Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marmot or Patagonia? Which Jacket is better?

I'm looking at a new jacket and pant setup this year and am torn between Patagonia Powder Bowl and Marmot Mainline. Any advice or experience would be highly appreciated!

Brandwise... generally Patagucci. They certainly have a better warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

what ever fits you better?

arm length

bottom hem?

neck/chin coverage?

I have the Patagucci Powder Bowl jacket from last year, wore it 30+ days, and it still pretty much looks new. Well-made, warm, with convenient pockets. But the hood doesn't work all that well with a helmet. I can't turn my head. Also the zipper is a little irritating when I zip the jacket up all the way.

I have a couple Marmot jackets, too, and the pockets aren't as convenient, though the hoods are better.

Thanks for the input. For whatever reason, none of the ski shops stock the Marmot jacket that I'm looking at... at least not in anything but an XXL So it's not going to be possible to try before buying (unless I go with the Powder Bowl).

Anyone have a bad experience with Marmot jackets/pants?

What mntlion said

I have a set of Patagonia Primo pants and jacket...both goretex shells...I have skied them for 3 years, about 35 days a year....they are both in great condition and look like they could last another 5. Obviously, not the same model as you are looking at, but as far as build quality....top notch in my experience.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I have a Marmot Alpinist from last year. It is excellent. It's been in rain, snow, in a pack, and under a pack. It's been filthy and washed. Water still beads up and it looks as good as new. That said, if I were choose based only on brand, i would choose Patagonia because of the warranty. I would also recommend trying the jackets on. Marmot and Patagonia have significantly different fits on different models.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 12-14-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Marmot has a lifetime warranty against manufacture defects.

Also, new is the ability to warranty your products yourself from the comfort of your own home. It's still in beta, but this is a great feature. Now you no longer have to take your stuff back to the dealer. You can track it all online.

https://warranty.marmot.com/

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post

Also, new is the ability to warranty your products yourself from the comfort of your own home. It's still in beta, but this is a great feature. Now you no longer have to take your stuff back to the dealer. You can track it all online.

That's cool.

I just had a great experience with a Marmot warranty. Good people to deal with and they went out of their way to be accommodating. My replacement jacket happened to be a Mainline and it is a very nice jacket - good pockets and cut well for movement.

pretty tough to lose. i own a few jckts from both companies and they've never failed.

fit and small features would be the thing to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post

Ditto what HC said about this being cool.

However, Marmot's warranty is for "the (reasonable) lifetime of the product." That doesn't cover as long as Patagonia's "Iron Clad Guarantee." I remember somebody on here or TTips trying to warranty some Marmot gloves after a few years (can't remember exact timeline, but it was something like 3-5 years) and Marmot denied the warranty claim.

Obviously experiences vary, but I just wanted to mention that. I've been pretty happy with the Marmot products I've owned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I love my powder bowl jacket. Patagonia has always been awesome even when the warranty was not a 'manufacturer defect'

Patagonia is still a true independent company, not part of a large group. Yvon Chouinard is also a cool guy and treats people well.

That steers me in the direction of Patagonia, and then I check the product. I have a bunch of their clothing, and it's all been rock solid and taken abuse well. It used to be stupidly expensive in Canada, but prices are now very competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Patagonia has always been awesome even when the warranty was not a 'manufacturer defect'
    This is especially true if you have a Patagonia store in your area. 9 times out of 10, if you go in ask them to send your gear back to be fixed, the sales person will give you a brand new whatever or a gift card for the replacement value.
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

Gore-tex Consideration

I agree-Pataguch is a great company and they make durable gear. I've had several of their "bomb-proof" hard shells, 75% of my skiing is touring. I've found Patagonia stuff to not breath very well-not well enough for my sweaty ass on a storm day while touring.

I'm using a Marmot Gore Tex shell and really like it. The pockets are in the right place for a pack, pit zips, pro-shell gore tex, great hood, super breathable, but also super storm proof.

Quote Originally Posted by johngenx View Post
    Patagonia is still a true independent company, not part of a large group. Yvon Chouinard is also a cool guy and treats people well.

That steers me in the direction of Patagonia, and then I check the product. I have a bunch of their clothing, and it's all been rock solid and taken abuse well. It used to be stupidly expensive in Canada, but prices are now very competitive.

Thanks for all the input. I had a chance to try on the Powder Bowl and feel like I'm right between sizes: medium is a little too big, but small would be snug with a warm midlayer. I haven't been able to find a Marmot jacket in stock anywhere... how does their fit compare... slim, loose, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by freeBase View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I had a chance to try on the Powder Bowl and feel like I'm right between sizes: medium is a little too big, but small would be snug with a warm midlayer. I haven't been able to find a Marmot jacket in stock anywhere... how does their fit compare... slim, loose, etc.?
    sounds like you are exactly my size- medium powder bowl was too big, small was too small.
    i went with a medium marmot la grave and its absolutely perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip Coffin View Post
    sounds like you are exactly my size- medium powder bowl was too big, small was too small.
    i went with a medium marmot la grave and its absolutely perfect.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I think I'm going to order the Marmot in MED. and simply return it if I don't like it better than the Powder Bowl.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

How does the marmot la grave jacket compare to the alpinist jacket? I know both are indicated for snow sports, the alpinist i believe is longer and is a gore-tex pro hardshell vs. the gore-tex performance shell of the la grave.

Go Flylow instead.
    Small Colorado company that makes awesome clothing. Their Kung Fu jacket is excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

I had an insulated powder bowl that was a little too small for me. Very durable, well made jacket and I probably wouldve kept it had it fit a little better. My one complaint with the insulated and regular powder bowl jackets are that they're very heavy (47 oz insulated, like 39oz non insulated i think - the primo is 23 oz) I personally feel like I can move a lot better with a lighter shell compared to a heavier one. The other little feature I like about patagonia jackets and i think TNF and Cloudveil also have it is little straps to fasten your powder skirt to your pants. It just annoys me when they ride up and this is a pretty good solution to the problem...you could probably make your own to put on the marmot if you wanted to though.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

So I ended up with a Marmot Mainline jacket and Railside pant. The medium fit a little better than the patagonia. Seems to be well built and a lot lighter weight than the Powder Bowl.

One BIG complaint I have with Marmot is that their website is not indicative of what is available in stores across the US online and physical shops (regardless of what they say their retailers have in stock). They list half of the jackets on their website as "NEW for this season", but it was nearly impossible to find this jacket (and it was actually my 3rd choice and not the color I wanted). I followed the links to their IN-Stock retailers, only to have them tell me that they don't carry what I was looking for. I called Marmot several times and they told me that they won't be manufacturing anymore jackets/pants until next season and all the stores must be sold out. 3 of your top "NEW" ski jackets sold out in almost every color and every size? Before X-mas? I can't stand it when companies advertise "NEW" products that you can't buy and the company has no intention of making more. Ugggghhhhhhh!

you need to listen to more nickleback bro.