with sunny periods. Showers in the evening. Alpine high 3.
    Snowfall accumulation trace. Freezing level 1700 metres. Mountain top winds light and variable becoming north 10 km/h in the morning.

5 Day Trend..A trough of low pressure will bring scattered showers or flurries and lower the freezing level to below mountain tops.

Sunday.. Cloudy. 70 percent chance of showers. Rainfall amounts trace. Freezing level 2000 metres.
    Monday.. Cloudy. 70 percent chance of wet flurries. Snowfall accumulation trace. Freezing level 1800 metres.
    Tuesday.. A mix of sun and cloud. 40 percent chance of flurries.
    Snowfall accumulation trace. Freezing level 1500 metres.

Here's what Sunshine looks like today:

http://www.skibanff.com/skicam/newcam/cam1_htel.jpg

I'd say start the season in Whistler....
    Have you ever gone to Big White/Sun Peaks... growing fast and better town options....
    "Keep 'em Turning"
    Gregbo

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate
    Lets see, teamdirt and powslut live in banff. therefore if you want to stay out of jail or out of more serious trouble i would recommend whistler
    Hmmmmm Hard to argue that logic.....just ask woodsy.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy