Page 33 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mt_wilson View Post
    Also a big fan of the Japanese whiskys, Yamazaki 12 is my favorite, hard to get though. Nikka 12 is a really fine bottle also as is hibiki. Hakushu is good but not really what I look for, kind of iodine/seaweed scotchy thing going on....
    Nikka Coffey Grain (corn) Whisky.. Nectar of the gods. Employee brought me two bottles from Hong Kong. By far the best corn whisky I've experienced.

I'll be in Kentucky for three weeks in June: best distilleries? Best shuttle/tour service for the Bourbon Trail? I'll have probably 2-3 days to do assorted bourbon activities and I'm stoked for it!

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    I'll be in Kentucky for three weeks in June: best distilleries? Best shuttle/tour service for the Bourbon Trail? I'll have probably 2-3 days to do assorted bourbon activities and I'm stoked for it!
    I'm a big fan of Woodford Reserve, gorgeous grounds, really cool activities (check their calendar), and of course outstanding bourbon.

The surrounding area of Midway (nice little downtown) and Woodford County are really nice too - the most gorgeous horse estates in the world and miles of beautiful roads. Get a sandwich at the gourmet sandwich shop Wallace Station and if you're looking for an amazing dinner do their sister restaurant, James Beard nominated Holly Hill Inn. Get a nice car and enjoy getting lost in the area.

Thoroughbred racing won't be happening but a trip to Keeneland is well worth it - the most beautiful horse track in the country.

My other two favorite distilleries are Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace.
    I still call it The Jake.

Perfect, Bmills, thank you! While I'm not a horse aficionado by any means, I really enjoyed Seabiscuit and Secretariat (the books), so I'll have to do some more horse research too. Forgot about that when I was distracted by the bourbon.

Oh, and special bourbon gifts? I've heard Jack or Makers will let you get a custom label or something. Thinking of wedding presents for friends, etc.

Sounds great. Never having been there, I'd look to the Buffalo Trace Distillery, and maybe Jim Beam too.

Perfect, Bmills, thank you! While I'm not a horse aficionado by any means, I really enjoyed Seabiscuit and Secretariat (the books), so I'll have to do some more horse research too. Forgot about that when I was distracted by the bourbon.

Oh, and special bourbon gifts? I've heard Jack or Makers will let you get a custom label or something. Thinking of wedding presents for friends, etc.
    Many of the distilleries will do custom labels for you. If it were me though, I'd opt for the custom engraved bottle of Woodford that you can pick up at The Party Source in Belleview, KY (right across the Ohio from Cincinnati).

https://www.thepartysource.com/expre...m.php?id=30804

Party Source is Gods gift to booze lovers. It's the size of a super wal mart and has everything you could ask for, from a cooking school to a Tasting Library where you can sample any liquor they sell and even some that they're out of for purchase (read: really rare bourbons). Their bourbon selection is usually the best in the state.

Also, down the street is the Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar which is a really cool small spot that has over 100 bourbons on the menu.

Oh, and Party Source is a stop on the Bourbon Trail too - their really modern distillery, New Riff, opened on property a few years ago.

Only an hour or so north of Lexington.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I'm not sure which batch you tried but if you or anyone is looking for a fantastic, and really unique bottle try and find the 3rd release of Jefferson's Ocean. It's much less intense than the first two attempts and tastes like salted caramel.

At $60 a bottle I think you'd be hard pressed to find as good of a deal on some really tasty and unique bourbon these days.
    Total Wine had the Ocean for ~$75, so I went with Angel's Envy and am really digging it. Carmel-y flavors...tasty. And thanks for the additional info Bmills & Meadow Skipper, I'll be sure to post up some pics as I'm traveling around.

The finest bourbon I have tasted. Yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434125999.851448.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	167736
    The bourbon list at Doc Crows, in Louisville. Ridiculous!

Did the Evan Williams Experience in Louisville last weekend, Heaven Hill VIP tour tomorrow (through a friend's hookup).

Had a good time doing the Heaven Hill distillery tour a few weeks ago. Great tour and decent tastings at the end.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435723792.563256.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	167990

Good stuff, glad you had fun! Really a cool experience.

Btw, I can smell that pic. So good!

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I'm not sure which batch you tried but if you or anyone is looking for a fantastic, and really unique bottle try and find the 3rd release of Jefferson's Ocean. It's much less intense than the first two attempts and tastes like salted caramel.

At $60 a bottle I think you'd be hard pressed to find as good of a deal on some really tasty and unique bourbon these days.
    Boss just dropped a bottle of Voyage No 4 on my desk. Wondering if that's implicit approval to start drinking it at lunch

Had a good time doing the Heaven Hill distillery tour a few weeks ago. Great tour and decent tastings at the end.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435723792.563256.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	167990
    I'll have to put that one on the list next time I'm in KY.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I haven't been overwhelmed by any of those orphan barrel releases. They've all been good but, if not for the age statements, I'd be hard pressed to find the value in them. Still, as older bourbons become more difficult to get and more expensive when you can get them maybe the orphan barrel products have their place. Diageo's management seems to be pretty well advised but their focus on bottom line takes precedence over delivering quality and value to the consumer.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

In and of itself, age is beginning to mean less to me. It catches my attention when I'm looking around but it doesn't always seem to guarantee better whiskey...even though that can certainly be the case.

OTOH, my current approach to bourbon (and rye) is that I've kind of stopped trying different bottles and settled on 7 labels for the day to day stash. That, and keeping a lookout for hard to find things like Pappy and old Sazerac.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Boss just dropped a bottle of Voyage No 4 on my desk. Wondering if that's implicit approval to start drinking it at lunch
    I'll be curious to know how that one drinks, haven't seen the latest Voyage at my local booze purveyor yet. I stocked up and got two more of the #3 Ocean in anticipation of Christmas gifts for family.

Yeah, I think they'll be getting Amazon gift cards instead.

Very stoked! Scored a 2015 release of George T. Stagg 138.2 proof. Price was premium, but not stupid. Looking forward to comparing it to the older (2013 I think) Stagg that I got from Cruiser. 2013 is some of the best bourbon I have ever had. Still think the Evan Williams Single Barrel is one of teh best deals going.

BTAC is hitting shelves already!? Wow. The evaporation on this year's GTS is pretty insane. Interested to hear how it tastes. I got a bottle of 2014 GTS, but highly doubt I'll be able to even see a bottle of BTAC this year, let alone buy one. Good on you!

I've got a honey hole here in ATL for the big dollar releases (no I'm not sharing, you heathens ) But I've got to say, it's nice to see the insane prices tempering a bit. I actually found a bottle of Black Maple Hill when I stopped in tonight on a whim when I was out that way for a very reasonable price (rumor is it's not being produced anymore). For the money, the rarity, and the age, I was more than happy to fork over $100. I'm still convinced the kid behind the counter had no idea what he was selling.

Yay, bourbon!

That's a hell of a score of it's the real stuff!!! I haven't had the really good BMH in years. Then the decent stuff dried up a couple years ago. The new release (OR distilled) stuff I tasted was terrible.

It's the real deal. Was concerned about the same thing so I poured two glasses for my wife and I, one from a 1/2 bottle of BMH we have in the bar and one from the new bottle. Same stuff.

Further confirmed when I talked to my buddy last night who lives close to the Honey Hole Liquor Store and he was pissed as shit that the bottle was gone when he got there - he got a call from the bourbon guy when he got into work saying "hey buddy, got a single bottle of BMH that came in off a purchase from a local collector that was moving". Oh, and the sale price was supposed to be way more than what I paid. Update your POS system fellas

Quiver pic. This thread has cost me a few $$; all well enjoyed. Quite a few trophies in this mix.

Name:	12278929_10206497602091487_2554992194438519227_n.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	172445

Time to open that Noah's Mill, Mike!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoMike View Post
    Quiver pic. This thread has cost me a few $$; all well enjoyed. Quite a few trophies in this mix.

Name:	12278929_10206497602091487_2554992194438519227_n.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	172445
    Respect.